Talk

Advanced search

Leggings/ Jeggings- should I wear them?

(17 Posts)
GrandmaW Wed 31-Oct-12 19:03:01

I've just bought a pair of ankle boots and am looking for some leggings/jeggings to wear with them. There are so many different styles of both in M and S it's difficult to know what to choose. To be honest I can't see much difference between them.
This will be a big change for me as I usually wear bootcut jeans. I'm 65 and size 10 and am worried that I may look like 'mutton dressed up as lamb' - please reassure me that I will look ok.

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Wed 31-Oct-12 19:44:17

My mother is around your age and she looks wonderful in them. Just make sure you wear a lovely longer top/jumper/coat that covers the bottom. It will look great if you have good legs.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 19:45:21

As long as your top is long you'll be fine.

dexter73 Wed 31-Oct-12 19:47:25

You will look great smile

NotMostPeople Wed 31-Oct-12 19:48:34

What the others said. Also check your reflection from behind in the mirror. I tried the M&S ones on they looked fine at the front but from behind it looked like I had terrible cellulite. Not sure how because cellulite is about the only affliction I don't suffer from.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 19:49:13

I've just rediscovered leggings, I used to live in them, first time round. I'd forgotten how comfortable they are, I love a stretchy waistband grin

Zwitterion Wed 31-Oct-12 20:21:11

Yes, wear them!

Marks do the five pocket jeggings which are just skinny jeans, and also a cord version. Some of the cord colours are interesting, but they come in black, navy and plum too which are lovely.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 20:24:06

Sainsburys have cord lehgings but I'm not sure what they look like on, lots of colours. I have the dreaded jeggings, they are actually denim rather than material made to look like it . I like them because it gives a neater line under my jumpers.

Saphiesgirl Wed 31-Oct-12 20:27:01

Can I slightly hijack some advice please? Love leggings but can't get any good fit?! Am an apple shape with slim legs, 5'8" and all leggings I've tried are too short and baggy round ankles?!

Please help!

ooer Wed 31-Oct-12 20:28:54

OP you will look great. Long top and watch out for "elephant bum"! grin

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 20:31:03

Sainsburys leggings are good quality but I don't know about the length if you have long legs envy

Saphiesgirl Wed 31-Oct-12 21:00:50

Thanks, legs only slim bit I have!! Particularly at moment- 32weeks pg!

GrandmaW Sun 04-Nov-12 21:18:17

Well, I've done it! Bought some leggings (£7.50 ones from M & S) and a tunic also from M & S.
Don't know how to link, but for those of you who want to know what it looks like, it is the 'Bold stripe brushed jersey tunic'. code no. T412795A.
I love the tunic , but not so sure about the leggings - a big change from always wearing boot cut trousers! I'll just have to take the plunge and wear them out somewhere.

WildThongyoumakemyringsting Sun 04-Nov-12 23:32:45

Also, can I chip in that m&s treggings are really nice on. Quite soft but thick jersey type of material.

trumpton Mon 05-Nov-12 08:17:06

Yes I feel better , more dressed , in treggings rather than leggings that I tend to save for evenings out.
DP do super soft treggings . I am 60 and wear mine with tunics or wooly dresses and ballet flats or ankle boots .

GrandmaW Mon 05-Nov-12 09:18:49

thanks for telling me about treggings. I'm really confused about leggings/jeggings/treggings. Anyone explain the difference to me? As I said earlier they all look very much the same to me. There are thicker leggings which look like some of the jeggings I have seen so it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

polyhymnia Mon 05-Nov-12 10:33:56

Leggings are the thinnest - personally I'm only happy wearing those with tunics/long tops in summer, except maybe round the house. For now, they're too cold and lightweight looking.

But there are some thicker leggings-type 'bottoms'. My personal favourite, if i want something that's thicker and more trouser-like than leggings, but not jeans-like, are these - thick Ponte jersey which are quite warm, and can be worn with winter tunics when thin leggings would look silly:

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Trousers-Jeans/WT045/Womens-Roma-Trouser.html

Treggings can be all sorts of things - it is confusing, I agree. Different retailers use it different ways. I think the ones in M and S on the whole look like thinner, less good quality, jeggings (see below).

Jeggings look like close-fitting skinny jeans but in a thinner material (usually - as someone has said, there are cord ones in M and S but these are pretty thin) and, again usually, are cheaper than jeans.

M and S jeggings have loads of fans on here - there's a long recent thread. I don't like them personally, because i have a large body and long slim legs and anything that fits me round the hips looks unflatteringly baggy on the legs. Also, at my age and size, I prefer to spend the money on one pair of good quality skinny jeans than several pairs of M and S jeggings.

But that's just me. I'm sure lots of people look great in them and they'd be worth you at least trying next to see if you like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now