Talk

Advanced search

Buying two of the same thing...

(24 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Tue 06-Nov-12 11:36:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dawndonna Tue 06-Nov-12 11:37:33

I've just done exactly the same thing. Also with a jumper. It's only a Sainsbury's one but I love it, so I have the purple and the navy.

Annianni Tue 06-Nov-12 11:47:49

I've got some jeans in 4 colours, vests in multiple colours, and 3 v neck cashmere jumpers bloody things are too small at the moment though

What you will find is that you wear one colour way more than the others though.

dreamingofsun Tue 06-Nov-12 11:55:38

i have got 2 skirts and 2 dresses which are exactly the same...same colour and all. i love them both and knew i would get lots of wear out of them and if i had 2 (1 bought cheaply in sale) i wouldn't mind so much if one got damaged. also 2 cashmere cardis exactly the same incl colour because they were so cheap.

if you love something you love it and will get lots of use from it.

MarshaBrady Tue 06-Nov-12 11:57:17

I haven't but I would buy the Céline bag I have in another colour because I love the other colours.

Djembe Tue 06-Nov-12 12:00:17

Gap do fantastic banana flats in leather, I have them in brown and black and want the pewter ones.

Next step is buying the exact same item twice so when one wears out, you have a spare smile I have done this with Primark shoes

brighthair Tue 06-Nov-12 12:01:21

I always buy things in different colours if I love them. Bought a dress in purple recently, went back for the emerald green and a black and white spotty one!!

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Tue 06-Nov-12 12:05:03

Brought a shirt recently which i loved and brought another two in different colours and i am wearing a jumper from Boden today that is so lovely i have just ordered another one and will probably get the other two when they arrive!

I have some leather flats i brought in Next recently, got them in brown and went back for the blue.

I also have six pairs of Converse in different colours.

You are perfectly normal.

strictlycaballine Tue 06-Nov-12 14:27:37

Makes total sense to me.

I've bought six of the same thing before now!! (Three in one colour and three in another.)

But I'm a strange shape -and if I see something that fits and is the right colour then I definitely need more than one.

I also live in the country where the clothes are designed for much smaller people than me, so stuff that fits is hard to find!

Also (as you can probably guess) I tend to deliberately wear a sort of "uniform" because (a) it's easy to organise (b) it's economical to wear things that are the same colour(s) because accessories/bags all match etc (c) I want to look well turned out/coordinated but I'm terminally lazy grin

strictlycaballine Tue 06-Nov-12 14:28:14

live in a country

dashoflime Tue 06-Nov-12 14:30:18

I do it too. If you really like it then why not?

Hopefully Tue 06-Nov-12 16:32:21

I have done it, but find that if I buy two colours I end up favouring one.

DonaAna Tue 06-Nov-12 16:34:28

I do it a lot and always regret it. I always prefer one of them and don't wear the other enough to justify having them both. No more duplicates for me.

theoriginalandbestrookie Tue 06-Nov-12 16:42:38

Gosh no I bought two t shirts of the same style but different colours in Next at the weekend - primarily because I was sooo excited that I could fit into a size 12 again (have lost some weight recently) but also because I liked them and I find it hard to find t shirts I like.

DameEnidsOrange Tue 06-Nov-12 16:44:24

Nigella does it with dresses apparently - although I suspect her budget is a bit higher than the rest of us

jessiegee Tue 06-Nov-12 17:31:54

DonaAna I do that! Buy 2 but always prefer one in terms of fit. The other one sits in the wardrobe unworn and unloved. From now on something will have to be very rare and virtually impossible to replicate before I do duplicates again.

lurkingaround Tue 06-Nov-12 19:32:38

I've done it too, with not great success either. Seems one gets worn loads, and I go off the second (or third). I'm still occasionally beyond tempted to do it again, I try and resist. Just doesn't work for me.

Levantine Tue 06-Nov-12 20:16:15

I used to buy something in a second colour if I really liked it, but the second colour wouldn't get worn much. Now I just buy two or more of the same thing.

Eliza22 Wed 07-Nov-12 09:10:24

Yep. Do it often. Most recently two empire line dresses in different colourways cause they really flatter my shape.

Trills Wed 07-Nov-12 09:11:47

I've done it a number of times.

If it's something reasonably plain, it works.

If it's quite a distinctive item people may notice.

Aquelven Wed 07-Nov-12 10:20:01

I do it a lot.
Especially if I've bought something, love it, then it turns up on sale.

Makes sense to me if you love an item. Next time you want something similar to replace it you can guarantee there'll be nothing out there!

WineOhWhy Wed 07-Nov-12 10:32:21

I do it for my DCs (different colours) becuase (1) they are of an age when they are starting to get fussy about clothes, and (2) they are very skinny for their height so can be hard to find trousers etc which are a good fit.

I have not done it for myself that I can recall. On the other hand, because I am overweight, there are a limited number of things that suit me. Hence, I have lots of very similar dresses (wrap or faux wrap style) which although from different shops probably do look like the same dress in different colours to others.

pictish Wed 07-Nov-12 10:33:37

No it's sensible!
You'll get plenty of wear out of it!

MarshaBrady Wed 07-Nov-12 10:36:03

I just remembered I have. Two V bruno knit dresses with same knit belt. One got eaten by moths the other didn't. The lighter one got eaten, navy untouched.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now