Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bit controversial this .....real fur

(62 Posts)
Eliza22 Wed 31-Oct-12 18:24:47

Just asking as a general question.

My elderly mum has a fur coat. It was massively expensive, back in the day and is still pristine. I remember if used to go into cold storage for the summer! I also remember, as a child, snuggling into it and it and it smelt of her perfume. She still wears it.

She talks about leaving stuff " to me" (she's at that age, a little preoccupied with her not being here much longer) and I know she has the coat in mind.... It's become an heirloom.

What would you do? I personally have never owned anything sporting animal fur. I've told her I'd probably get a load of abuse, if I tried to walk about in it. But then I thought..... It's vintage, it's dead already, I cannot bring it back so, should it be binned?

Would you wear it? My mum, having been asked about it always says " yes it's genuine but it was bought for me in a decade when people did wear fur and gave it little thought". I'd be inclined to say "no, it's fake. A very good fake".

God forbid the demise of my mum should be anytime soon but, what would YOU do?

CalamityKate Wed 31-Oct-12 18:27:05

I'd probably wear it but tell people it was fake (other than close friends).

Although I've never seen a fur coat look good anyway; they all tend to make the wearer look like an old lady. Maybe I've just seen awful fur coats!

AmberLeaf Wed 31-Oct-12 18:27:50

I would wear it.

It would be a waste to get rid of it.

scarevola Wed 31-Oct-12 18:27:58

I'd sell it.

I wouldn't wear anything I wouldn't eat nor would I want to fake that.

winnybella Wed 31-Oct-12 18:31:11

I can't be bothered with all the meat-eating people getting all uptight about furs, tbh. Meat isn't necessary to your survival, either.

I get the point about less than perfect conditions on fur farms, but then a closer look at farming/dairy industry wouldn't show a nice picture either...

So, yes, if I liked it, I would wear it.

MrsWolowitz Wed 31-Oct-12 18:31:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mominatrix Wed 31-Oct-12 18:32:29

I'd wear it. I have a beautiful mink which was given to me by my mum. I have really fond memories of it as it was her "daily" coat when I was young, and I remember her wearing it. I have received many compliments on it, and never had a negative remark. Actually, I have never been made to feel uncomfortable - probably as there are a mix of real and very good fakes about, and most people can't tell the difference.

MrsLHofstadter Wed 31-Oct-12 18:32:33

My mum has one she hasn't worn in about 30 years, just sat at my GP's unloved. I'd wear it now if it fitted me.

bulletwithspookybatwings Wed 31-Oct-12 18:32:58

I'd wear it. I wouldn't buy fur, but I'd be very pleased to inherit it. blush

MrsWolowitz Wed 31-Oct-12 18:33:35

Figgygal Wed 31-Oct-12 18:33:58

Sell it to avoid someone who wants a real fur from buying a new one......I think there's a roaring trade in vintage fur coats

TinyDancingHoofer Wed 31-Oct-12 18:34:03

I'd wear it. Quite happily.

TinyDancingHoofer Wed 31-Oct-12 18:34:37

I have the mink stole my late grandmother got married in, tis lovely.

Annunziata Wed 31-Oct-12 18:36:21

I'd love a fur coat.

winnybella Wed 31-Oct-12 18:37:38

MrsWolowitz- yes, well, that is terrible, but so are the living conditions of chickens, with urine burns/no space to turn around/being pecked to death etc etc. It's just slower.

And I imagine there must be some more ethically run fur farms? No one says you have to buy fur produced in China.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 31-Oct-12 18:38:34

I just couldn't wear it but then I'm a lentil weaving vegan. If you're not a veggie can't see why you shouldn't wear it.

winnybella Wed 31-Oct-12 18:40:05

Point being that lots of people who don't buy free range eggs (which still isn't as rosy for the chickens as people imagine) still get all upset about furs.

MrsWolowitz Wed 31-Oct-12 18:41:50

Eliza22 Wed 31-Oct-12 18:43:44

Some food for thought there.... And not the absolute "burn it!" I expected.

Not sure what I'll do, when that time comes. It was bought in the 50's, a bit Joan Crawford in the film "Mildred Pierce". God knows what the thing cost. I certainly wouldn't give it to charity or sell it to prevent someone else buying a real fur. That doesn't make sense, that comment.

Mominatrix Wed 31-Oct-12 18:46:04

Eliza, you can have the coat retailored to change the style. I was given another fur which I am considering getting retailored as it isn't worn (it is a floor length fur, and quite OTT for my lifestyle).

winnybella Wed 31-Oct-12 18:47:22

MrsWolfovitz- yes, that's why I corrected myself in the next post, saying that often people are inconsistent. But I think if you eat ethically farmed meat then I don't understand why would you mind wearing ethically farmed fur, unless, as you say, such a thing dosn't exist.

I'll look at your link in a sec.

runningforthebusinheels Wed 31-Oct-12 18:50:26

Nope, could never wear fur, no matter how vintage. I couldn't even be vaguely endorsing of something so cruel as the fur trade.

Can't be asked to link - but there's a very good campaign 'here's the rest of your fur coat' which about sums it up for me.

LST Wed 31-Oct-12 18:51:24

Same position. I wore my mink to work today. It's about 55 years old. I'd never buy into it but it was my nans and it's lovely and the warmest coat I own. Know body expects it to be real. Just really really expensive.

Eliza22 Wed 31-Oct-12 18:52:30

Couldn't open the link.

Actually, though its a good idea, I'd not change the coat. It's as I say, beautifully styled and I used to love the silky lining and ties on it. It really is classic.

I'm talking myself into the thing, here!

LST Wed 31-Oct-12 18:52:47

*nobody

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now