Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Serum over moisturiser?

(13 Posts)
WaitingForMe Wed 07-Nov-12 18:46:19

One of my favourite products is Estee Lauder Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator which I've always put on before my moisturiser. I just read that the editor of Red magazine puts hers on after.

What are peoples thoughts on the pros and cons of each approach?

NWThreeMum Thu 08-Nov-12 01:58:16

put it on before, I'd say. Moisturiser is basically a barrier that will block out the effective ingredients of the serum ... if you put it on after it will lock the serum in

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 08-Nov-12 02:06:53

id go for before too - i use the probably much cheaper boots perfect and protect serum and always use it under moisturiser.

SorrelForbes Thu 08-Nov-12 09:13:38

I'm pretty sure that the EL Illuminator should go on after moisturiser. Sort of like a primer. In the interest if research for MN I have just put a bit on under moisturiser and it doesn't look as good.

valiumredhead Thu 08-Nov-12 09:14:13

AFTER!

HousewifefromBethlehem Thu 08-Nov-12 09:15:45

You learn something new everyday!!

HousewifefromBethlehem Thu 08-Nov-12 09:16:54

I've got the purple one for wrinkles. No wonder ive still got them!!! grin

SorrelForbes Thu 08-Nov-12 09:26:33

Just checked the bottle and it does says 'before moisturiser'. Strange. Oh well...

valiumredhead Thu 08-Nov-12 09:27:24

Perhaps different ones are designed to go on before or after?

polyhymnia Thu 08-Nov-12 09:47:37

Serums before moisturiser, primer/illuminator after. Just a question of working out which a product is!

WaitingForMe Thu 08-Nov-12 10:35:08

I think it's pretty pricey for a primer/illuminator so that defines it as a serum for me and I'll keep it going on under. My priority is slowly fading my small age spot and preventing new ones rather than general brightening.

digerd Thu 08-Nov-12 12:03:55

Moisturiser first and illuminator over it. Moisturiser over the illuminator will defeat the object of both.

digerd Thu 08-Nov-12 12:07:45

And serums first. I loved my Aramis serum

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: