Talk

Advanced search

"Smart" dress code - eh?

(24 Posts)
MacAndCheese Fri 02-Nov-12 11:32:31

Hello smile

I'm in a bit of a quandry. After a telephone interview today I now have a "Training day" to attend tomorrow. Major Dept store. Yay!

Dress code is smart. confused

No jeans. No trainers. So, I have this dress with maybe really black tights and these boots?

Now to the second issue. Nail varnish? Jewellery? Make up?

I'm stressing blush.

notjustastateofmind Fri 02-Nov-12 11:36:43

The dress is lovely but I don't like the boots. I think a nice pair of dolly shoes would look great although it might be a bit cold. Maybe some thick grey woolly tights with leggings and socks underneath with the dress and dolly shoes would be better.

Nail varnish- somethink subtle like a French polish type thing
Jewellery- this is where I'd make my 'statement'. I'd go for big silver earrings, a long dangly silver chain and big thick silver bangles.
Make-up- yes but subtle. I'd go quite dark smokey eyes, bit of powder and blush, a smidge of lip gloss and nothing else.

You could also accessorise with a bright, bold scarf? Maybe a pink one?

That looks great to me as long as it isn't too short. I don't wear any jewellery really but wouldprobably suggest chunky necklace and/or bangle. I think re make-up and nail varnish, it doesn't really matter. I would say yes to make-up but if you don't normally wear it then I don't think you would need to change that for a training day. I wouldn't leave the house without it.

ISingSoprano Fri 02-Nov-12 11:37:01

Dress is good - much better than the ubiquitous black trousers - if you have a small waist maybe a narrow belt? Nail varnish, jewellery and make up - all subtle and understated. Good luck grin

notjustastateofmind Fri 02-Nov-12 11:37:46

Sorry, should have added no need to stress. They've invited you to a training day so they're obviously keen on you. Show up, be friendly, be enthusiatic, get involved even at the risk of making a tit of yourself and you'll be absolute fine

MamaGeekChic Fri 02-Nov-12 11:38:00

Congratulations!

What's the job?

I'd say at first glance it's not smart enough. The dress is too short- unless you are very petite? You may get away with it will black opaques and black ballet flats but not those boots. Nail polish I'd go for either dark or neutral on short tidy nails, minimal jewellry and yes to make up just not too ott.

The above does depend on job though.

notjustastateofmind Fri 02-Nov-12 11:39:50

Agree with Mama it depends of the job. I wouldn't do big dangly chain if you're going to be heaving stuff around but if its a sitting in a room listening to a Powerpoint yawn jobbie, then I would

mignonette Fri 02-Nov-12 11:39:55

Research has shown that a little make up worn at interview is beneficial. Maybe accessorise with a scarf that you can remove easily. Good grooming is the most important-clean hair, polished shoes, nails not too outre....

MacAndCheese Fri 02-Nov-12 11:40:22

It's a Christmas Temping position. Ah, I'm 5 foot 10, dress is a no then.

Jewellery - sorted
Nail varnish - sorted
Make up - natural. Got it.

mignonette Fri 02-Nov-12 11:42:34

The dress can work if you use accessories to make it non-casual. For example, wear it with a leather jacket and it's casual. Wear it with a nice scarf, a cardigan/jacket/blazer, thick wool tights and flats/mid heels and it becomes smart. Avoid sheer black tights with it-too eveningy.

MacAndCheese Fri 02-Nov-12 11:43:53

I loathe black trousers. and the only black ones I've got are jeans.

I have a vague idea of what we'll be doing - General Task, Individual Task and Interview. Eeek.

I tend to go for natural make up anyway, so thats all good.

Thank you all smile

MacAndCheese Fri 02-Nov-12 11:49:48

Ooh, I have this dress

It's mid thigh on me. sad Does that automatically make it a no? Maybe with black flats & tights (black ones) and a blazer?

ISingSoprano Fri 02-Nov-12 11:50:43

And remember to smile! It's the best accessory you have.

MamaGeekChic Fri 02-Nov-12 11:52:45

That dress is much better!

notjustastateofmind Fri 02-Nov-12 11:54:40

I like the Topshop one. Black tights and a blazer would be lovely.

For me (I regularly interview people for jobs at our company) a mid-thigh dress is fine. As long as the person wearing it isn't tottering about on 7 inch heels with full drag queen make up, I think its fine. Also with black tights I think it's no problem at all.

jumpingjackhash Fri 02-Nov-12 11:55:29

I think the first dress is better than the second. They'll want to check you're presentable - the second looks a bit too dressy to me (if you get what I mean?).

I'd wear it with a slim belt, thick plain black tights and minimal jewellery. Maybe flat black pumps if you have them.

Good luck!

jumpingjackhash Fri 02-Nov-12 11:56:46

Sorry - should clarify, my post wasn't meant to suggest you'd NOT look presentable in the second dress! But I personally prefer the first - dress for your audience and the role you want and all that.

sweetheart Fri 02-Nov-12 11:59:31

I interview at work too. I think the 2nd dress is much more appropriate - always better to be over dressed than under dressed at an interview. Limit jewellery and make sure your nails and makeup are neat adn tidy but not OTT. Also make sure you do not wear too much perfume. make sure your hair is clean, neat and tidy too.
HTH and good luck grin

MacAndCheese Fri 02-Nov-12 13:59:32

Ooh thank you all! 2nd dress advocates, ballet flats with it?

thanks

babybarrister Sat 03-Nov-12 01:24:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MacAndCheese Sat 03-Nov-12 18:50:43

Update - I wore the second one with a blazer, tights and flats. Got the job wink

Now for my induction day next week. <panics>

MushroomSoup Sat 03-Nov-12 18:59:44

Congratulations!

babybarrister Sat 03-Nov-12 21:01:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MacAndCheese Sat 03-Nov-12 23:36:33

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now