Talk

Advanced search

Trendy sweatshirts for 13yo DS?

(23 Posts)
LynetteScavo Wed 31-Oct-12 10:30:21

DS needs new sweatshirts, but tells me he doesn't care what kind, as long as they don't have GAP on the front.

He's quite geeky, so I'd rather they were trendy, as in acceptable with his Y9 peers.

Last year it was all Superdry, but I don't want to spend £50 on a sweatshirt that is "so yesterday".

JuliaFlyte Wed 31-Oct-12 10:43:48

Topman do XXS and XS. My 14 year old wears XS. The have great zip up hoodies in good colours and long sleeve Ts and sweatshirts. Some slogans are not suitable for that age group, but lots are!

homebythesea Wed 31-Oct-12 10:49:15

Hollister is the in brand I think. However my D'S also likes River Island stuff and they do XXS and XS sizes

TantrumsIsTheREALPumpkinKiller Wed 31-Oct-12 10:52:28

Hollister. But order online, the shop is a nightmare

germyrabbit Wed 31-Oct-12 10:53:57

for a 13 year old i'd just get to hennes or topshop and get some plain ones in nice colurs

takeonboard Wed 31-Oct-12 10:58:07

My DS likes Jack Wills and Superdry.

daisydoodoo Wed 31-Oct-12 10:59:54

republic- they sell hundreds of different sweatshirts ranging from £10-15 up to £100. The popular ones amongst teens here eem to be plain zip up hoodies www.republic.co.uk/brands/mens/fabric/fabric-basic-hoody-53335/

or ones with photographic prints on www.republic.co.uk/brands/mens/crafted/hoodies-sweats/crafted-queen-country-sweater-53622/

either that or ones wiht hollister or abercrombie on, obviously from hollister or abercrombie, otherwise the superdry ones but the more discreet with just the embroidered logo. www.superdry.com/mens/hoods/details/37041/pop-colour-hood

according o ds1 (15) primark is ok for kids i.e 13 yr olds (they sell the plain zip hoodies like the first link and the photographic print sweathsirts) but not for teens his age and older!

all of them do small sizes, and hollister/superdry/abercrombi are notorious for thier small fit)

JuliaFlyte Wed 31-Oct-12 11:12:06

Hollister and A&F are 'so over' according to my ds. I think it depends where you live. Superdry more popular with girls around here.

germyrabbit Wed 31-Oct-12 11:17:12

are year 9 boys really that worried about their outfits? remember my ds(19) not being arsed at all what he wore at that age, even now he isn't

LynetteScavo Wed 31-Oct-12 17:07:31

DS isn't that bothered - but some boys and it seems all the girls are bothered, and he does have quite a lot of non uniform days at school. (The school used to be non uniform)

He's at enough risk of being a social outcast (not that he'd care) without me sending him to school on a non uniform day dressed in Mini Boden. (Yes the other kids would know, it's that type of school).

kaumana Wed 31-Oct-12 17:19:00

Hollister, Abercrombie, Jack Wills.. though as mentioned above what's "in" can vary region to region. Hollister is "in" around here at the mo. Superdry is so last year. confused

kaumana Wed 31-Oct-12 17:23:36

Fun/ clever t shirts from sites like more T vicar are a good bet too.

snozzlemaid Wed 31-Oct-12 17:37:44

My ds and friends are wearing the sweatshirts from Burton.

BellaVita Wed 31-Oct-12 17:55:26

Top Man - around £25.

DS1 (15) has a couple of them.

DS2 (13 this month) is teeny tiny and is just about big enough for XXS sizing - got a fab polo shirt from Top Man today. He is also into Fred Perry at the moment.

Hullygully Wed 31-Oct-12 18:12:32

Hollister, A&F, J Wiils and Superdry are all over.

Topman/Burtons/River Island all aceptable - and much cheaper.

LynetteScavo Wed 31-Oct-12 19:06:47

People still wear things from Burtons?

I am so out of it, I would have thought it was too frumpy for DH....but maybe things have come full circle. confused

If I buy him A&F, does it mean I can't wear it? Is it sad to be in the same brand as your mother? (Not that I own any, but I quite fancy some...tell me if I'm too old!)

I've checked out Animal, and they seem to be reasonably priced, and I've like the quality in the past. What do you think?

smugmumofboys Wed 31-Oct-12 19:09:34

Can I be cheeky and ask where you can get Hollister children's stuff? My students tell me you can buy on the website but I can't find it. Thanks.

Toughasoldboots Wed 31-Oct-12 19:11:00

I like the basic republic hoodie . My ds is same age, I still get away with animal, quicksilver and plain gap without anything on it.
I thought Burtons was out too, maybe it's been turned around?

mysteryfairy Wed 31-Oct-12 19:46:36

I don't think there is such a thing as children's hollister but the actual xs is quite small - ladies xs is not too bad a fit on my ten year old DD who is slender and just short of five feet tall. When this was too big she had children's A and F which can be found online. I think the men's sizing starts from small which is what fifteen year old DS (about 5 foot 8 and very thin) wears.

If superdry is in the running I find the official outlet on ebay is good - have bought hoodies for £25 and t shirts for £10. They all look the same to me and DS has never complained that he is in last's year's stock.

I think top man is totally acceptable to almost all boys of this age and not obviously branded so less likely to date. I'm not sure it is significantly cheaper though.

daisydoodoo Wed 31-Oct-12 20:45:07

Yes as pp said Hollister don't do children's wear but Abercrombie do, although you have to ship from the USA and it's a lot more expensive.

smugmumofboys Wed 31-Oct-12 22:13:03

Thanks for that info.

Beaverfeaver Wed 31-Oct-12 23:21:52

Fat face?

BellaVita Thu 01-Nov-12 13:01:09

We have just been stung for having something shipped from the US. DS1 wanted a Blink 182 (rock band) hoodie. When it arrived I had to go to the post office and pay duty on it - £14, so $45 for the hoodie $20 for shipping and then and extra 14 quid on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now