Talk

Advanced search

Argh, work stress is making me look ugly and old and I comfort eating

(46 Posts)
FunBagFreddie Tue 30-Oct-12 20:47:05

Can work damage your good looks and youthful looks - at least what's left of mine? I think so and I want to know if it's just me.

Argh, I'm really busy with work these days, which is good, because I'm self employed and earn more money. On the bad side I'm working up to 14 hour days some days, never have time to do much, and if I'm lucky I'll do a workout DVD 5 times a week and fit in 3-4 40 min walks.

I am very stressed, just started smoking again. Don't eat properly for a few days because I'm so stressed and feel too busy to eat - today I've had 2 boiled eggs, some sprouted hippy beans shit and four quorn burgers, is that good enough? Is that normal? I just don't know anymore. Then I'll binge like a demented woman. I've put on 4 pounds in the last 2 months. sad

My skin looks shit and I'm not having much time to devote to beautification, grooming and pampering. I look really old and ugly and I'm considering a salycilic peel - or whatever. All of my nice sexy (but in a respectable mid 30's way) clothes just don't look as good with the extra few pounds. Bugger angry

If I stop the evil weed again it will be size 14 - 16 again and two years of slimming dowb.

Is it possible for work to turn you into a haggard old whitch? How do you work like a workaholic for periods and manage to look vair Naice? Any advice please and sorry for the rant.

blueshoes Tue 30-Oct-12 20:57:16

Yes, it happens to some people. I noticed it in some of the men in my office who had to work extra hard. They put on lots of weight. Late 30s.

I put on weight when I went back to work after maternity leave. I was not even stressed. Just all that sitting around in front of a computer screen and snacking.

cedge Tue 30-Oct-12 20:59:51

Stress releases the hormone cortisol,which has been shown to reduce collagen in the skin... meaning saggier skin. So in a way its true that people can age a lot over a few months if they are under a lot of stress.

cedge Tue 30-Oct-12 21:00:26

Good thing is you can do something about it : )

FunBagFreddie Tue 30-Oct-12 21:01:34

I knew it blueshoes I must come up with a plan, before I'm a wirey haird, blotch face, wrinkly saggy old woman who lives in ill fitting jeans and an over sized man's fleece. I could really do with losing those 4 pounds too.

whatagreatname Tue 30-Oct-12 21:01:43

Yes, I think this can happen, I was thinking the same about myself. I just don't have much time to do any beauty 'extras' at the moment ans by that I mean anything other than bath/shower, a bit of make up and the occasional slather of body lotion. I too am looking old and have put on weight. Would be interested to hear any tips to look a bit less haggard.

FunBagFreddie Tue 30-Oct-12 21:04:06

cedge please impart your wisdom to me! wine

I will have to adjourn very soon as I really,^ really^ need my beauty sleep!

I shall be back though.

FunBagFreddie Tue 30-Oct-12 21:07:05

whatagreatname, So annoying, since up towards late September I was looking pretty fine, if I may say so without blowing my own trumpet. Mortified at how quickly things can do downhill. angry

cedge Tue 30-Oct-12 21:07:20

Lol, i will try.
Firstly, stop the stress - any anti aging regime will have much better results if you are not getting stressed. Ever noticed how happy, care free people seem to age better?
There are a lot of things that can help, but some are more effective when you are younger. Do you mind me asking your age (roughly!)?

FunBagFreddie Tue 30-Oct-12 21:12:46

Thanks cedge - OK, stop the stress, that will be a tough one to crack grin

I'm 35, and not ready to be frumpy and mumsy and give up on myself just yet. I thought I could have another 10, maybe even 12 years of looking passable, obviously stunning would be good, but we have to be realistic.

whatagreatname Tue 30-Oct-12 21:13:32

I know, mine has been over the last year and this is also because I have been taking on freelance work as well as other work. I think I just need to take a step back and incorporate some small changes that might make a difference to how I look.

cedge Tue 30-Oct-12 21:20:45

35 is a good age to start seriously looking after your skin.
The BEST thing you can use product wise is Retin A. You can get this on prescription from your doctor. Other great things to use are a homemade vitamin c serum or a glycolic product.
I am 34 and i used retin a 2 or 3 times a week and vitamin c or glycolic 2 times a week. In six months my lines had faded and my skin was looking bright.
An example of a basic vitamin c recipe is here :

beautysnug.com/index.php?board=13.0

A good glycolic product is here :

www.amazon.com/Alpha-Hydrox-12-Glycolic-Souffle-1-6/dp/B000G8LWZI

You can normally buy it in the UK on ebay.

