Talk

Advanced search

please talk to me about your exercise regime and

(42 Posts)
scripsi Fri 26-Oct-12 21:03:37

give me a kick up the bottom.

I used to exercise almost every day in my twenties, after being a very non-sporty child, but now I am a bit stuck. This week I have started doing 30 mins a day on my neighbour's ancient elliptical trainer (it's in their garage, I do have their permission) and am beginning to feel the benefits already, though I am beating myself up for letting it slide for years and experiencing low moods as a result.

So, now I am thinking of getting exercise DVDs etc. I want to change my body shape.

Should I be working up to an hour on most days?

Spookey80 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:14:14

I don't know if this is of any interest to you, or helpful at all, but I am very crap at being motivated to exercise. Therefore I now cycle to work three times a week, which takes about 25minutes each way, and then try to walk everywhere, and try to get out for a jog, even if just 20 mins twice a week.
I find the cycling the best thing as I then know I have done something and it doesn't have to eat into my days off because its all out of the way on a work day.
Hth

scripsi Fri 26-Oct-12 21:16:49

thanks Spookey80 that does help: perhaps I need to make exercise more integrated rather than "now I will exercise" which is what it was like in my twenties when I apparently had loads of time.

Dancealot Fri 26-Oct-12 21:33:37

Hi Scripsi. I've been doing 'the 30 day shred' dvd for the last few weeks- it's by Gillian from the biggest loser. It's great as it only takes 25mins, and the time goes really quick as it's 3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio, 1 min abs, repeated three times. It's really toned up my arms and stopped my tummy being so flabby. Generally I like to switch things around to keep me interested so I go through bursts- sometimes jogging is my favourite thing, sometimes body combat at the gym, sometimes my Davina dvds. Changes things around keeps me motivated.

sweetheart Fri 26-Oct-12 21:36:07

Ok, I am a bit of an exercise fanatic and feel quite down when I'm not on form. So here's a few tips from me:-

Write your exercise in a diary like appointments so that you have a scheduled time. That way you are less likely to find other things more important to do.

If you are running short of time that is not an excuse to skip exercise, you can get a decent workout in just 15 mins so you don't need an hour or more.

Make plans with people, that way you are less likely to give up or cop out. Classes with friends are great, especially if you are competitive and want to do better than them

Team sports - the personal development aspect is great plus you get a social side too. Also if you get involved in team games you are letting other people down if you don't attend.

If you are feeling very unfit start with something gentle like Pilates or yoga, if your not into series classes things like Zumba, pole dancing etc can all be fun ways of keeping it

Sign up for a challenge so you have something to train for. This year I did the London to Brighon bike ride for charity having never really cycled before. I'm currently deciding on my next challenge.

Finally at weekends get out and do active things with the kids. Some stuff we enjoy as a family are bowling, cycling, canoeing and ice skating.

DVDs I've enjoyed are anything Davina, anything jillion eg 30 day shred etc. nell mcandrew, billy blanks ate no (old but good)

As an idea I use my lunch hour to do a 30-40 min workout at least 3-4 times per week which are usually cycling, running, circuit training or gym resistance work outs. I also do an hour most evenings which is made up of boxercise, Pilates, netball matches or training, etc

Hope some of this s helpful for you x

FarrowAndBollock Fri 26-Oct-12 21:43:38

I find it much easier to exercise in the gym where lots of other people are working hard too. I love to get on the machines next to someone who is really pushing themselves as it makes me work harder too. Also, now I am in my 40s I know there is an increased benefit of weight training as not only does muscle burn more calories, but I think I read that it also produces oestrogen as you start to produce less in menopause.

iloveeverton Fri 26-Oct-12 22:01:46

i find a goal helps- i signed up for a 10k 3 years ago, now my next challenge is a marathon!

I also have a dog- he gets me out for a fast walk everyday!

My sister has a cross trainer- uses it infront of the tv catching up with soaps.

Or find a class you like- i love TRX and its only 30mins but burns 400 calories a class

drowninginlaundry Fri 26-Oct-12 22:18:11

Crossfit, google it! I go twice a week, have done it since June, now i have abs. You can actually see them. I am 41, three children. If you want results quickly, it'll hurt but you'll look hot in a bikini. My sister has gone from size 16 to size 12 in less than a year with no dieting, just Crossfit.

MegBusset Fri 26-Oct-12 23:04:00

I had been slogging along with the 30 Day Shred on and off for several months when I started doing the couch-to-5k running programme. In six weeks it has made a massive difference to my fitness, and I have lost weight much quicker than by Shredding - I think I need a good amount of cardio to keep my metabolism up. Now I have stopped Shredding and am running 3x week and it's free too smile

Sleepwhenidie Sat 27-Oct-12 08:24:14

Hi, another person who trains most days here. i get to the gym for weight training and 20 mins interval training 2-3 times a week and go kickboxing 2-3 tmes per week. Will run, swim or trx if i get a chance or am away from home and/or can't get to the gym or dojo.

