Talk

Advanced search

Losing weight - how to cope with the "in between" stage

(8 Posts)
JemimaMuddledUp Sat 27-Oct-12 20:27:21

I have made some pretty big lifestyle changes and have lost 2.5 stone, going down 2 dress sizes. Obviously this means that all my lovely clothes now look like tents on me. However as my budget isn't unlimited, and because I still have more weight to lose, I don't want to go wild buying new things just yet.

I bought some jeans (2 sizes smaller than my old ones) but they now need a belt to keep them up. I bought a couple of tops and a jumper, but am getting very bored of wearing them in rotation.

Any ideas? How can I get through this in between stage without looking like a bag lady in my old clothes but at the same time looking like I own more than one outfit!?

Ebayaholic Sat 27-Oct-12 20:29:52

One word....eBay. If you've got the commitment to search and search you will pick up some absolute bargains.

Mumelie Sat 27-Oct-12 20:36:00

I'd second eBay, for selling and the funding a new wardrobe. I've just been through a similar weight loss and ask like decent quality clothes, eBay was my only option.
Other than that, you could try supermarket clothing lines, or cheaper high street shops like H&M or New Look.
Congrats on the weight loss as well!

musttidyupmusttidyup Sat 27-Oct-12 20:38:31

I had this problem -all the things I bought in my in between stage last winter were not suitable this winter. I could advise...
1) buy cheap tight long sleeved tips from h and m and layer them up with looser things on top - you'll wear them next year as the top layer.
2) eBay fab for 2nd hand jeans so find some you like in the shops then find them on eBay - it doesn't matter so much if you have to replace them in a couple of months if they only cost you £8 or so and you can sell them on after.
3) talking of eBay take some time to nicely photograph your old stuff that's nice (brands, next, M&S, topshop etc sell well) and list them - I always pay the extra to start them at £5+ as not bothered to sell them for pennies. I just did this and made a good £100 or so for old trousers and jeans. Big sizes sell especially well.
4) buy cheap basic tops from supermarkets etc and then dress them up with jewellery an scarves. Easy to get away with skinnies /boots/ plain tops and scarves look this time of year.
5) get your hair/ nails done so you will feel nice and won't worry so much about the clothes.
6) remember its worth holding onto those pennies to get some really nice bits when you get to goal.
Well done on 2.5 stone. Great achievement.
HTH

musttidyupmusttidyup Sat 27-Oct-12 20:38:54

X posts!

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 27-Oct-12 21:06:06

Thanks, I'm browsing ebay as I type!

A lot of my now too big clothes are Boden/Monsoon/Joules etc so I would probably make some money on ebay if I pulled my finger out and listed them.

I have found a smart wool coat at the back of my wardrobe that I used to wear before I had the kids but hasn't fitted me for years. At least I can put that on when I'm out and hide what is underneath!

Mumelie Sun 28-Oct-12 09:45:22

I also sell Monsoon, Boden etc on eBay and it does all go for good prices too. Get them photographed today and listed this evening - Sunday nights are best for higher bids! If you use the quick listing tool on the eBay website, it really doesn't take that long once you get into the swing of it.

musttidyupmusttidyup Sun 28-Oct-12 11:58:08

Added bonus is that PayPal account feels like free money - so once you've earned it you can spend it guilt free!
I had a massive clear out around the house - clothes, old baby things, toys etc and what I have made has paid for Christmas this year smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now