Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about thigh high/over the knee boots

(22 Posts)
ToothGah Sat 03-Nov-12 13:11:29

I (think) I really want some. But I don't want to look like a pirate.

I'm struggling to find what I'm after (it's one of those that I'll know what I'm looking for when I see them) and I'm torn between high heels and flat.

They have to be suede, I think - no shiny leather or PVC.

Does anybody wear them? Could someone help me to find some please? Or are they awful?

I'm a size 8.

Catsmamma Sat 03-Nov-12 13:13:39

you might not look like a pirate, more like Puss in Boots.

it's a very very difficult look to carry off for everyone.

Hopefully Sat 03-Nov-12 14:39:14

I tried on some (££££) 5050s in R&B the other day, which were gorgeous suede. Didn't work on me for some reason, I thought they would. Made my legs look stumpy.

digerd Sat 03-Nov-12 18:01:04

I had a gorgeous pair in high heels in 1982. Wore them to a job interview as a teacher in a secondary school and got it - Male head teacher. I looked very elegant in them, nothing like a pirate <preens>

RedGreenRouge Sat 03-Nov-12 18:04:37

I have some PVC ones, which are definitely awful. I can't really envision suede ones, other than pirate boots. I got mine at a fancy dress shop, so no tips there either. Sorry, not very helpful.

Phwooooar Sat 03-Nov-12 18:06:59

I have some flat black suede ones from R&B and absolutely love them. Have had them for years but they are twice the price now. Mainly wear with skirts/dresses - don't tuck things in them. I'm a size 8.5 and 5'9".

Fuckitthatlldo Sat 03-Nov-12 18:10:01

I have some high heeled black leather ones that sit on rather than over the knee IYSWIM.

They work well I think. High enough to be noticeable, but not so mid-thigh that you begin to look like a pirate, or worse, a hooker.

digerd Sun 04-Nov-12 18:34:58

Made me laugh " hooker". Never seen mid thigh boots, but suppose no point in wearing them to hide, so would have to be worn with a tiny mini skirt - definately a hooker look !! If worn over thick tights/jeggings, would look more like going fishing, especially if worn with a long jumper to cover bum and thighs.

digerd Sun 04-Nov-12 18:37:25

Over the knee boots would be uncomfortable when sitting down -if not wide and soft - back of knee rubbing

MoomieAndFreddie Sun 04-Nov-12 18:41:00

i just got some suede ones

posted a thread about them but not many have replied sad

so will watch this one instead

MidlandsGirl Mon 08-Dec-14 12:38:27

I bought some flat over the knee boots in black (faux) leather a couple of years ago, wear with leggings, jeggings, all length of skirts, and have almost worn them to death – shopping, work, church, everywhere.
No adverse comments at all.

PS I'm 55, 5'8" and long legs.

redredread Mon 08-Dec-14 19:53:49

Duo have some over knee boots in different calf measurements. Sorry can't link from phone but there's definitely a suede pair amongst them, which comes in black or dark teal/green

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 19:59:20

I got some flat ones from next. Decided they were a hassle to put on and off

Eustasiavye Mon 08-Dec-14 19:59:51

I was thinking your dress or skirt would have to be very short to wear with thigh high boots too.
I'm getting a totally different picture about knee length boots which I do think look good.
Thigh high ones I think would be more limiting.

Comito Mon 08-Dec-14 20:01:45

I have some flat suede ones. I only wear them with knitted dresses and opaque tights.

I actually regret buying them as they were expensive and their wear:value ratio is not good.

WowserBowser Mon 08-Dec-14 20:03:51

They can be very handy actually. I saw on a documentary or maybe a film once that you can keep your condoms in them.

The 5050's mentioned down thread are the ones. But exxy. Mine are dead now but lasted years. I'm about 5'9" and they are quite high though even on me. A little limiting. Bear structure in mind too. Most will head a bit south over the years.

Homepride1 Mon 08-Dec-14 21:44:21

I have some, wore them out for first time at the weekend and got lots of compliments, mine are brown suede with a chunky heel from H&M , wire with skinny jeans!

I do also have a black pair with stiletto heel but have to be more careful about what I style them with!

Think the previous poster is right though they don't suit everyone, I'm tall 5"7 with long slim legs, but my shorter friend tried them and they just didn't work

RojaGato Wed 10-Dec-14 00:39:14

How about these?

www.baukjen.com/uk/shop/baukjen/shoes/lola-cruz-high-boot-black.htm

honeycrest Wed 10-Dec-14 02:51:26

I've fallen I love with these recently. I'm going to try them on next time I'm shopping. They're a bit pricey but I've seen some pretty good copies from Dune if my budget won't stretch that far.

These are the ones mentioned earlier Honeycrest. They are really nice although exxy of course. Mine did last for years and took quite a long time to become just a bit loose. But they were worn to death. I have in the end bought some Dune ones just a few weeks (but brown suede rather the black leather I had previously). The Dune ones are nice and were 75 quid in the sale. No comparison pricewise. They are much thinner and actually seem much shorter . In fact although I expected then to be over the knee, in fact they are not really. But I like them and in fact they are somewhat more wearable than the 5050's as a result.

MuttonCadet Wed 10-Dec-14 05:35:34

I have the dune ones and love them.
I do feel a bit principal boy in them, but that's no bad thing. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now