Talk

Advanced search

So what is this messy bun...

(23 Posts)
talkingnonsense Sat 03-Nov-12 09:19:04

...and how do I do one? I keep seeing references to people looking casually glamourous in skinny jeans and a messy bun, I guess they don't mean a traditional bun with a sock/bun ring? Do they mean a ponytail with the ends not pulled through? Is there some cunning way to achieve this, or is it only for young shiny haired things? Thank you.

MoomieAndFreddie Sat 03-Nov-12 09:22:21

ohhhhhh i REALLY want to know this too

its like really high, on the top of people's heads, but kind of, artfully dishevelled

so am watching in hope someone more stylish than i comes along to tell us how its done

trixymalixy Sat 03-Nov-12 10:55:23

I do a messy bun using a bun ring. I put my hair in a high ponytail, put the bun ring at the base of the ponytail, back comb the hair slightly, arrange the hair so it is falling evenly over the bun ring (like a fountain IYSWIM) and sweep it around the bin ring and pin.

germyrabbit Sat 03-Nov-12 10:56:31

what a bun ring? we used to eat those grin

lemonbonbons Sat 03-Nov-12 10:57:49

If you type it into YouTube there loads of 'how to' videos.
My hair doesn t seem thick enough to get it looking right

Charliefox Sat 03-Nov-12 11:47:00

Or you can use a sock instead.

Personally, for me a messy bun means do a ponytail then backcomb it like crazy. Then use pins to pin it up in a bun, but not pulling it tightly/trying to make it too neat. The backcombing makes it big and slightly disheveled but also helps it stay up.

BeauNeidel Sat 03-Nov-12 13:06:38

I agree with stat. My buns aren't messy as I can't make myself do anything other than a severe bun. I used to do ballet, y'see. Can't get out of the mindset!

talkingnonsense Sat 03-Nov-12 16:45:00

Thank you. My hair is wavy so I hate back combing it- loses the curl for frizz and tangles! I do do neatish with a bun ring ( like a net doughnut, from boots or Claire's, rabbit!) for work. I think perhaps you need shiny to make messy look good!

MadAboutHotChoc Sat 03-Nov-12 20:22:28

My DD does one, usually for school.

She has long wavy hair which is put into a high ponytail and then doubled over into a thick loop to create a bun and then the hair is arranged to cover the band. It actually works well and is practical.

All my ends fall out, no matter how many pins I use.

SorrelForbes Sat 03-Nov-12 20:25:35

That's how I do min SC.

RedZombie Sat 03-Nov-12 20:25:46

I can't quite get it to look the right kind of dishevelled. It either too neat, like a 50's secretary or I look like I've just gor out of bed. Dows it work better with thick hair?

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sat 03-Nov-12 20:30:06

It is harder if your hair is long, but one of the 16yo young things in Claire's Accessories showed me how to do it. blush

You put your hair into a ponytail, then put the bun ring over it, but right near the end away from your head.

Arrange the ends artfully around the bun ring.

Then turn the bun ring inside out, over and over again, rolling your ponytail into it.

Carry on until you get to your head. Use a few bobby pins to hold it together, a spray of hairspray, and there you have it, messy bun.

And it works however long your hair is this way too. It works on DD's hair, which is just below her shoulders, and it works on my waist length hair too.

RedZombie Sat 03-Nov-12 21:15:03

Ooh I've got a teenage niece, I'll have to ask her to show me.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 03-Nov-12 22:04:32

You can also use pin twirls - again, loads of tutorials online.
I got them from Clare's - think Sainsbury's had them recently as well.

One tip I learned, which is also good for my gym pony tail, is to be quite rough and casual when you draw the hair back - use fingers, not a brush - and place the elastic away from the crown, not tight to the head. Then pull the ends to draw the band tighter, and it creates a bit of volume at the crown.
I'm sure you could back comb first to volumise even more.

I'd then use the twirl pins to make the bun except I can't as then I'd look like I was trying to copy my 15 yo DD.

hiviolet Sat 03-Nov-12 22:45:38

I wish I could do this, but I have SO MUCH HAIR, enough for two women at least wink so I really struggle to get my hair into a bun.

I've had some success with Goody Spin Pins, but I have to use at least five instead of the normal two or three sad

MoomieAndFreddie Sun 04-Nov-12 09:30:28

When I try and do a bun as well, I can never keep it in long as it always ends up really hurting my head. does anyone know how to do a bun without it hurting as much?

hiviolet I have masses of hair. My hairdresser has a note on my file saying "massive hair" so they book extra time for me! blush

The trick for me is these. They have little grooves inside which stop them slipping out and mean I don't need a hundred pins to keep my hair up! Also stops it hurting too much.

I have tried the rolling the sock bun down method as described by Couthy but find it really hard to get the ends tucked in as I roll. I have also tried spin pins on their own, they are very hit and miss, sometimes work first time, sometimes I give up after several goes, but I haven't tried them with the sock. I also find I get a sore head sometimes.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 04-Nov-12 10:03:44

I think spin Pins need an elastic first - DD did mine last night after my effort came out like a weird French pleat. Try making a ponytail first, twist it around then use 2 spin pins.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 04-Nov-12 10:07:47

This lady gets some nice effects.

HA ha oops, I did NOT check the price when I posted that link! They are available for a couple of pounds a pack online! I will find a better link blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now