Talk

Advanced search

Hair loss following childbirth - Oh My God!

(18 Posts)
maldivemoment Fri 26-Oct-12 21:42:20

So this is baby No.2 and it happened the first time around too but it still doesn't make it any less upsetting! Anyone had this after more that one pregnancy? Any little nuggets of advice you'd care to share?

I'm breastfeeding so have posted on that forum too, asking about taking an Iron supplement as heard it may help.

Baby is 4 months old and I remember last time it was at it's worst around month 5. I swear it took almost 2 years for my hair to resemble what it was pre-baby! I don't know if I've blotted out just how awful it was or if it does in fact seem to be worse second time around (please God, no!) sad

BobbysBeardOfWonder Fri 26-Oct-12 22:39:38

Oh god I feel your pain sad DC2 is 5.5 months and I'm still loosing handfuls of hair. In fact I've now got patches on each side of my head where the hair has obviously come away more and not regrown - it looks v odd and I feel very self-conscious about it sad

No advice I'm afraid, just sympathy

PropertyNightmare Fri 26-Oct-12 22:49:27

Yeah, I'm sure mine is thinner at the front at the mo (following my little ds). I have not really noticed hair shedding more than usual but it definitely looks thinner. Ds is my fourth and I think it happened after at least one if not two of my others. Try not to worry, it will grow back. Ds is my last so I'm hoping hat once my hair picks up it'll be good for years!

SoozleQ Fri 26-Oct-12 22:51:06

God, I'd forgotten about this lovely side effect of bearing children. Just had DD2 and my hair is looking lovely at the moment. From recollection with DD1 it won't be long before it's thin, lanky and horrible [sobs]

fuckwittery Fri 26-Oct-12 22:52:29

but isn't it because your hair gets really thick during pregnancy due to the hormones and you are just losing the extra hair? I know its loads to lose, but does it help to think of it like that? Not sure that explains BBoW's patches though, is your hair becoming thinner than before you were pregnant?

poocatcherchampion Fri 26-Oct-12 22:54:35

I hope it's some consolation to say that I've got unexpectedly loads of tufts bits at 7.5 months post partum. I guess I'll be back to gorgeous soon!

PropertyNightmare Fri 26-Oct-12 23:21:59

Mine is definately thinner than before pregnancy. I can see some regrowth at the front already so fingers crossed that it will improve!

BobbysBeardOfWonder Sat 27-Oct-12 08:19:11

Yes my hair is def thinner now at the front, quite visible patches sad
It sort of looks like new growth but I'm not sure.
Will it grow back, does anyone know?

GreatGardenstuff Sat 27-Oct-12 08:29:26

My regrowth is currently about 2 inches long, DS is going to be 1 in a couple of weeks. So there is hope.

On the downside, I now have 2 fringes of different lengths, and lots of fluffy new hair sticking up. Also the new hair at my temples is curling round in true Dot Cotton style. It's an interesting look overall.

WildRumpus Sat 27-Oct-12 08:34:53

My hair is falling out all over the place. It's v long and blond and the whole house is covered in the stuff. Not to mention the shower - to DH's fury! Baby is nearly 5 months old and the hair started falling out in the last couple of weeks. Amazingly as she is my 3rd I had totally forgotten about this bizarre post - pregnancy phenomenon. Hair has always returned to normal before so I'm optimistic that the effects won't last too long. Going to book myself in for cut and colour. A few inches off and a sprinkling of highlights and lowlights should help give it a semblance of life.

kaz1119 Sat 27-Oct-12 08:43:55

I had it with both DC. it was really bad. I dont think you can do anything. Eventually it will grew back but it took a good 2 years.

maldivemoment Sat 27-Oct-12 09:25:28

Oh God...2 flippin years to wait once again! Still, good to know lots of you have had it with each pregnancy and it did grow back.

This years Christmas photos are going to be interesting!

Thank you all for posting.

mejon Sat 27-Oct-12 11:21:03

Greatgardenstuff - me too. I've got lots of fluffy, curly new hair around my hairline and temples. It is around 2in long and DD2 will be 21m next week. TBH I didn't notice any significant hairloss. It was only seeing the new hair beginning to grow that alerted me to the fact that it had gone in the first place.

Popcornia Sat 27-Oct-12 13:46:57

Mine got worse after each baby - by time I had DC3 I had visibly weird regrowth-y bits sticking up all over my head. Even now I can see the regrowth (4" long) compared to my regular hair (more like 8"), and DC3 is 2.5.

On the up side, no-one else other than my hairdresser seems to notice the regrowth anymore...

Piemistress Sat 27-Oct-12 19:47:21

DD is 4 months and my already very thin fine hair is also coming out in clumps. At least winter is coming up so can hide it under a hat, either that or cut it short again!

DD is 7.5 months and my hair has been falling out in handfuls for months now. Like WildRumpus it's pretty long (down to my bra strap at the back) and it is everywhere! I am constantly picking my hairs off DD, and yesterday I sat and finger-combed my hair and nearly had enough to stuff a cushion. The shower plughole keeps blocking up. I noticed regrowth at the sides above my ears, but haven't spotted any bald spots, thank goodness. My hair's really fine as it is.

Arithmeticulous Sat 27-Oct-12 20:40:34

My friend calls it five month mange grin

Tgel shampoo helps with the itching (I was convinced I had nits) and get some drain unblocker chemicals for the shower.

Scaredycat3000 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:45:50

I believe, like fuckwittery, that it's 'extra' hair. I thought your hair stops falling out when you're pregnant and then starts to fall out after the birth. I'm sure mine was worse second time round. I have really thick hair to start with, and don't need any more! I cut all my hair off both times, DS2 has just turned one and I can't notice the regrowth now (might do if I looked hard) in my short hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now