Talk

Advanced search

warm, stylish coat for depressed sister in law. size 20? Not too costly. opinions please

(17 Posts)
scaramanga Tue 30-Oct-12 13:42:50

Hello. I am taking my sister in law shopping on Friday. She is dealing with depression (recurring situation) and wants me to guide her as knows she needs to get out and do stuff but clothes shopping not really top of her list at proesent (understandbly).

She is tall - gorgeus - long dark hair - weight has increased over last couple of years and she tells me she is a size 20 - although doesn't always look it to me (?). She does have big boobs - I have been quite envious of them in the past but mine are catching up these days wink. I think she said her bra size is 38 or 40 E/F. She is 5ft 8"

She doesnt want to spend a fortune as hoping to shift some weight. She has just joined a gym (other sis in law is going to go with her for company).

She wants dark coat probably and simple - not too fussy. She is in her early 40s and a Boden fan but doesnt want to pay Boden prices this year.

Any help apppreciated. She is my favourite sister in law (more like a sister) and I want to give her a hand. She doesnt want to trawl round shopes for hours so we are trying to look online in advance (already found some boots and couple of cardigans). thanks in advance

Oh - she has a dog - so maybe a functionak coat could be an option - but i definitely dont see her in a parka smile.

I should have said her mother is Italian - they have style - so simple is the keyword here. grin...

KnitterInTheNW Tue 30-Oct-12 14:06:44

Any of these ? evans link

KnitterInTheNW Tue 30-Oct-12 14:07:18

I love the red twill swing coat.

ArtyFartyQueen Tue 30-Oct-12 14:08:30

Dorothy Perkins perhaps? I've just brought a navy parka jacket in size 20 and its super comfortable.

motherinferior Tue 30-Oct-12 14:10:10

I would take her for a bra fitting too if you've got a Bravissimo nearby - I'll bet she's actually a smaller back and bigger cup than that and will look all perky and babe-like in new lingerie.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 30-Oct-12 14:12:56

What mother inferior said smile

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Tue 30-Oct-12 14:26:08

I am a 22 and dh got me a lovely coat a couple of years ago from M&S.

scaramanga Tue 30-Oct-12 15:36:46

thanks for ideas - will have a look - hadnt thought of evans - what is the quality like? I went in once and all seemed bit cheap but believe has changed a bit in recent times.

She has had a bra fitting recently- she always looks good in that department - pointing the right way and never looks saggy ( i have best bras and everyday bras - i think she throws them out as soon as lose bit of shape - as I said Italian grin).

I think she has always had a look of Christina Hednrickson (is that right) - she plays the main female part in MadMen - the one you always see on the posters - she is tall and curvy. Admitted sis-in-law has put a bit of weight on so not as defined shape wise but she has that statuesque look and will get back to that one day I am sure.

thanks -will look at suggestions.

I got a gorgeous coat from Long Tall Sally in their sale last year. It really is stunning.

Hope she finds something to make her feel fabulous.

Itsgottabebags Tue 30-Oct-12 16:15:50

There was a label mentioned in the You magazine on Sunday that mentioned a label that went up to size 26 starting with an S. They had a gorgeous coat for less than 80 quid but I can't think of the name

accessorizequeen Tue 30-Oct-12 16:58:34

I am not as tall but similar build and have found next coats not bad for the price. Could order into the store by Friday? Debenhams, particularly Betty Jackson might have one. Don't find Evans good quality at all I must admit.

lovebunny Tue 30-Oct-12 20:59:57

asda. really.

whatagreatname Tue 30-Oct-12 21:10:00

I got a lovey coat in Wallis last year, about 60 pounds I think and very flattering

DolomitesDonkey Tue 30-Oct-12 21:15:33

If she's got cracking norks - as her bra-size would suggest - for the love of go steer her away from a swing mac lest she be mistaken for a ship in full sail!

Try and get something with shape, probaby not easy on a limited budget mind. sad Designers at Debenhams?

daisydoodoo Wed 31-Oct-12 07:29:15

Asda had some nice coats. I'm not normally an asda fan but was the closest supermarket to me the other day and I saw a quilted coat with a belt. Tried it on and was great £35, bargain!

cupcake78 Wed 31-Oct-12 07:34:17

Shops to try would be, wallis, Dorothy Perkins, next, m and s, coast (sometimes), debenhams, house of Fraser, monsoon.

Asda do coats but I wouldn't class them as good more everyday.

dreamingofsun Wed 31-Oct-12 07:34:55

if she is going to use the coat for dog walking i would get something that is washable and waterproof and warm. Speaking as a dog walker myself.

or maybe she has an old coat she can use for this and get a nice one for other things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now