Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a tailor in London? DP needs a made to measure suit...

(17 Posts)
Jolielaide Sat 03-Nov-12 11:29:40

DP is going to be best man at his brother's wedding and wants to splash out on a made to measure suit. He sees it as an investment piece and is willing to spend £1000-1500.

He's never had a tailor-made suit before, and seems a little overwhelmed by the prospect of Savile Row.

Any recommendations?

horsebiscuit Sat 03-Nov-12 11:43:41

DH got a lovely suit made for our wedding by Dress2kill (awful name). It was eight years ago now but I would have recommended them then. Sometimes they have deals in the Evening Standard or (I think) Groupon.

tomatoplantproject Sat 03-Nov-12 11:48:20

Charlie Allen just off Upper St in Angel. Tis lovely in there and Charlie himself is very cheerful and friendly. DH had his shirt and tie made for our wedding and has just gone back to have a suit made.

cardoon Sat 03-Nov-12 12:28:40

I second horsebicuit....I met a man on the street who looked so good I asked him where his suit was from blush....D2K...

sansucre Sat 03-Nov-12 12:50:55

To be completely honest, you're not going to be able to buy a bespoke suit on Savile Row (or Jermyn Street) for that kind of money. However, most of the tailors will have a selection of 'off the peg' suits that can be tailored to fit, I think the sum your husband is proposing to spend might cover this.

It's also worth looking in Ermenegildo Zegna as the suiting in there is excellent and although it's not bespoke, it's very, very good.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Nov-12 13:08:22

We had a good experience with A Suit That Fits - they get them made in Nepal, but in a fair trade sort of way.

BobbiFleckmann Sat 03-Nov-12 13:14:31

you could get savile row for that if you want the more fashiony end- Mark Marengo or RIchard James. MM does part tailored as a compromise between off the peg and m-t-m and his brother who runs the shop is lovely

jammietart Sat 03-Nov-12 13:20:38

I'm sure DH has had made to measure suits from Zegna for around £1000. It was a couple of years ago and their entry level material but still very good. And their shirts.

jammietart Sat 03-Nov-12 13:25:35

Sorry I know you wanted a tailor but what I meant is you can still get made to measure, bespoke suits for your budget, you don't have to resort to off the peg.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Sat 03-Nov-12 13:29:07

DH has used Roy Cain in Epping. I believe full made to measure and should be within or under your budget. Good results.

NorthernNumpty Sat 03-Nov-12 13:29:42

You would get a made to measure suit from Gieves and Hawkes (Saville row) for that sort of money. My DH gets his work suits there and they are such good quality they last forever so a good investment. Bespoke is a different thing altogether, a suit designed for you rather than a suit made in your size. You would pay £3k plus for that,

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Sat 03-Nov-12 13:29:48

Maybe I mean bespoke? I get confused with the terms...

NorthernNumpty Sat 03-Nov-12 13:30:26

Meant to say, they are lovely in G&H not intimidating at all.

espanol Sat 03-Nov-12 13:32:37

Gresham Blake - based in Brighton and London. DH has had 2 suits made there - around £800 I think. Both fantastic suits - he looks amazing in them. DH said the service was sometimes a bit poor (e.g. not ready when they said, had to wait a few days extra) but is very pleased with the suits.

Fermin Sat 03-Nov-12 13:40:20

Second Gresham Blake. My husband had his suit made by them for our wedding last year. It's absolutely gorgeous. Amazing attention to detail and vast range of fabrics and linings. They make suits for a lot of celebs.

Jolielaide Sat 03-Nov-12 14:01:15

Thank you for all the recommendations so far! Lots of the companies mentioned are, handily, fairly close to Dp's work too.

I hadn't realised that the terminology of tailoring was such a minefield grin; but I suspect that he's after a suit to be made up in his size and choice of fabric. His brother lives abroad (in a more humid climate), so he's going to have to have it made up in a slightly lighter fabric than would generally be available off the peg here.

FoxtrotFoxtrotSierra Sat 03-Nov-12 14:05:31

Another vote for D2K here - DH had some suits from them that looked great and lasted forever.

Don't, whatever you do, go to a suit that fits. The quality is shocking, and the service worse. We ended up having to claim back from our credit card because they refused to refund for an awful suit - so bad that the pocket flaps were different lengths, and substantially shorter than the pockets themselves. The staff said that any discrepancies were to be expected as its a bespoke suit - I think not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now