Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Good (posh-looking if possible!) hairdo for a ceilidh?

(8 Posts)
ScatterChasse Fri 02-Nov-12 18:00:44

I'm going to a big black tie ceilidh in a couple of weeks, I thought I was being organised with dress and shoes all sorted but I realised I'll have to do something with my hair (or I'll get so hot), and I don't think my usual high ponytail will quite cut it!

So something that keeps my hair off my neck and face, and won't come out. I do have plenty of grips/pins and industrial strength lacquer. grin

Any ideas? smile

Matsikula Fri 02-Nov-12 20:03:12

There's a blog called a cup of jo that has loads of tutorials for DIY posh hairdos, look in the wedding hair section.

CaroleService Fri 02-Nov-12 20:04:15

Any ceilidh worth its salt will reduce a posh hairdo to rags in no time ...

DameEnidsOrange Fri 02-Nov-12 20:06:27

There is only one hairstyle for a ceilidh... wink

How long is your hair?

My hair is bra-strap length, and the only ceilidh proof thing I could do would be: blow dry with loads of volume, then backcomb slightly at the roots and pull back in to a relatively high pony, but leaving plenty of volume so it's not flat. Can leave bits loose at front to curl if appropriate, or a side swept fringe.

Then, take all of the hair in the pony and backcomb it like crazy. Then pin this in to a bun - you will end up with an impressively massive messy bun, and the backcombing (plus the mountain of hairspray) makes it a lot more robust. A normal bun will work loose, but I have very heavy but quite silky hair and that makes it stay.

CMOTDibbler Fri 02-Nov-12 20:20:15

I'd do a high bun - brush hair into a high ponytail, and do a band tightly on it. Then put a bun doughnut on, spread your hair out over it, then put another strong band over the whole lot. Twirl hair round, then use wavy pins to secure it by pinning through the dougnut and into the band at the centre.
The double band thing is actually v secure without pins, and stays solid with

JRsandCoffee Fri 02-Nov-12 21:12:29

What usually survives on me is pulling the whole lot into a pony tail, twisting it and wrapping it up the back of my head in a kind of french roll and scuring with a big posh barrette clip. If event involves young farmers or a rugby club empty a bucket of hairspray over to finish........

Those snappy bun things you get in Claire's accessories (the ones with two long velvet covered stick bits that you sort of scissor over the hair, drag down to the ends and then roll back up to your head before letting it snap back so that you end up with a super tight bun) also last pretty well although can feel quite tight on your head and taking off half way through the night is a bad idea - comedy curls abound.....

ScatterChasse Sat 03-Nov-12 14:34:13

It sounds like a bun might be the way to go then, thank you smile

And yep, from what I've heard from friends who've been before, they're a pretty enthusiastic bunch (lots of strapping twenty-something men) so I think the bucket of hairspray is definitely going to be necessary grin

Thanks for that blog Matsikula, I'm definitely going to attempt a couple of those when I get chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now