Talk

Advanced search

Swimming costume for toddler DD - recommendations

(25 Posts)
suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 06:47:16

Wrong time of year for a large choice I know but I'm looking for a new costume for DD who is nearly 2. I'd love something quite girly and want to avoid any cartoon/Disney pictures.
TIA

Bonsoir Fri 02-Nov-12 07:11:00

When DD was that age I bought lovely one-piece costumes in both Gap and Monsoon. Pretty, fitted well, lasted well.

suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 07:24:13

Thanks, I've tried both of those stores. Nothing, not even in the sales. I must be the only parent who doesn't think 6 months ahead with every purchase!
The search continues.

Bonsoir Fri 02-Nov-12 07:25:02

When do you need it for?

blueberryboybait Fri 02-Nov-12 07:26:48

We got a 2 pack of red and blue ones in the dreaded Mothercare.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 02-Nov-12 07:28:33

eBay? People often seem to sell out of season (brand new) stuff there these days.

suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 08:48:07

We are off to Centreparcs in a couple of weeks wish it was somewhere more exotic

I'll try eBay, but I may not have enough time, experienced some really slow deliveries recently.

I've found one on the Jojo website which is a lovely pattern but it's got a nappy built in which has mixed reviews. Really should be more organised!

Thanks for all your suggestions

Jo2Jo2 Fri 02-Nov-12 13:55:43

Try the kidswindow?co.uk they seem to have some decent looking ones. I am in the same predicament should have bought one in the summer!

KnockMeDown Fri 02-Nov-12 14:10:10

My local leisure centre has a nice selection of swimming cossies in all sizes - may be try yours?

Pounamu Fri 02-Nov-12 14:20:28

oh which one at JoJo do you like? We have JoJo swim suits for our DDs, this one and we just put a swim nappy on underneath for extra protection. They are lovely, a bit girly without being over the top

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 02-Nov-12 14:21:38

have you tried sports direct?

DaPrincessBride Fri 02-Nov-12 18:23:56

Have you tried Next or Mothercare?

suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 18:34:32

Pounamu that's the one I was looking at, in the Ditsy fabric. It's pretty ££ in comparison to most others on the market, but its also a lot nicer than those I've come across. How do you find the sizing? There is mixed reviews about the legs being tight?

Will also check out the other places mentioned. Thanks very much! not even prepared to think about a costume for me just yet

PrincessOfChina Fri 02-Nov-12 18:39:27

I have the same problem, except we're off to CP on Monday. DD has one cossie but I would like a spare so will hit Mothercare in hope tomorrow.

OwedToAutumn Fri 02-Nov-12 18:39:37

Try Shopstyle

suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 19:37:46

Oh god, hadn't even thought I would need a spare one. What's the worst that could happen to the ££ jojo one? They must wash pretty quickly should 2 swim nappies fail?!

As an aside, those who've been to CP, my thoughts for day fine clothes for DD was joggers/layers of comfy t shirts etc with waterproofs on over the top? She has a habit of finding puddles and mud. Am I on the right lines? I don't fancy washing whilst we are there. supposed to be a holiday in the sun, still a bit miffed

DebK2012 Fri 02-Nov-12 19:44:17

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_225020620643_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Kids~Swimwear+%26amp%3B+beachwear

PrincessOfChina Fri 02-Nov-12 19:47:35

We've only been before pre-DD but your clothes sound like I'm planning for DD. She has an all in one waterproof thing so will be in that and we'll take wellies.

Have booked a few activities for her - football, meet an Owl thing and will do lots of swimming. Will also book a sneaky spa sesh for me I think smile

Pounamu Fri 02-Nov-12 19:50:01

I have always found JoJo very generous in the sizings. DD1 is almost 3 and has only just starting wearing the 18-24mth sizes. (as an aside I recently bought her some age 2-4 tights from JoJo and when we got home and tried them on realised she probably wont fit them until she is at least 4, probably 5). DD2 is 1 and seems to do OK in the 12-18mth size.

We also haven't had a problem with leakage yet so you might be fine?

KarenHL Fri 02-Nov-12 19:50:16

I used to get DD's one-piece suits in Boots. If you find a bigger branch they do clothes (own brand is minimode) and I found them good quality and reliable on sizing. Not extortionate prices either. Might be worth checking their website.

suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 20:07:46

Princess I'm all about the spa sessions, we are going with friends and whilst we've not yet got round to booking the activities for the kids, the spa sessions and wine shopping list is sorted. Hope you get good weather!

suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 20:11:48

Pounamu I've recently discovered that tights sizing depends on colour, apparently they are all made by diff manufacturers so whilst 1-2 may fit in navy, pink won't. Very annoying as I love their tights.

Pounamu Fri 02-Nov-12 20:35:58

Really?! Wow, thanks for mentioning that, I didn't know. I really like their cream/white tights as an extra layer for the girls when it's cold, and was getting annoyed that I kept buying the wrong size. I will try other colours and see if I have more success.

OTOH, it's pretty piss poor of them not to be consistent with sizings don't you think?

suntodayplease Fri 02-Nov-12 20:49:34

There was something hidden on their website about new sizing for tights, but it really is hit and miss. It was only when i moaned to the lady in the shop that age mentioned the new manufacture. DD is 22 months and v tall and slim with size 5 feet. Fushia tights size 1-2 fit perfectly, navy, and the navy and cream tights in size 1-2 are huge, I refuse to buy 6-12 months tights for a nearly 2 yr old! Really annoyed as I love the navy and cream ones but it will be summer before she fits them!

starlight36 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:14:32

We managed to get a swimsuit last year out of season from John Lewis online. Remember price being fairly reasonable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now