Talk

Advanced search

What bras will give me a rack like Joan from Mad Men?

(67 Posts)
Lottapianos Thu 01-Nov-12 12:39:03

I'm a 32 H so the size is not a problem but the bras I'm currently wearing still leave everything looking a bit droopy. I would like my bras to move everything a bit more front and centre so I look really well supported. I'm not looking for anything terribly sexy just well engineered I guess!

All advice welcome smile

Firsttimer7259 Thu 01-Nov-12 12:56:17

Go to a bra shop that does proper fittings and just tell them exactly that. Ideally bring along the clothes/top you want this rack to go under.
Id recommend rigby and peller or bravissimo. I think what you want is probably a balony style bra but for the big of boob. Well engineered bras cost a bit more - but well worth it.

EcoLady Thu 01-Nov-12 13:05:38

I'm 32H and swear by Panache Tango II plunge front style. But it works only if they really fit properly.

Bravissimo are superb for fitting and their advice on the phone is great - you tell them what fits you now and they will offer suggestions of other styles to try.

Lottapianos Thu 01-Nov-12 13:28:41

EcoLady, I have tried the non-plunge style of that bra and it was ok, but I found it lost its support after a few washes. I have been fitted at Bravissimo and they were fantastic, I just find that the bras look fab for the first few washes and after that everything sags a bit. Maybe its just part of being a massive size, or maybe I need to spent a lot more and go to Rigby and Peller? Or maybe just back to Bravissimo to get re-measured and get them to fit some new bras for me. Thanks both smile

Lavenderhoney Thu 01-Nov-12 13:29:17

I go to debenhams or to splash out Rigby and peller. I am a 32 Ff. at least they have colours , not beige or beige, and nice pants!

FromEsme Thu 01-Nov-12 13:31:37

Do you put them in the wash? Try washing them by hand if you don't already.

Lottapianos Thu 01-Nov-12 13:36:59

I do put them in the machineblush I'm a lazy mare. I guess I should see them as an investment and look after them properly.

Roughly how much £££ am I looking at for an everyday R&P bra? Too scared to look on website just yet smile

fromparistoberlin Thu 01-Nov-12 13:45:11

about £70? I think I need one

have same request, and same issue with machine washed bravissimo!!!

TapselteerieO Thu 01-Nov-12 13:58:38

Freya bras are good, imho, not sure what they will have in your size - I am 30G in Freya but have to try a lot of bras before I get a good fit. Their plunge bras would be my going out bra (not great support for everyday wear).

SorrelForbes Thu 01-Nov-12 14:07:31

I think you need Ewa Michalak. I have the Karmelki and the Biszkopty (I'm a 30G) and they are the most uplifting bras I have ever worn. Amazing.

MerylStrop Thu 01-Nov-12 14:51:38

Freya Balconette every time

PotPourri Thu 01-Nov-12 14:51:43

DO NOT get measured at M&S. They do it wrong.

Balcony or M&S push up (but correct size - not measured by them)

Firsttimer7259 Thu 01-Nov-12 14:53:10

Handwash or use your handwash delicates cycle on machine, in mesh bag with a delicates detergent. I ahve bras well over 2 years old, machine washed as above and all fine.

Firsttimer7259 Thu 01-Nov-12 14:54:58

Not everything at R&P is that expensive. Their measuring service is the best tho. Altho bravissimo also not bad. I never get measured anywhere else, JL and M and S both not good enough for my girls

fridgepants Thu 01-Nov-12 15:10:30

I believe Christina Hendricks sometimes wears bras that are a little too small so that her breasts are pushed closer together. Wouldn't recommend it, though.

Balconettes are perfect - brastop.com would be great for you as you have a small backsize/larger cupsize, so there should be more bargainous choice.

gourd Thu 01-Nov-12 15:20:35

Balconette over any other type, every time. The only one that works for me. I'm a lot smaller cup size than OP but find plunge/push up bras dont fit my shape at all - I fall out over the top when i bend down and when upright there's nothing at the top so bra is loose there (it seems my boobs are bottom heavy!). I dont feel secure and uplifted in ordinary full cups though, plus they seem to push my boobs into my arm pits which is not very comfortable - there's always too much space between the cups. Balconettes are definitely the way to go!

snuffaluffagus Thu 01-Nov-12 15:27:38

I've yet to find any really good balcony bras for larger cups (I'm a g cup) - you know, ones that actually uplift for that "boob under the chin" look.. any recommedations?

UltraBOF Thu 01-Nov-12 15:34:05

That Ewa Michalak site looks great. I love how you can see how the bras actually look on bigger-boobed women.

SorrelForbes Thu 01-Nov-12 15:40:42

snuffaluffagus Yes, the EW CH styles are fantastic for uplift. The Karmelki in particular. I wear a 30G but had to size up to a 32G.

I'm very impressed with my EW bras. The uplift is quite extraodinary. TBH if you don't like your boobs 'up and out' then the CH style probably isn't for you, but I really love the shape. I haven't tried the PL or CHP shapes though.

SorrelForbes Thu 01-Nov-12 15:41:54

fridgepants
Have you read this?

LouP19 Thu 01-Nov-12 15:45:07

I'm a 32FF to a 32G normally. My boobs are also quite low so I find most balcony bras uncomfortable as they push them up too much. They look a bit funny and I feel 'wobbly' over the top even when the fit is correct. But may be it's just my boobs! I wear them for special occasions, but tend to stick to seamfree full cups for day to day wear. I get most of my bras from Figleaves, haven't bought anything from M&S for 10 years. They're not good enough.

I looked at the Ewa Michalak site and the bigger boobed woman looks amazing. Even I wanted to have a feel! wink

SorrelForbes Thu 01-Nov-12 15:48:00

The EW bras are so reasonable too. The Karmelki is 119ZL which is £23!

auldspinster Thu 01-Nov-12 15:49:55

Triumph Doreen is your friend, moulds the norks into a pointy 60s rack.

SorrelForbes Thu 01-Nov-12 15:52:32

Unfortuantely, the TD doesn't come in a 32H. I'm quite surprised to see how small their size range is. It only goes to a G. I tried one years ago and just couldn't bear the fact that it was non-wired.

snuffaluffagus Thu 01-Nov-12 16:00:04

Thanks Sorrel, I'll give them a whirl and report back! I tend to like the "up and out" look, ehem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now