Talk

Advanced search

Help! How can I disguise my blushing?

(10 Posts)
wellcoveredsparerib Sun 28-Oct-12 10:40:59

I have always been prone to going a bit red in the face after exertion or when flustered/embarrassed but it has now got quite extreme. I can now light up like a traffic light (the red one obviously!) and my anxiety about it just makes it worse.

I have a public speaking thingy at work tomorrow; a task I have never felt comfortable with, but am now even more anxious because of my blushing.

I dont usually wear foundation but sometimes tinted moisturiser and always concealer and powder.

Is there anything I can put on my face to disguise the redness without caking my face in foundation?

valiumredhead Sun 28-Oct-12 10:48:48

You need Bare minerals Bisque concealor - fab stuff, transformed my skin after years of making do with crap underachieving foundations and concealors.

wellcoveredsparerib Sun 28-Oct-12 11:04:09

Thanks for that tip. Is it easy to get hold of (Boots/Superdrug?)

Pinkflipflop Sun 28-Oct-12 11:10:03

Ask your doctor to see if you are a suitable candidate to take Beta Blockers! Seriously they have changed my life! When I have a public speaking or stressful situation I was the same as you except my blushing used to continue right down my neck and chest area - it was seriously debilitating.

They may not be for you but they worked wonders for me.

wellcoveredsparerib Sun 28-Oct-12 11:27:20

Pink, do you take them all the time or just when you know you are facing a stressful occasion?

Pinkflipflop Sun 28-Oct-12 11:36:03

No, I just take them when I know I have something stressful on at work, possibly 3-4 times a year.

If I had something stressful tomorrow, I take a beta blocker today, one tomorrow morning and then maybe one 20-30 mins before I know I will be in the situation. The ones I take are called propranolol - 80mg.

You can only get them from your doctor as I think some people, like if you have asthma or chest problems can't take them. They honestly have changed my life! Things like wearing more makeup etc just didn't work for me. Beta blockers help control the physical symptoms of anxiety, shaking hands, blushing, racing heart and as a result you don't feel anymore nervous than you should. Still a little bit nervous, but I wouldn't want to be spaced out and a few nerves are good!!

wellcoveredsparerib Sun 28-Oct-12 11:45:04

Thank you Pink. That is really useful advice. I need to see GP soon about something else so will ask about BBs.

elah11 Sun 28-Oct-12 11:46:36

Vichy Dermablend is great for covering redness and blotchiness, its expensive but you only use a tiny bit so it lasts ages. You just apply it like a normal foundation and they do a powder than you use over it to set it. I wore it out the other night to a place that was very warm, everyone else was redfaced and sweating but the Dermablend covered my redness completely. A friend even commented how come I wasnt feeling the heat like the rest of them ;)

valiumredhead Sun 28-Oct-12 15:26:15

Bare Minerals is from dept stores like John Lewis or Debenhams x

Isandri Sun 28-Oct-12 20:28:57

If you are one of the unlucky people allergic the the main mineral used in most mineral foundations then I recommend you try MAC studio tech. It's too heavy for me to use every day but it is wonderful for times when blushing is not good. It's full coverage but doesn't feel heavy when it's on and you don't get that face mask feeling from it. If you alloy it with a wet sponge it looks lovely. If you ask the MAC staff they'll find your correct colour and put a full face of make up on you or just the studio tech so you can see what you think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now