Talk

Advanced search

Foundation Makes Me Look Older

(17 Posts)
NWThreeMum Thu 08-Nov-12 02:30:17

I love makeup and I'm always tempted by the claims cosmetics companies make about their foundation. I've tired them all, YSL, Chanel, Lancome, Bobbi Brown... But it always ends up making me look older, no matter how dewy or light the finish. It sinks into my lines and emphasises my nose to mouth lines particularly. Does anyone else feel the same?

ATourchOfInsanity Thu 08-Nov-12 02:35:40

Have you tried the blemish balms instead? I found the same thing with fine lines around the eyes being shown up, even when wearing no powder.

If the BB's don't work for you or are too light, perhaps a base before foundation would help? I know there are pore minimisers and things - should do a similar 'cementing over the cracks' job on lines, I think?

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 08-Nov-12 02:37:53

have you tried tinted moisturisers at all if foundation is too heavy?

failing that - if you need the coverage i would go to the cosmetics dept of a large department store like debenhams or some such and get them to recommend and apply a suitable product.

that way you can try before you buy. there will be something out there light enough - its just finding it!

valiumredhead Thu 08-Nov-12 09:13:53

You need mineral foundation instead!

polyhymnia Thu 08-Nov-12 09:50:10

Tinted moisturisers are the way to go, I think. Don't emphasis the lines like ordinary foundation with a lot of powder in. And usually have a built-in glowy look. Laura Mercier's is excellent.

digerd Thu 08-Nov-12 11:07:47

Yes. I have a very dry skin, and even when younger could not wear anything with powder in it. Also I felt as if my skin could not breathe. A year ago, i bought an Avon Total Radiance moisturiser and applied a shiny lipstick to cheeks - a trick for the older woman. However, after my 2 hour dance class which is very low key and don't sweat, a male aquaintance asked if I was OK, as my face was looking all sweaty !!! I said, " It's not sweaty, it is looking RADIANT !!?? " But changed the shiny lipstick for an oil baked blusher on my cheeks, and not had those comments again. I do not wear foundation anymore.

mignonette Thu 08-Nov-12 11:13:47

I have never worn foundation nor will I. Unless you cannot bear to be without, I'd stop bothering with it.

DonaAna Thu 08-Nov-12 11:16:17

My MIL (70+) swears by Estee Lauder Daywear products.
Her skin looks amazing.

BegoniaBigtoes Thu 08-Nov-12 11:18:22

Yes maybe you just don't need any. But if you feel you do, try a primer like Benefit pore-fessional (or there are millions of others but that's what I have atm) - it smooths out your skin before the foundation goes on. I also mix my foundation (une skin glow) with an equal amount of moisturizer.

DolomitesDonkey Thu 08-Nov-12 11:18:33

I never needed foundation when I was younger, I had great skin - but as I hurtle towards 40, 8 glasses of water and an 8pm bedtime still won't cut it. I need foundation.

I just noticed this morning actually despite being as blind as a bat, that the primer I put on my skin first ironed out my crow's feet - filled in the lines with silicone. I have a variety as I'm a total cosmetics whore - but right now I'm using L'Oreal Studio Secrets.

cedge Thu 08-Nov-12 19:49:42

I vote for as natural as possible!
Moisturised rosey skin with some lines looks better than dried out skin with foundation.

noddyholder Thu 08-Nov-12 19:50:19

I use a bb cream mixed with tinted moisturiser

totallyfrazzled Thu 08-Nov-12 22:15:30

Totally agree with polyphim Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser is the way to go. If you have the odd area that needs more help I can recommend benefits cover up - comes in a small pot and does the trick.

scripsi Thu 08-Nov-12 22:50:05

I found that mineral foundation made my fine lines look worse. I am better with a high coverage foundation like Estee Lauder Double Wear, but applied very thinly on well moisturised skin.

Eliza22 Fri 09-Nov-12 08:54:16

Scripsi... That's my tactic. I switch between EL Double Wear Light and original Double Wear but, I don't ladle it on. A light application with a proper pink blush makes me look alive and I don't think I look wrinkled. I'm 50. I expect to have days when I look great (considering I'm not 25 anymore) and days when I look tired.

Without makeup..... I look soooo washed out. Not pale in a good way, just flat and washed out. My sister who's 52 NEVER does foundation. She doesn't need to as she, like my mum, has that healthy pinkness to her skin, naturally. BUT, now that we're ageing gues who has fewest wrinkles and age spots? And I firmly believe that having used foundation with SPF, for years, I've managed to keep the lines at bay, pretty much. smile

QuinnFabray Fri 09-Nov-12 11:15:43

I have to wear foundation, as I have broken veins all over my nose and cheeks. Well, I don't HAVE to, but . . .

I'm 37, so can still get away with foundation if I'm careful, but the lines and wrinkles are starting to appear, and it's a concern of mine. I think I'd rather look powdery and old than go bare-faced with my bad complexion.

aquavit Fri 09-Nov-12 11:29:38

another vote for Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser - I have the same problem with foundations as you OP (also they settle in dry patches, ugh), but the tm is brilliant

I use a little loose powder on top too, specially on shiny bits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now