Talk

Advanced search

I love dresses but what the bloody hell do I wear on my feet in winter?

(13 Posts)
pennyhill Wed 07-Nov-12 20:11:09

In the summer, it's all so straightforward - dress and pair of sandals/ballet flats. But it suddenly gets so complicated in winter and I'm confused.

For example, I have this dress and I have no idea what to wear with it. I want to wear it in the daytime - but what shoes?

I have a couple of Cos dresses too, that I really, really like, and wear all the time at home - when I leave the house, I put on some knee-high boots... and it doesn't look quite right.

Should I be thinking thick opaques and ballet flats? Or brogues??

For the love of God, someone help me. Please. I don't want to be stuck in jeans for the next 6 months.

ISingSoprano Wed 07-Nov-12 20:15:12

I wear boots with dresses in the winter. I bought a pair of black patent boots last winter and get lots of compliments when I wear them.

reindeerjumper Wed 07-Nov-12 20:15:13

I have biker boots, DMs and ankle boots I wear with dresses.

MrsRogerSterling Wed 07-Nov-12 20:31:44

Brougues would look great with the dress you linked too. I wear dresses most days and in winter I wear them with ankle boots or biker boots. Not a fan of knee boots.

pennyhill Wed 07-Nov-12 20:35:53

I know knee boots are dated... I like them with skinny jeans, but not keen with the dresses. Am working on getting some ankle boots, and I know everyone wears them with dresses too, but they wouldn't work with that Boden one.

Hmmm. Brogues.

Themilkybarisonme Wed 07-Nov-12 21:06:38

I'm wearing these www.dune.co.uk/mobile/melissa-d-slouched-calf-boot-prodmelissad83tan/ at the moment with my navy dresses and skirts

lizziebach Wed 07-Nov-12 21:14:07

I have www.schuh.co.uk/womens-black-dr-martens-triumph-1914/1407187020/ these which are fab with day dresses although possibly not so with the dressier one you liked to.

On a side note, I wore these to go to an afternoon ballet on Saturday. My dad was huffing and puffing because he thought they weren't dressy enough. Then my sister turned up in the exact same shoes...

moonstorm Wed 07-Nov-12 21:15:24

Knee boots dated??? <faints>

mirpuppet Wed 07-Nov-12 21:20:34

When it is really cold I'm sure many will get over the fact that knee high bots are "dated" and decide to wear them to keep warm.

sansucre Wed 07-Nov-12 21:22:41

I wear a lot of COS, an embarrassing amount in fact, I also rarely if ever wear trousers, although I am a fan of shorts. I wear mostly dresses and skirts. I do own a few pairs of knee high boots but they do feel very dated and haven't worn them for quite a few years, the pair of over-the knee boots I do own do still feel rather current so intend to wear them a lot this winter too. I also find ballet shoes and most flat pumps totally wrong in winter so tend to stick to brogues, Oxfords, ankle boots, both flat and high and Converse. I also have a few pairs of mid-heel mary-janes and a lovely pair of Marni-esque shoes too. I find the shoes I wear most often are my white Oxfords and a pair of two-tone Grenson brogues. I don't like shoe boots at all, wedges either apart from a lovely pair of black Ash wedge boots I got last year.
It took me a long time to get used to the idea of flat lace-ups with dresses and skirts but now I have, I find most other footwear odd!

I find it's also useful to own a wide selection of tights, different thickness and weights. Colourwise the palette is fairly narrow - black, grey (quite a few shades) and the odd pattern. I don't really like bright colour tights but am thinking about buying some colbalt blue ones from COS.

libertychick Wed 07-Nov-12 21:26:51

I got these and they are great with opaques and dresses/skirts - very comfy too.

Ilovecrossfit Wed 07-Nov-12 21:31:45

Ive got brogues and wear with my dress what i got on my last shopping trip is a pair of Chelsea Boots-broque front style from Russel & Bromleys and they look lovelyw ith a dress or pair of skinnies. Also a nice pair of ankle boots or even long boots would look lovely.

Btw I LOVE Cos.

pennyhill Wed 07-Nov-12 22:07:14

Thanks everyone. I love COS too, I went in there today, there was so much I liked. It seems brogues are the way to go, I am going to investigate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now