Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What brand mnake up do you use and why?

(33 Posts)
AutumnGlory Thu 01-Nov-12 20:50:11

And wehere can I buy it and not break the bank.

QuinnFabray Thu 01-Nov-12 21:21:58

Couldn't possibly remain loyal to one brand. Every brand, whether it's expensive or from Boots or Superdrug has good and bad products. Online reviews are a godsend. I have great lipsticks from Rimmel, or MUA (£1), and likewise have tried some awful stuff from Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent.

If I had to choose just one brand to remain loyal to though, I think it would be Estee Lauder, because I could do my whole face - foundation, mascara, blush, eyes and lipstick, and be pretty happy with everything. If I had to choose one less expensive High Street brand that I could do the same with, it would be Revlon.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 01-Nov-12 21:32:29

At the moment I've got Laura Geller (baked powder base, the best blusher I've ever tried)
and Mally Beaty for eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss

And a No7 eyebrow pencil because I have very sparse eyebrows and neede urgent and immediate eyebrow help grin

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Thu 01-Nov-12 21:37:04

I think you need to be a bit of a brand whore.

Buy good quality make up you 'need' and cheaper make up for what you don't 'need'

For example, I have crap eyebrows (sparse) and my face is about six different shades. So I buy benefit's foundation and brow kit. And a blusher stick (can't think what they're called) from no7. Though generally I find no7 crap.

But I buy cheaper eyeliner, liquid eyeliner, mascara and lip balms/gloss/sticks as I find them much of a muchness iyswim regardless of brand

TigerseyeMum Thu 01-Nov-12 22:12:09

I bought Laura Mercier for my wedding in June and it broke the bank but it is stunningly good make up and in the long run economical as its still going strong after daily use. I wouldn't go back to my old cheaper stuff now.

You can get it online or big department stores.

Beaverfeaver Thu 01-Nov-12 22:19:36

I have such a mix of stuff but always like mac and no7 stuff the most

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 01-Nov-12 22:22:50

Mac for the colour range - eyes, blush, lips and a bit of By Terry and Ilamasqua
YSL for base , concealer

I was a beauty junkie for years but have narrowed myself and my daft spending down to these.

Arisbottle Thu 01-Nov-12 22:23:28

I mix and match .

Foundation is Bobbi Brown or Chanel. YSL for face powder. Laura Mercier for primer and concealer. Eye make up tends to be Bobbi Brown, although I will buy what I fancy. I have benefit blusher but also a borjois blusher. Have some bare minerals and Dior lipsticks and glosses.

Tisgrand Fri 02-Nov-12 06:48:16

What Quinn said, EL great but pricey. Revlon or occasionally Max Factor always reliable. Loreal do a great range of lipstick colours, I have loads.

justbogoffnow Fri 02-Nov-12 06:57:39

Mally

ifancyashandy Fri 02-Nov-12 06:57:41

Mix and match. A fan of Laura Mercier tinted foundation and eye shadows. Blusher comes from Bobbi Brown and LM again. Adore Chanel crayon eyeliner but BB for gel. And also love Bobbi for cream eye shadows but have two other fab ones - one from Benefit and one from Rimmel. Bare Minerals for bronzer and an old Body Shop eyebrow powder set gets used most days. Lipsticks / gloss from everywhere - a Smashbox one is currently a favourite but also Clinique Chubby Sticks. However, also really like the Revlon copy of these. And their Nude Mauve lippy is a great everyday colour. Mac for intense eye colours. Benefit for cream highlighter.

I don't use mascara (extensions).

JemimaPuddle Fri 02-Nov-12 07:00:23

Definitely a mix.
I love Laura Geller for blush and powder foundation. I also use Estée Lauder, Revlon and Borjois. I also have a couple of Korean BB creams I couldn't be without.

Bonsoir Fri 02-Nov-12 07:00:24

I don't wear a lot of make-up, so my budget isn't huge. I buy the products I love - Guerlain Terracotta bronzing powder, Lancôme mascara, Bobbi Brown lipsticks and eyeshadows, Benefit eyebrow gel, Guerlain eyeliner. They all last for ages.

izzybobsmum Fri 02-Nov-12 08:24:37

I used to be a slave to Clinique, but more recently have discovered L'Oreal who do fab eyeshadows, their eye liners are ok too. I do buy quite a bit from M&S, simply because they don't test on animals...

noviceoftheday Fri 02-Nov-12 08:30:59

I have had everything MAC as I love the range but started branching out a bit so latest primer is NARS and mascara is Jemma kidd.

AutumnGlory Fri 02-Nov-12 08:41:24

Time for me to experiment than.

porridgewithalmondmilk Fri 02-Nov-12 09:17:40

I use Clinique foundation and sometimes Clarins loose face powder. Mascara is also Clinique and I have Benetint liquid blusher (Benefit) which is lovely.

I don't really wear eyeshadow or lipgloss smile

EllieorOllie Fri 02-Nov-12 09:29:33

Dr Jaart for base
Natio for good quality, often mineral, make up in subtle colours
M&S Autograph for lip products
Bit of Barbara Daly here and there if i'm desperate

If I could only use one brand for evermore it would be Natio

EllieorOllie Fri 02-Nov-12 09:31:33

Oh and Natio is available in bigger branches of Tesco. It is an Australian brand and often has high SPF. Think No 7 prices.

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Fri 02-Nov-12 09:36:32

Benefit 'that gal' primer
Benefit Confessions of a Concealaholic (sorts out blemishes, dark circles, primes eyelids etc)
No7 nude blusher
Clarins Grey eyeliner - Maybelline gel eyeliner (black)
Mascara - They're Real (benefit)
Clinique lipstick for everyday use
Dermalogica - tinted moisturiser (medium)
Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation, lasts really well.
Loose powder - think also No7

I have loads of make up but this is what I always use.

Bourjois eye shadow and blush are good and much cheaper than Chanel. I have a YSL lipstick that I hate, very drying but long lasting. Actually it would probably be quicker to say what brands I dont have. blush

kiwiscantfly Fri 02-Nov-12 09:41:22

Body Shop mineral foundation or Liz Earle tinted moisturiser, MAC bronzer, blusher, mascara, eye shadow, and lip glosses/lipstick.
Just started using the body shop stuff and I love it, good price too!

Meggles76 Fri 02-Nov-12 09:41:41

Clinique. My mother bought it for me when I was about 15 and they are still my main brand 20 years on for foundation, lip glosses, mascara and moisturiser.
I also like Bourjois - the little blush pots and the little eye shadow pots.
I have also just discovered a great pink lipstick at l'oreal

lurkingfromhome Fri 02-Nov-12 11:21:58

Estee Lauder for foundation and a combo of Bobbi Brown, Benefit, Mac, Lancome, Clinique, MUA (hate the lipstick colours but the eyeshadows are magnificent for the money) and those Sleek palettes you get in Superdrug for a fiver.

Strawhatpirate Fri 02-Nov-12 11:37:24

I LOVE soap and glory make up! Really easy to apply and really wearable colours. I also love Urban Decay but I only really buy the pallets or eye liner sets, that way you get loads of product and choice for your money. I invested in the smashbox eyeshadow pallet today grin

mummysmellsofsick Fri 02-Nov-12 11:50:46

Clinique and ysl mainly. And aveda eyeshadow. Clinique mascara was a revelation after years of using cheapo eye makeup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now