Talk

Advanced search

Terrified about black tie event!

(20 Posts)
MackerelOfFact Tue 30-Oct-12 16:36:07

So I have a black tie event in a couple of days' time. It's for work, and I will need to get ready in the office as we leave for the venue before the end of the working day.

I am terrified of getting it wrong to the point I actually feel a little sick. I never wear dresses/skirts to work and generally stick to black trousers with pretty tops. A couple of people have told me that they expect me to wear a dress and I sort of feel like I'm already being judged before I'm there. Additionally, I am short and curvy and don't suit full-length dresses at all. And I'm on a budget.

Anyway. This is what I have purchased:

- Dress - longer on me than on the model, comes mid-calf.
- Shoes
- Bag (The purple/blue/silver one - I chose this thinking I would accessorize with royal blue jewellery but can I find any? Can I hell!)
- Necklace - I wanted something short because the neckline of the dress is high and didn't want to be fishing pendants out of my cleavage all evening.

I want a big chunky spangly bangle too but will have to wait until payday (tomorrow).

Am I way off? Please talk me through whether I need to change/do anything? I only have tomorrow to make adjustments so having a last-minute wobble, as you do.

KristinaM Tue 30-Oct-12 16:48:14

I think the dress is lovely, a good length for soemone petite and it will be very flattering on your curves. Also it doesn't show too much flesh, which is perfect for a work event :-)

Spuddybean Tue 30-Oct-12 16:56:13

i think it's all lovely and not too racy/audacious for work. Perfect for curves too.

Personally I wouldn't wear royal blue (or any blue) with black tho. But i rarely wear black anyway.

Have lots of fun.

MackerelOfFact Tue 30-Oct-12 17:06:19

Thank you both for the reassurance. It's the dress I'm most worried about really, there are women in my office who wear fancier things than that on a daily basis.

WipsGlitter Tue 30-Oct-12 17:10:36

What sort of event is it? Dinner or cocktails?

MackerelOfFact Tue 30-Oct-12 17:14:09

It's dinner.

MarshaBrady Tue 30-Oct-12 17:15:27

It's all lovely and goes together very well. I really like it.

MackerelOfFact Tue 30-Oct-12 17:15:47

Not that I'll be turning down any cocktails.

legalalien Tue 30-Oct-12 17:15:49

Sounds perfect. IMHO less is always more; people who turn up in bright shiny satin numbers tend to risk looking like escapees from a school prom. Personally I'd give the necklace a miss in favour of a bracelet (or a nice watch if you have one). Hope you have fun!

WillSingForCake Tue 30-Oct-12 18:07:29

I love that dress! Perfect for the occasion.

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Tue 30-Oct-12 18:13:49

love that dress. I hope you have a fabulous time. After a couple of drinks you will be fine.

Might have to get that dress for me. grin

pippop1 Tue 30-Oct-12 18:20:10

Nice earrings would work well and do you have something to go over the dress, a wrap or short sparkly cardi would look good. They don't have to be black. Something that tones with your bag might be lovely.

Lovely dress. Be proud!

pippop1 Tue 30-Oct-12 18:21:32

Could you have your hair or nails done in the lunch hour on the day? Might be relaxing and make you look extra special.

KristinaM Tue 30-Oct-12 18:25:10

Remember to do your nails or even have them done. And could you pop out for a quick blow dry during your lunch break? Good hair, nails and make up will boost your confidence.

And remember, no drinks on an empty tummy! When you're nervous it's too easy to gulp down your drinks and nt realise how many you've had

KristinaM Tue 30-Oct-12 18:26:03

Oops x posted. Must refresh thread more often blush

polyhymnia Tue 30-Oct-12 18:47:09

Hair and nails done definitely - it will really help the confidence.

MackerelOfFact Tue 30-Oct-12 20:15:43

Thanks everyone for your tips! I have some metallic midnight blue nail polish so I'll make sure my toes and nails are done nicely. Good call on the shoulder covering thing, I'll see if I can find something tomorrow.

I'll be fine with a glass of wine inside me!

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Wed 31-Oct-12 18:57:21

kristina you made me laugh, nodrinksonanemptytummy sounds like the voice of bitter experience... or maybe that's just me. blush

KristinaM Thu 01-Nov-12 16:26:49

Jax -you might think that but I couldn't possibly comment wink

KristinaM Thu 01-Nov-12 16:29:49

I did watch a bride getting very drunk at her aftrenoon wedding. She was too nervous to eat lunch and the photographer took hours over the photos in teh aftrenoon. By the time the meal was served she was ...ahem....tired and emotional . Not a good look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now