Talk

Advanced search

bought this zara shirt, love it, but beware the sizing

(7 Posts)
scripsi Sat 03-Nov-12 13:06:55

I love Edwardian type stuff coupled with black skinny jeans etc. So I found this Zara top and it is absolutely lovely
www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-neu-W2012/269186/827271/VICTORIAN%20TOP%20WITH%20LACE%20DETAIL

But, I tried on a size small in the changing rooms, it was incredibly tight round the neck (couldn't do it up): I don't think I have an incredibly thick neck hmm. Then I found some more of the same top in the same size, and took them to the changing rooms on the off chance (as it was so obviously oddly sized): every single one had a different fit (one was absolutely huge round the neck, and in Goldilocks style, the third one was just right). I double checked and every single one was labelled the same size (both in the top and on the tags).
Then I took some blazers (multiples of same size and same blazer) into the changing room and the same thing happened again: I wonder how often Zara sizing is totally random?
I usually try one, if it's the wrong size or fit I just give up. In future I'll be taking multiples into the changing room.
It also means I won't be ordering Zara online as it seems so unpredictable.

ruby22 Sat 03-Nov-12 13:40:12

I've seen that top online but never seen it instore, is very Isabel Marant-ish. I do find their sizing quite odd and if I get to the store always try on lots in same/different sizes to get the right fit. Have even been known to order 2 of each size for online orders for stuff they don't have at my local Zara which is quite small.

scripsi Sat 03-Nov-12 14:06:36

thanks Ruby22 - it is a really lovely top. Was walking around pretending I was in Parade's End earlier (with my suffragette ways).

Had no idea about the Zara sizing issue: glad to hear it's not just me (with my huge neck) but it's not great, is it? You shouldn't have to order two and doubtless pay the return postage!

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 03-Nov-12 14:17:01

Its because they will be from different batches made up from different machinists. Years ago when 99% of the clothes were made by UK companies our garments were measured in the factory after they were made. The seams ect all checked by every inch scrutinised before it left them. Again it would be checked at the other end. Quality control does not apper to exist in the rag trade anymore so a lot of stuff in shops these days are shoddy materail or shoddy made on decent fabric. Such a shame the decline in an industry that created thousands of jobs.

justasecond Sun 04-Nov-12 20:07:11

Lovely top. Zara is awful for inconsistency in sizing. I recently bought a coat that had a 1inch variation in the sleeve length between 2 mediums and about 2 inches on the overall length! I had to try about 6 to get one that was just right.

anniewoo Sun 04-Nov-12 20:25:39

Zara. Sizing. Get a grip grin

SomethingOnce Sun 04-Nov-12 22:07:15

I've found variation in length, sleeve length etc in other shops too.

But because not all size 12 people have, say, exactly the same length arms, it can almost be seen as a plus (unless you're buying online) as you can often find the perfect fit if you try a few on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now