Talk

Advanced search

Meeting DPs Friends for First Time - Night Out Outfit Needed Please. Gold Sequin Skirt or am I Delusional??

(66 Posts)
FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 21:35:13

OK ladies, am looking for your help please.

Got a big night (in a club - yeah, yeah I know, at my age blush) coming up in the not too distant future where I'll be meeting my newish DP's friends for the first time. That part is kind of irrelevant but I do kind of what to create a knock 'em dead impression.

I'm 34 (though am told I do look about 6 years younger - for now at least), 5ft 6, size 10-12 (mainly 12) hourglass and 32e. Relatively young and trendyish in style. God, I sound like a right wanker typing that grin

Anyway, first DP since seperating from exh last year and its been years since I've done the whole meeting the friends thing so prob will be nervous. It's also been years since I've been to a proper club night so don't have a notion what to wear these days.

Have it in my head that a gold and black short skirt with black opaques, killer heels and a tight fitting slightly cleavagey black top would look nice.

Am I living in cloud cuckoo land and entering some kind of Liz McDonald early mid life crisis?

Anyway seen any such type of skirts that don't look overly gaudy and have a bit of classiness about them? Have googled to no avail.

If not, any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 21:36:23

Sorry, that should read gold and black sequin short skirt.

dexter73 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:37:53

It is difficult to say without seeing it. It could be too much or it could look fantastic. Can you link to the top and skirt?

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 21:41:35

Oh sorry, should have made my post clearer - I haven't actually found such a skirt. Just have an image of the outfit in my head. Was asking if anyone had seen such a skirt in their shopping travels or online as I can't find any

TuffEric Sat 27-Oct-12 21:41:58

Try All Saints for skirt - they had a lovely black and gold sequin one. And god you're making me worry now about age: am same as you and didn't realise we need to worry about mutton/lamb issues yet!! Also, don't forget golden rule: tits OR legs, not both. Good luck!

ujjayi Sat 27-Oct-12 21:42:00

If the skirt is tight then I would balance it out with a looser fit top - doesn't have to be huge & baggy.

And as for "at my age"..........you're ONLY 34 fgs!

ruddynorah Sat 27-Oct-12 21:42:08

M&s autograph have a gold sequin skirt. It's nearly knee length and the sequins are sort of matt gold. However I don't think sequins are right for clubbing really.What sort of club is it?

Chocamochalatte Sat 27-Oct-12 21:43:37

Is this the kind of thing you were thinking:

www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Mini-Skirt-in-Gold-Jacquard/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2354967&SearchQuery=Gold%20skirt&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Gold

www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Sequin-Skirt-with-Peplum/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2355700&SearchQuery=Gold%20skirt&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Gold

Chocamochalatte Sat 27-Oct-12 21:44:59

This looks quite nice: www.next.co.uk/g657544s4?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=googleps#774322g65

Chocamochalatte Sat 27-Oct-12 21:46:16

How about this: www.riverisland.com/women/skirts/tube--pencil-skirts/gold-baroque-velvet-pencil-skirt-625930

Chocamochalatte Sat 27-Oct-12 21:47:21

Or how about a dress: celebboutique.com/alicia-gold-foil-body-con-dress.html

LittlePandaBear Sat 27-Oct-12 21:49:48

How about this skirt from River island?

I also tried this top on today out of curiousity and it looked nice at the top but the peplum didn't work for me, I don't think it goes with my hips but maybe it'd suit you? Not sure it would go with the skirt though, I'm not great at matching tops and skirts!

I would say that a short skirt, cleavage top and v high heels may be a bit much (although I have been guilty of this look!) but you don't want your DP's friends to think you look tarty so try to keep something covered!

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 21:50:56

Thanks for links Choc but I don't suit peplums - don't need to make my hips bigger than they already are! They're both a bit too gold if that makes sense.

Ruddy - I'm not actually sure what type of club it is as it involves a weekend away in Manchester and have never been on a night out there before. No idea what people wear these days to clubs!

Thanks for reassurance about age - has been a tough few years with exh so feel about 2 decades older than I actually am!

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 21:54:51

PandaBear - thanks for link, but in my limited knowledge of clubs I think that skirt is probably too long and it looks too gold. I sound proper fussy don't I grin. Not sure if what I have in my head even exists!

Any other ideas gratefully appreciated - as I've said I have no notion what to wear to clubs - have been a pub/bar/live gig going out person for the past long while.

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 21:57:58

I couldn't wear a dress like the body con one Choc - don't like wearing straps like that as hate hate showing my full arms self esteem issues

I think it sounds nice (and get out with your 'too old' at 34 malarkey!)

If you don't go clubbing too often though, then this might work as you'd be able to wear for other occasions.

Alternatively, I saw someone out wearing something like this last night and it looked lovely.

LittlePandaBear Sat 27-Oct-12 21:59:29

Okay, i'll try again! This is nice but blue not gold! [http://www.warehouse.co.uk/geo-sequin-skirt./skirts/warehouse/fcp-product/6263056499 Warehouse]]

LittlePandaBear Sat 27-Oct-12 21:59:48

oops

X posts. Check out my first link if you want something to cover your arms.

Otherwise, this is a bit less 'gold' (and shorter, so more 'dancy') than the ones Choc linked to.

What's the club? You could check out its facebook page and see what sorts of things people wear.

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 22:02:43

Thanks Truth - but would have arm issues with the second link and I don't suit the style of the first link - due to body shape I don't tend to suit things that flare out on the hip or are shift dress style.

I'm making myself sound like a fashion stylists worst nightmare!

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 22:06:11

Oooh, I do actually love the warehouse geo skirt Panda

The only skirt so far that's not gold which is what I wanted lol. Do you think that skirt would be appropriate with black opaques, high heeled black suede shoe boots, a plain black Lycra v neck top with either a necklace or earrings?

LittlePandaBear Sat 27-Oct-12 22:10:45

Yay smile

Yes it would def go with black opaques and a black top. And don't miss the 25% discount code at the top of the webpage!

IceAndSliceOfBrainsPlease Sat 27-Oct-12 22:12:53

Have you looked on ebay? Could have the very thing you want - I have a perfect 70s styleee rainbow sequinned boob tube (never worn it, just wanted one) I bought on there.

FaffTastic Sat 27-Oct-12 22:13:13

Good idea Truth - have just looked on Facebook though and it's just got hundreds of photos of djs and line ups rather than people. Think it's a bit of a trendy wendy night - it's called the Warehouse Project if that means anything to anyone. Think it's a club night that picks a different venue each time rather than being an actual club itself.

Feck, I'll be nervous enough with the whole friend introducing thing never mind having to worry about going to a club I've never been to before and wondering what to wear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now