Mosman Tue 30-Oct-12 22:32:08

Your doctor is not just going to hand out a prescription for return A to sort your wrinkles, that's for acne and other medical conditions

FunBagFreddie Wed 31-Oct-12 06:53:51

whatagreatname Yes, that old freelancing thing. It's good when you aren't stuck on a fixed income, but more money means doing more work, which means more stress and probably less sleep. I rarely even take time off these days and I work stupidly long hours, because I'm always terrified that I might have no work next month - plus the economy is shite.

cedge I don't think my doctor would write out a give me something for wrinkles, he'd probably tell me off for wasting his time! How did you get Retin A? Did you have to go private? Thanks for the links. smile

DonaAna Wed 31-Oct-12 07:49:16

Smoking and eating poorly will age you prematurely and make you look lumpy and haggard and wrinkled.

I have that kind of job too. Time management (Mytomatoes and The Now Habit) really help. I schedule free time and make extra efforts to eat fruit&veg. Mindfulness exercises help to de-stress. I also sometimes turn down jobs. I've learned by working too much in the past that if I do not take care of myself and overwork, my body burns out and I get ill from sheer exhaustion. Burnout is a real risk - protect yourself!

FunBagFreddie Wed 31-Oct-12 08:26:24

You are so right about that Dona and I was really poorly quite recently for about 3 weeks. It was because I was working too much, not eating much, not sleeping enough and not exercising. In fact I was just working, I lost loads of weight - but have put it back on now!

Thank you for reminding me to be sensible. I have a couple of big projects alongside ongoing work for regular clients. When the big jobs have finished I'll treat myself to an easy fortnight. It's so easy to fall into that trap, I am the main earner, and always feel under pressure, because it's down to me.

Just Googled Mytomatoes, pomdoro tracker?! grin The Now Habit looks good, have just ordered it. Let's hope I don't put of reading it!

Salad for lunch today and a nice walk after I think. Stopping smoking - why did I start again? sad

Thanks Dona thanks

fromparistoberlin Wed 31-Oct-12 08:31:27

its sounds like you are exercsing quite alot to be honest, so not sure if thats the issue

i get what you mean, working after DS2 my work has massiverly ramped up pressure wise, as a result I have AGED, sweet jesus

my saving grace is as I meet w clients I have to look nice, so do my hair and make up etc

sounds to me like you have got into some bad habits, and you need to get yourself out of them vis a vis

exercise
diet
relaxations

am going to look up those creams cedge advises!

i also smoke and inhale coffee...its not good!

fromparistoberlin Wed 31-Oct-12 08:36:53

wirey hair

this is fixable! get good shampoo and cond, and make the time to blow dry/straighten hair
if you dont have time, try lookfantastic for products, THEY DELIVER SUPER FAST

blotch face

make up, make up and make up
then follow advise on here re stress and skin!!!!

wrinkly saggy old woman
diet,exercise, but if you focus on the above areas you will feel better too

alot of sympathy!!! I just bought that cream cedge recommended, IT BETTER BE GOOD !!!!!

FunBagFreddie Wed 31-Oct-12 08:40:18

Lol @ inhaling coffee fromparistoberlin! grin

I'm a coffee snob and will only drink filtered real coffee. I have two in the morning and then drink red bush tea with vanilla the rest of the day. It hits the spot when you fancy a hot drink, it's caffeine free and very refreshing.

I rarely meet with clients, but try to wear something nice every day and do my makeup.

FunBagFreddie Wed 31-Oct-12 08:42:05

fromparistoberlin

My hair isn't wirey at the moment, but it's a deep fear of mine.

I've just ordered that cream too. We'll have to review it on MN Health and Beauty!

FunBagFreddie Wed 31-Oct-12 08:42:32

Whoops, style and beauty even

fromparistoberlin Wed 31-Oct-12 08:50:36

did you get off amazon? £17.99??

fingers crossed!!!!

FunBagFreddie Wed 31-Oct-12 09:16:38

Yep! grin

BegoniaBigtoes Wed 31-Oct-12 11:18:59

Wow you're fitting in loads of exercise! If I were you I'd ditch some of that and use the time for relaxing. IME what is best for my skin and weight is getting enough sleep, having a chance to de-stress (eg by having a long bath and reading a magazine, or watching a film at home with DP) and trying to have healthy snacks instead of chocolate and shite (easier said than done I know). Prepare chopped fruit and veg that you like and stick a bowl of it in the fridge so when you're looking for a snack you'll find it. Try to devote one night a week to a proper early night with a bath, nice face treatment and no alcohol or choc etc (I find this works as if I stay up I will always have a glass of wine and nibbles, but if I've gone to bed I can't!)

Product-wise I've started using this (I use the lotus one) and I think it's made my face less lined and fresher-looking - it also smells lovely and makes you feel all spa-ed up at bedtime smile

BegoniaBigtoes Wed 31-Oct-12 11:21:21

Oh yes and the smoking - there's no need for that! Don't have a fag, have 5 minutes breathing as if you are inhaling on a fag, but instead breathe in fresh clean air and think about what is doing for your skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now