Talk

Advanced search

small tear in the leather skirt - can I repair it at home?

(8 Posts)
nightcat Tue 30-Oct-12 22:09:47

I caught my skirt on the metal door edge and I have a C-shaped tear on the outside upper left bum cheek! As an emergency, I put some wide sticky tape underneath and still can wear it as long as with a jacket, but not without sad

Would be grateful to hear of any sensible ideas to repair it, I had a brain wave, maybe I can add some kind of snazzy/suble applique?
Or would that look seriously naff?

nightcat Tue 30-Oct-12 22:12:11

meant subtle

Pancakeflipper Tue 30-Oct-12 22:13:58

I would take it to a shoe repair shop. Ours knows a man who is great with leather and does amazing repairs to leather boots, bags etc...

dexter73 Tue 30-Oct-12 22:18:30

Do not under any circumstances add snazzy applique!! Take it to a person who knows what they are doing!

bishboschone Tue 30-Oct-12 22:18:43

A dry cleaner can send it off for you . It is usually stuck though from underneath so maybe you could do it yourself ?

ClaudiaCardinale Tue 30-Oct-12 22:28:16

Indeed, stuck from underneath; but if it's taut, as it probably is on the bum cheek, it's going to be forced apart when you wear it and there'll be a V-shaped divide.

ve5wil Tue 30-Oct-12 23:26:52

hi, sorry to hear about your skirt. My girl friend had a similar experience. had a 2 inch tear in her leather skirt. We took it to a Danier Leather Store, and all they used to fix it was a scrap piece of leather as a patch on the inside and contact cement to mend it. hope this helps

nightcat Wed 31-Oct-12 20:36:06

ok, thank you all
I will try asking at the shoe repairs & drycleaners if they can improve on my repair. It's actually not that taut and the tape is holding well, but the mark does show on the outside sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now