Talk

Advanced search

john lewis style advisor, shall i keep what i got

(68 Posts)
miche8 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:14:02

So last week i visited the style advisor and this is what i came away with, only a few bits but very expensive - I usually shop at next, new look & fat face.

I'm wanting to have less clothes, but ones i really love, they don't look like anything special on the website infact they look horrible but in real life feel lovely quality and fit me really well and i really love them, am apple shaped, the lady got me to try on lots of shapes to show me what suited me. The clothes have sat in the bag untouched, i feel really uncomfortable with what they cost, my worry is will they wash ok, will i wear them a couple of times and then go off them. I do love them though. Someone talk me in to keeping them.

www.johnlewis.com/347897/Product.aspx

www.johnlewis.com/360847/Product.aspx

www.johnlewis.com/364584/Product.aspx

www.johnlewis.com/363871/Product.aspx

dexter73 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:17:14

They are all lovely - wear them instead of keeping them in the bag! Just follow the washing instructions and if something doesn't wash well you can take it back. I want the cashmere jumper!

MaureenCognito Mon 29-Oct-12 10:17:55

No to nyd jeans. Rip off. John Lewis are obsessed with them.
Mint velvet jumper is over priced for cotton.

dexter73 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:21:29

God I hadn't seen how much the jeggings cost! Take them back and get some from M&S instead - they seem to be very popular on here.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 29-Oct-12 10:23:12

I think keeping new clothes (especially things that are a bit different to what you're used to) in the bag for a while is totally normal! I need to "warm up" to the idea of them somehow. I recently started wearing a Zara top that I bought about a year ago, and I love it!

Saying that, I would never, ever buy handwash things because I know I just won't bother. They'll be worn a couple of times then moulder in the handwash laundry for months. That would be my only doubt about these, but if you're ok with handwashing and would actually do it then they're fine.

miche8 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:29:41

thanks, i did cringe when i saw the nyd jeans, i got the purple, they are not denim material don't know why they call them jeggings more of a skinny jean they tuck in my boots nicely, they are even more flattering than my levis curve jeans and so comfortable i had them on for at least an hour while trying on tops they didn't bag, dig in, or restrict me. I'm tempted to send john lewis a photo of myself for their website because the current photos are terrible.

The mint velvet jumper has bows on the back, which i liked.

Silibilimili Mon 29-Oct-12 10:29:44

Op, how was the overall process? Was it worth the time and effort? I am thinking of having this done. I am an apple too.

TapselteerieO Mon 29-Oct-12 10:31:31

I think you should start a thread asking if people can find the equivalent of these for less, maybe keeping the one thing you like most?

(I know I couldn't justify that kind of money on clothes, but if you can and are happy with hand washing plus the cost then go for it).

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 29-Oct-12 10:33:06

The jeans are pretty pricey, but they are a very delicate colour that works well with both jumpers. It all makes sense as a capsule wardrobe. I can't imagine M&S would do subtle colours like that, colours seem to be their weakness.

teta Mon 29-Oct-12 10:33:58

I love them apart from the NYDJ jeggings.Buy the M&S ones [the pull up ones]in purple for 20 pounds instead.I am an apple and they are really flattering on me.Cashmere can be washed on a 30 degree delicate wash with Woolite.Then fluff up in the tumble dryer for up to 5 minutes[no longer].

TapselteerieO Mon 29-Oct-12 10:34:25

Purple jeggings M&S £35.

bamboostalks Mon 29-Oct-12 10:34:48

I love NYC jeans, know they are scorned on here with people saying you can get the equivalent in top shop etc and look much cooler. Not my experience, sorry. Fine if you are size 10 and not challenging shape. They are v flattering. Always have people asking me about my jeans. Couldn't care less if Bloody Mary berry wears them.

dexter73 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:36:07

Those are nice TapselteerieO.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 29-Oct-12 10:37:46

Hm, I don't think that colour is quite as good as the pricey ones - but for £100 difference that has to be worth trying them on, doesn't it...

Hopefully Mon 29-Oct-12 10:38:18

Keep them if you love them! We're there any bits you felt pressured into buying, or did you love them all?

Having fewer, better quality clothes is so worth it. I speak as someone with <40 items of clothing in her life.

bamboostalks Mon 29-Oct-12 10:38:45

The waist on those m and s is v hard to wear and they gape. Tried them on, would not recommend, the zips look crap too and the pockets on the front are bulky.

issimma Mon 29-Oct-12 10:38:54

You said you love them, so keep them as long as you can afford them.

ifancyashandy Mon 29-Oct-12 10:38:54

The Whistles jumper is gorgeous. Classic and will wash / wear well. I have quite a lot of Whistles stuff and it lasts really well.

The rest I think are fairly ordinary - but the colours are lovely.

TapselteerieO Mon 29-Oct-12 10:40:01

Uniqlo purple ultra stretch, good colour, better than nyd, imho.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 29-Oct-12 10:42:14

Ah, those are nice! They look better in the thumbnails on the side, main thumbnail seems to be a bit dark.

I have Uniqlo straight-leg skinny, and while they're lovely they have given a bit. I'm going to size down next time.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Oct-12 10:42:14

I think a comfy, well fitting pair of jeans is worth £130, I'd keep them. I like the cashmere jumper, not as keen on the dress or the other top.

L01S Mon 29-Oct-12 10:45:02

They are all quite nice but they're all very expensive! i like to have fewer clothes that are right, good quality, work together etc etc... but tbh I think they are all seriously over priced. But then it totally depends what you normally spend!! I would have said to the style adviser that I would have expected six or seven pieces for that amount, not four. I don't know what age you are but those NYDJs are a bit frumpy. I like the levi's bold curve. They really hold it all in for me. Good bit cheaper too. And..... more fashionable?? I could be wrong about that though!?

Jeans are over priced. Grey sweater is lovely - you'll wear that forever.

miche8 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:46:50

silibilimili i would recommend, it was free and there was no pressure, the things i quite liked she put aside and told me to go off have lunch and come back if i really wanted them. Quite a few things she said didn't work, but agreed skinny jeans/jeggings in riding boots was a good look for me, she put me in looser tops when i had been wearing tighter tops, the tops had to have shape though, go in a bit under the bust but not like a tunic, that made me look pregnant, my appointment did over run in to 2 hrs and i tried on a huge amount of tops, its hard to find tops for my apple shape, she also got me boots, scarves and necklaces to try, i can see how a scarf flattered/hid my tummy. I would go back again, she got me trying on things/different brands i would have never ever picked up or looked nothing special on the hanger. I told her what occasions i wanted clothes for, what colours i liked, no patterns but love stripes.

L01S Mon 29-Oct-12 10:46:54

Also, you might MOCK me but if you are apple shaped, have a look at the country casuals website. they do goodd quality jumpers and I dislike 90% of them but when they get it right, they DO get it right. I have picked up a few things from CC that are very 'hobbsesque'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now