Talk

Advanced search

Makeover in Selfridges-What's the dealio?

(25 Posts)
PropertyNightmare Sat 27-Oct-12 22:37:31

Whenever I meander through Selfridges I find myself torn between leering at the McQueen jewels and greedily eyeing up the Mulberry bags. Like a bit of Bal too.
All that said, I can't help but notice the pretty young things getting their make up done at the various beauty counters therein. I could do with my face refreshing. Pray do tell, how does one secure such a makeover? Any counter will do, I just fancy updating. Hell, I'll even turn up bare (faced). Do you have to pay or is it more of a severe pressure to buy products used situation? I would rather pay than have the hard sell. Is it worth doing? I am in your hands smile
<<much wine emoticon>>

PropertyNightmare Sat 27-Oct-12 22:39:49

I might also buy a piece of caramel cheesecake and some jelly beans in the foodhall too
<<multitask>>

laracroft2001 Sat 27-Oct-12 22:51:50

Depends what counter you go to. Counters such as bobbi brown/laura mercier you would be expected to pay, usually redeemable on purchases.

Other counters such as Lancôme and Estée Lauder should offer free makeovers but you will get the hard sell (though you don't have to buy.)

A tip - never ask for a makeover. As to try the new foundation or whatever then say you are looking for a new look for a party etc.

If you say you are after a makeover/free make up - you will be classed as a 'TW '. (time waster) and quickly ushered out.

PropertyNightmare Sat 27-Oct-12 23:02:58

OMG! This is invaluable advice! I would have just asked. I already buy Estee Lauder though it is just a boring transaction. I ask for my foundation and under eye cream and they give it to me. No love lost. We don't even flirt sad. I need to shake it up. Might try Bobbi Brown and lie. Will say I am invited to an Ambassador's party and need refining grin
Thank you [flowers]

PropertyNightmare Sat 27-Oct-12 23:03:59

How the fuck does flowers work?! <<iPhone+wine>>

PropertyNightmare Sat 27-Oct-12 23:05:22

thanks

happyfrogger Sat 27-Oct-12 23:09:12

I had a Mac makeover there and wasn't impressed. It was £25 redeemable on purchases, that I didn't really want in the end as the guy totally plastered me after saying that was EXACTLY what I didn't want and I felt like I had no choice but to buy a lipstick and eyeliner or whatever it was I chose that I didn't really want. Good tip laracroft, will try that tack next time!

PropertyNightmare Sat 27-Oct-12 23:25:44

Hmm. That's taken on board, thank you. I am not wanting plastering so might avoid MAC then. I fancy trying a shiny highlighted cheeks situation. Just something awake, freshfaced and lively looking (as opposed to the living dead mother of a wakeful 6 month old and 3 other children too yet business as normal face wink).

Havingkittens Sat 27-Oct-12 23:40:30

Ah, here's the assumption again that make up artists are robots mass produced by the brand they work for! They don't all produce the same results. You can actually request specific artists for your make up appointment so take a bit of time to suss out which artist on the counter might understand the look you want. They won't all make you look like a drag queen! A lot of the staff on the "Artist brand" counters are freelance Make up Artists who work on fashion shoots and on celebrities. Often its good to get someone who works there part time. The full timers are more likely to be the ones desperate to "express themselves".

Laracroft's suggestion is the opposite of what I would recommend by the way. If you want your make up done, book a make up appointment or go when it's quiet, and be up front about it rather than pretending your going to buy something just to get a free makeover. The staff are not on commission but they do get into a lot of trouble if they don't make their targets so if they spend 40 mins with a customer because they think they are going to make a good sale and then the customer walks out with nothing this could cause problems for them if they've had a slow day. At least if you're up front they can sit you down and do your make up for you, but not feel guilty about breaking away to serve someone else quickly if the counter gets busy.

PropertyNightmare Sun 28-Oct-12 00:04:12

Ok, havingkits, that is helpful too. I would rather pay upfront for the makeover. I would totally consider buying shiny highlighter products that make me glow and show. Probs would not buy lipstick <<max factor lip finity till I die>> or mascara. Maybe I will take a mooch around the counters and decide which one to go for. Will miss off Lauder as bored of that already.

