Talk

Advanced search

Clubbing ------- Help

(6 Posts)
willstanton Tue 30-Oct-12 15:09:35

My husband and I have been invited clubbing at the weekend. We have just worked out that it has been 15 years since we were in a club. I am by no means ancient but I am not young either (35). I don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb. I am 5ft 2, weigh just over 8 stone and have a reasonable figure - a slight baby belly from the kids and a little extra weight on the thighs but nothing too bad.

What do I wear - a cocktail dress? Jeans - I have no idea what is appropriate. Most of the people there will be beautiful, slim and young so I need to fit in without looking like a joke. I can go into town before the weekend and get something if necessary - we have a small Debenhams, Mango, Zara, Next, Gap, Monsoon. I don't want to spend the earth but don't mind spending a little.

I also have my own wardrobe - mostly day dresses or jeans and tops. I do have some evening gowns but this is firmly not a black tie club.

Holymoly321 Tue 30-Oct-12 16:22:36

Depends if you're a girly girl or more rock chick. My BF is def girly girl and when we last went out clubbing (we're 40 and it was in a posh type club in Palma last month, and she goes to Pasha at least twice a year), she wore a fab little black cocktail type dress with heels. I'm more rock chick and I wore skinny black trousers with heeled ankle boots and a strapless black top with a chunky necklace. We both didnt look out of place compared to the other fems in the club. HTH and have FUN!

freerangeeggs Tue 30-Oct-12 19:06:33

Depends on the club really. Lots of the cubs in London, for example, are dead casual. Whenever I go to a new club I have a look on the website first - they usually have photos and you can get a feel for what people tend to wear.

Having said that, you can't go far wrong with a little dress and some heels.

willstanton Wed 31-Oct-12 07:32:13

Thank you both. This is a brand new club and I have no idea what the 'vibe' is, will have to speak to someone else going to try to get an idea. Most of my dresses are day dresses or very formal cocktail/evening so I may need to have a look but I have no idea what would be the right sort of thing.

RockySpeed Wed 31-Oct-12 07:46:57

Is say clubbing is way more casual than drinking in bars, jeans and trendy trainers are totally normal up here in Leeds! I usually opt for skinny jeans, heals and a snazzy top. Enjoy!

SunshineOutdoors Wed 31-Oct-12 09:25:36

I'm 30 and same height and weight as you. I went out last weekend, wore dark skinny jeans, a sheer black vest top with a black cropped top underneath, then some ash beige wedge shoes to feel a little bit glam but still look quite casual. It does really depend on the club though, I went to quite an underground, casual club in Leeds. If you actually want to dance and enjoy yourself think about comfy footwear.

I personally think clubbing is more casual than bars or restaurants. The idea is you get all sweaty and dance for hours on end! I do find comfort a factor here.

Unless it's a v swanky club where you'll have lots of places to sit down. I was in an old converted garage with a concrete bench to sit on.

Really do need to know more about the type of club. Has anyone you're going with been before? I'd ask any other females you're going with what they're planning on wearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now