Talk

Advanced search

what age did you start a skincare routine

(17 Posts)
kilmuir Sun 28-Oct-12 10:48:34

discussing it with my friends, we all have daughters aged10/11. what sort of things/products

valiumredhead Sun 28-Oct-12 10:52:52

Aloe products from The Body Shop would be my first choice.

I started at about 13/14 iirc.

MrsSJG Sun 28-Oct-12 11:19:02

I started at 11, can't remember what I started out with but my Dsis had just started a beauty course and so I was tested on regularlygrin

Gillybobs Sun 28-Oct-12 11:59:12

I was 12. My mum bought each of her daughters the Boots Cucumber cleanser, toner and moisturiser on their 12 th birthdays. 30 odd years later and we have all taken really good care of our skin. Although we have moved on from the Cucumber range grin

CountBapula Sun 28-Oct-12 12:01:15

I was about 7 or 8, but I have really, really dry skin so I had to moisturise even then or it'd all just fall off sad

I don't really have any lines now, at 34 <anecdata>

Startailoforangeandgold Sun 28-Oct-12 12:02:21

I'm 44 and still can't get my head round skin care and routine in the same sentence.

I chuck on moisturiser when skin feels dry and exfoliate when I remember.

14y DD is much better, she applies cleanser most nights and seems to keep her spots well subdued.

HyvaPaiva Sun 28-Oct-12 12:10:09

Aw, this takes me back! I felt so grown up. I was eleven and it was Anne French, Aapri and Astral all the way grin In fact I might well stop being seduced by high-end and go back to these, they were great.

SilentMammoth Sun 28-Oct-12 16:42:55

About eleven. My mum bought me most of Clinique.

about two years later the same time I started moisturising to avoid stretch marks when pregnant. I stopped nine years later when it became abundantly clear that had been a prolonged waste of effort.

QuinnFabray Sun 28-Oct-12 17:01:48

Soap and a flannel until I was in my thirties. Bit of Oil of Ulay slapped on once I was mid 20's ( that's all I new, I remember my mother using it ).

It wouldn't have occured to my mother to teach me about skincare.

I'm trying to make up for it now, but I wonder what condition my skin would be in now, if I'd started at 12?

QuinnFabray Sun 28-Oct-12 17:03:44

knew.

I have a 12 year old son, and have bought him cleanser, as he's starting to get a bit oily and blackheady, and will encourage him to moisturise too, when it looks like he needs it. I will do the same with my daughter when she needs it.

Hopefully Sun 28-Oct-12 17:07:06

About 12 I think? Clinique soap and moisturiser, courtesy of my mother (my older sis had acne, she was trying to help me in case i got it, and apart from the awfulness of Clinique, it worked on the whole).

Have good skin still (almost 30), but attribute that more to its greasiness as a teenager (apparently this bodes well for skin in later life) than to amazing skincare.

Have used SPF daily since about 25, which I'm hoping will pay off long term.

kilmuir Sun 28-Oct-12 17:10:24

Blimey, AnnFrench, that takes me back.

QuinnFabray Sun 28-Oct-12 17:47:10

I think that's a myth, Hopefully. I've always had oily skin, and now I have oily skin and wrinkles (37). The wrinkles only appeared in the last couple of years, but they seem to have happened almost overnight. Maybe that's down to lack of sunscreen and skin care until about five years ago though. Too little too late? Or maybe none of it would have made any difference anyway. Who knows? I think it's basically down to suncreen, lifestyle and genes, rather than skin care.

Hopefully Sun 28-Oct-12 17:49:41

Quinn don't shatter my delusions! I have limped through 18 years of greasy skin with that as my only consolation.

<sulks>

Dededum Sun 28-Oct-12 17:53:06

43 and still haven't started smile

TheCunningStunt Sun 28-Oct-12 18:46:04

32 and never done it....not a wrinkle really either! I wash..of course...moisturise if its cold and my skin is dry. Otherwise I put it all down to good genes and diet apart from wine and chocolate

MissBoPeep Sun 28-Oct-12 19:02:02

About 13 I think- and cleansed my face with Johnsons Baby Lotion then progressed to Anne French. showing my age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now