Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me wear something other than skinny jeans & t-shirts!!

(10 Posts)
BobandBenway Sun 04-Nov-12 15:47:46

Hello!

I need some help with what to wear! I've got a few nights out coming up, gigs etc, and I'm fed up with always wearing jeans! I want something a bit "wow!", however, I've no idea what to wear, what style, where to look etc!

I'm 5'4 and a size 10. I like to think I'm a bit "rock chick", but no idea where to go with that other than skinny jeans. I'm thinking maybe a dress or skirt, as my legs are ok. However, I'm 38 so no idea what kind of look I can pull off now at my age!

If it helps, I have these boots: www.soletrader.co.uk/Dr-Martens-New-Authentic-Wedge-Boots/pid-3A63TEAL
and a pair of scruffy old vintage cowboy boots (though I've never worn them with a skirt or dress for fear of looking like I'm going line dancing!)

I don't own any heeled shoes as I haven't worn a skirt or dress for ages!

Please help me with some ideas!

LightTheGooTouchpaper Sun 04-Nov-12 19:26:16

I do a lot of skinny jeans and boots, because it's easy.

If I tart it up with a scarf I feel much more together.

Yes you can get away with a skirt, it's not much of a stretch to go to a denim skirt (probably charcoal if you are ROCK) and some thick tights?

What about a blazer? Then you keep the jeans but tart them up a bit.

I wear a few dresses but I have struggled to find anything I like recently.

LightTheGooTouchpaper Sun 04-Nov-12 19:27:06

Oh, and the dresses are worn with boots. It's ok to look like your 1995 self now apparently grin

BobandBenway Mon 05-Nov-12 11:05:34

Oh that's good to know - I quite liked my 1995 self!! (if only I still looked like her!)

Shall have a look about for some skirts - not sure if straight / A-line or more floaty though?? And then what to wear on top??

I saw some nice tops in the Great Plains catalogue that would look good with black skinny jeans. Not sure if I should stick with the boots I have or look for some ankle boots?? I love my doc martens, but think I prefer a heel when dressing up.

I think I feel more comfortable in the jeans (and I think I look better!), so perhaps best to stick to that look? (what am I like!) It's just I've been out of the loop so long I have no idea what really suits me anymore or how to dress up, and when I do I have a fear of looking like I'm stuck in a rut or not dressing my age!

SavoyCabbage Mon 05-Nov-12 11:19:26

Ohhh, I've got those boots. I don't wear them with skirts/dresses very much as they are gappy at the top with tights.

SavoyCabbage Mon 05-Nov-12 11:22:37

Have you seen the LadyVLondon website. We have the same taste in boots so we might like the same dresses too!

BobandBenway Mon 05-Nov-12 12:04:33

Oh Savoy, those dresses are gorgeous, but sadly not me! I'm not very curvy at all so would look ridiculous in them!

That's a good point re the boots being gappy with tights, I never thought of that!

BobandBenway Wed 07-Nov-12 01:07:52

What about this skirt? www.greatplains.co.uk/product/womens+Skirts/J3AU8/Teia+Leather+Tab+Skirt.htm

OK, it's pricy, but I like the sort of retro look, and that it's brown and not black so a bit different. Could I get away with it?! Also, what to wear with it - no idea what kind of top, what boots/shoes, what colour tights, what jacket even! See, this is why I've been sticking to my safe jeans & t-shirt look!

cathyandclaire Wed 07-Nov-12 09:36:42

Sorry, shamelessly marking spot as I love that skirt and have one like it in my wardrobe and have no clue what to wear it with. I think the brown/wine colour combo works on the model though...

BobandBenway Wed 07-Nov-12 15:37:15

Shamelessly bumping! grin

I have red hair, so was thinking something blue / teal would go with the brown?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now