Coconutter Sun 28-Oct-12 00:08:16

Bobbi Brown don't charge for their makeovers and do several different ones. There was no pressure on me to buy anything (I like to see how it feels for a bit before deciding), and i was invited back a couple of weeks later for the evening look one - and still no sales pressure (I did buy out of choice). V impressed!

PropertyNightmare Sun 28-Oct-12 00:20:44

Oh that sounds really good. A day look and a night look would be perfect. How did you set the first one up? Did you ask outright or did they invite you (whilst you were there buying things/looking at counter)?

FaffTastic Sun 28-Oct-12 05:14:11

I think my Laura Mercier makeover was free though I did end up buying products. I didn't actually ask for a makeover, was just enquiring about make up brushes and how to use properly, and they suggested giving me a full face make over on the spot to show me. Who was I to quibble grin

Disclaimer: it was a genuine query about make up brushes and I did buy some, plus eye shadows and a primer which were ££ sad

MaureenCognito Sun 28-Oct-12 05:29:15

Mac have a book able thing. Ring up. You pay but buy its redeemable.

Graciescotland Sun 28-Oct-12 05:36:20

I've had a couple of makeovers at bobbi brown (who don't charge) just rock up and say you'd like to make an appointment. I'm an annoying type who likes to wear makeup for a day and see how it goes. I learnt my lesson after buying looks normal in store but weird in daylight clinique foundation. Never had a problem swanning off without buying anything afterwards. That said, I've popped back and picked up more than £100 worth of product both times. They're also quite good about packing you up little sample pots of moisturiser/ eye cream.

cornybeefhash Sun 28-Oct-12 05:37:44

I've had a guerlain and Clinique make over, although I was buying anyway. Wasn't impressed with either. Are they really make up artists?
I often get asked if I want a make over when I'm browsing. Probably out of pity.

cornybeefhash Sun 28-Oct-12 05:39:19

Chanel are also generous with samples

FaffTastic Sun 28-Oct-12 05:40:45

Hang around Estée Lauder counters. Always get asked if I want a free makeover when I walk past them - must look haggard in their eyes

MAC you definetley need to book an appointment beforehand - often weeks in advance.

FaffTastic Sun 28-Oct-12 05:43:13

Ooh Corny - I found Chanel to be the most stingiest sample-givers ever and that was after I bought a load of products. It must depend on the person you get. I obviously visited the Selfridges Chanel counter at the wrong fecking time.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 28-Oct-12 05:46:09

I had the most hideous make up done on Bobbi Brown in Selfridges last year - honestly it was so bad I made her stop half way through.

Personally I think you get a better service in somewhere like Space NK - but I think the key is to suss out one of the women whose make up you like and ask her for help or book a slot with her.

cornybeefhash Sun 28-Oct-12 05:46:19

Thy gave me loads of samples of foundation when I told them I was looking to buy a present for my sister - kept me going for ages grin

FaffTastic Sun 28-Oct-12 05:54:42

I've used Chanel make up for years. In future I'm just going to pretend I'm a new customer who is considering buying whilst they bribe me with freebies!

Agree Mrs CB that Bobbi Brown is shite. I walked away looking like a transvestite with 3 inch thick eyebrows. My H (at the time, now exh) walked 5 paves in front of me as didn't want to be seen with me twat

MaureenCognito Sun 28-Oct-12 06:00:48

I love the thick eyebrows

FaffTastic Sun 28-Oct-12 06:03:18

No, Maureen, this wasn't a HD Brow effect or even a Liverpudlian caterpillar look - it was a half my forehead taken over by crayola pencil affair.

TwllBach Sun 28-Oct-12 06:21:44

<raises hand> I had one done at an Elizabeth Arden counter and I was really impressed. I booked an appointment on a whim and the girl who did it was lovely. He really listened to what I wanted and very honestly said that they do charge, but if you buy something roughly in the same value range then they don't ask for the make up fee. She was very patent with me and explained everything she did - even not minding when I changed my mind after she had finished and asked for a smoky eye instead of a plain one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now