Talk

Advanced search

practical advice for shifting weight off tummy

(20 Posts)
pocketandsweet Tue 30-Oct-12 12:28:59

Help. I need some good advice. Pre pregnancy gaining weight around my stomach was not a problem. I was a comfortable size 12 and any weight went onto my bum/ thighs. Now after two very complicated pregnancies ( which included 4 stomach opening operations to keep babies in and then get babies out) my stomach is a wasteland). I have had three Csection openings and one hideous vertical operation that has resulted in a scar up to my belly button. Now the healing is more than a year on but my stomach is just a gelatinous mess. I have started running. My diet is pretty good ( too much caffeine and chocolate but trying to wrestle that under control.... Prob too much empty white carbs. ). While I am willing to do some dietary changes I think the key has to be exercise and please help me figure out what is going to firm up my tummy. Oh forgot to say I am a size 16 now.

pocketandsweet Tue 30-Oct-12 13:04:02

Please?

Shalloween Tue 30-Oct-12 13:17:01

You could get one of those big exercise ball things (from Argos?) and do heaps of sit ups/crunches and stuff. Also google "The Plank" which is a killer exercise for most of your body but does good stuff to your abs.

Cutting down on the caffiene and carbs will give you quicker results - but then you know that as well as I do and I've had 2 coffees already this morning and have a mouthful of left over stuffing as I write smile

Vix07 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:23:58

I agree with staying off white carbs for a start, but you're also right that it is exercise which will target the right muscles, and it can be hard because most general exercise - walking, even running won't always do it. I've always had a weak core even when generally pretty fit and I found that an imaginary girdle really helped, and also really improved my posture so you get into a great virtuous circle. Just imagine you are wearing a really clingy dress and need to suck your tummy in all the time. If you remember to do it often enough it will really make a difference! Good luck!

pocketandsweet Tue 30-Oct-12 13:27:13

Thanks. I am a bit unsure about crunches since my last stomach operation I am unsure if crunches would make things worse. Maybe I need to go see a physio.... I had a rugby ball sized hernia repaired ( that I got from an operation when I was 12 weeks pregnant and still morning sick so therefore throwing up with this big stomach wound). As I write this out I am coming to the conclusion that I probably DO need to talk to a physio about what are appropriate exercises. AND LOOSE SOME of THOSE OH SO COMFORTING WHITE CARBS.

LIttleMissTickles Tue 30-Oct-12 13:30:51

See a physio, definitely. Also, Pilates is great as a safe way of training core muscles, AND DROP THE CARBS!

Annianni Tue 30-Oct-12 13:31:18

Google the Tuplar method, i've got a book by Julie Tuplar. I bought it from amazon.

It is supposed to work, i've read the book and done the warm up once... Must do it again grin

My c-section for ds2 was a classic one (like they did in the olden days) so i've got a lovely 8 inch scar, from the top of my belly button downwards.
So i've got a lovely wobbly tum at the moment too.

If you've got a gap in your stomach muscles, from the op, then the worst thing you can do is sit-ups. They'll make your stomach stick out even more.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 30-Oct-12 13:36:52

You need to see a physio/sports doctor before doing hardcore abs stuff.

The bad news is there is no way to reduce fat from specific areas of your body, if you diet and lose body fat genetics will dictate where it is lost from first.

Lots of exercise will help tone things up and make them more lean, although remember it is not possible to lose weight and build muscles at the same time! (fat loss requires calorie deficit, muscle building the opposite)

I am currently using diet and general exercise to increase fitness /bring my weight down. When I am happy with my weight I will start focusing more on "sculpting" particular areas.

pocketandsweet Tue 30-Oct-12 13:37:18

Tuplar method... I Was trying to remember what it was called. Thanks for writing Annianni.... At least Im not the only woman sporting a vertical scar. I'm going to make a physio appointment as well and we will see what they say. I am dreading presenting my current tone less mess for inspection but I suppose that it is the most sensible way to go forward.

Moredofbumsnet Tue 30-Oct-12 13:37:23

I think you need to see a physio and that your gp should refer you. BUT I have had some success with 'lose your mummy tummy ' by Somebody Tupler. if you do a mumsnet search you will get some idea of the exercises. I just flipped throught the book but didn't buy it and have over about 4 or 5 months gone from looking pregnant to just looking a bit tubby and things are still improving.here

QueenieLovesEels Tue 30-Oct-12 13:39:45

Low carb - low GI diet.

Crunches can be bad news if the muscles have separated-so see physio.

KristinaM Tue 30-Oct-12 13:54:56

No specific advice, just wanted to say well done on starting the running. It sounds like you've been through quite a lot with your pregnancies and you are doing well to get this far with two LOs. starting exercise and healthy eating are major lifestyle changes that take , motivation and effort. Keep up the good work!

cornybeefhash Tue 30-Oct-12 14:23:28

Julian michaels 6 week 6 pack
You need to give it at least a month but it really works
I've been doing it since summer and it's made a big difference

DonaAna Tue 30-Oct-12 15:06:54

With your post-op scars and hernia, you should not do Jillian Michaels etc without consulting a physiotherapist first. Sounds really dangerous if you have had a hernia!!! Get a consultation and learn the safe techniques.

The Tupler method is meant for recovery from diastasis recti, separated straigth abdominals. In a nutshell it is "keep pulling your navel towards your spine whatever you do". Lindsay Brin also has post-pregnancy workout DVDs that are supposed to be similar or even better. That said, you have so much scar tissue and other complicated problems that you should really consult a physiotherapist and a doctor - some exercises can be harmful for you and make your situation worse. Not all muscle separations can be corrected with exercise, and sometimes you may need a tummy tuck or scar reduction surgery. People who lose a lot of weight also sometimes need reconstructive plastic surgery because the skin on their belly remains too big after the fat tissue has been lost underneath.

Just to give you an idea, I have mild diastasis recti, no surgery scars, and my OBGYN advised me to get a tummy tuck (haven't had it done yet). I've had moderate success reducing it with the exercises, but your situation is definitely more complicated.

QueenMaeve Tue 30-Oct-12 20:03:44

The shred, always the shred

Vix07 Wed 31-Oct-12 00:37:07

ha ha, knew my 'imaginary girdle' thing had a proper name!

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 00:45:32

I love my Davina DVD but that is all over and I wouldn't recommend it for you with consulting someone.

Wheresmypopcorn Wed 31-Oct-12 03:14:01

I dropped carbs and most sugar for 4 days a week and lost my mum tum. Try no bread, potatoes, rice etc for 4 days and only have low/ zero carb veg like asparagus, cauliflower, brocolli or mushrooms or low sugar fruit like raspberries and blackberries.

HeavenlyWineandRoses Wed 31-Oct-12 03:57:26

wheresmy, how long did it take to lose your tummy using that method? Sounds effective but not sure how long I would manage without carbs.

BookieMonster Wed 31-Oct-12 04:01:43

Alcohol makes a big difference too and is terrible for making you put on pounds round the middle as you get older. If you are a drinker, cut back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now