I think a good idea is to challenge yourself to do at least 30 mins exercise every day for a month. The key, IMO is making it a habit that feels as essential to your daily routine as brushing your teeth. Not that i think you absolutely have to keep this up, rest days are important and you need to listen to your body, but creating a habit so that rather than feeling like a big effort and chore, it feels strange not to do something that physically tires you.

Re your question about time, 30 mins is fine, 45 probably better, depends what you are doing and what your goals are (pure fitness/weight loss/muscle building?) For example, if you are just wanting to burn calories, you could gently walk 5 miles and burn the same calories as running 5 miles but this won't work your heart/lungs/muscles the same way. And walking will obviously take much longer grin

Interval training is fantastic and most efficient time and results wise, it suits any type of cardio. Shred is basically intervals and is an excellent dvd. You should also incorporate resistance training, for the reasons farrow mentions. Weights, Trx, kettlebells, resistance bands or just bodyweight exercises (push ups, pull ups, tricep dips, squats, lunges, planks) all good and 30 mins of this in a session is plenty. Shred also includes resistance training.

Finally - always stretch afterwards!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 27-Oct-12 08:41:10

I run.

I was never sporty at school but started mountain biking in my mid 30's and moved to running during the winter months and stuck with it.

For me the drive is getting out and seeing the countryside, the feeling of satisfaction coming back from a long run and the benefits for my mental health. Also pushing my body and seeing the improvements. I never thought I could run and now I've run a marathon and regularly run training runs of 13+ miles. I love it and really notice a difference in my well being when I am injured or have some time off.

I think you need to think about whether you enjoy exercising with others or on your own, inside or outside and take it from there. You have to enjoy it to stick with it.

Chandon Sat 27-Oct-12 08:50:31

For me, long term ( am 40 now), the only thing that works is to do the kind of exercise I actually enjoy ( in my case playing tennis and swimming), and/or doing it on a fixed day with someone else ( so you have to cancel if you don' t fancy going).

Bursts of activity on exercise bikes or with dvd never lasted for me.

Also, I exercise 4 times a week, and think that is more realistic than every day, and sustainable long term.

Hth

Chandon Sat 27-Oct-12 08:52:00

Oh, and winter walks with the family!

scripsi Sat 27-Oct-12 11:21:16

Wow thanks thanks for all the messages (I fell asleep at 10pm last night!). My goal is health and strength/stamina, releasing pent up stress (and a sense of achievement) and then also the more aesthetic side, but in that order of priority.
I am going to look into crossfit drowninginlaundry I used to do hardcore crosstraining and that could be a good fit! Dancealot I have just ordered the Gillian DVD to mix in with my blagged elliptical trainer sessions.
Interestingly Megbuset I think I need more than 30 minutes to get my metabolism up/affect my mood too.
farrowandbollock I had no idea about the estrogen benefits of weight-training: that's fantastic.
sweetheart that is all brilliant advice: I also miss the mental effects of training. Iloveeverton I am going to look into TRX (couldn't quite understand what was going on when I googled it so could be quite fascinating).
Sleepwhenidie I am going to commit to making it an absolute habit for a whole month - so I am going to do 30-45 mins on the elliptical trainer each day (so that's cardio, also feels quite hard on the arms), mixing in a Gillian DVD when it arrives.

I have some geographical constraints because the nearest gym is a long drive away from work and home, I could look into team sports but I think I need to get some more confidence in my stamina to feel comfortable doing that but I am going to look into buying some weights (there are some weight sets going for next to nothing on gumtree) and resistance bands.
I might get into running again though I am concerned that the mad quantities of running I did in my 20s will eventually come back to haunt my knees. I have been trying to find friends who might want to train with me but I have very non-sporty friends these days (though they'd happily join me for a sauna/spa treatment after a workout. This could change if I get into team sports of course.

Off to sneak into neighbours' garage with a book to get on with my training while it's all quiet on the DC front. They are good motivation as they both look as if they dropped off the cover of Men's Health.

NotAnIdiotHonest Sat 27-Oct-12 11:34:12

I do a fast 40 min walk 4 times a week (getting to and from work)

I do 1.5 hour a ballet class once a week, which is the hardest and best exercise I know.

I do Brooke Siler's Pilates CD twice a week - highly recommend it, great for abs and legs.

Also do Element Ballet Conditioning DVD when ballet class isn't running which is great even if you've not done ballet before and amazing for thighs.

NotAnIdiotHonest Sat 27-Oct-12 11:38:06

And same as Chandon it has to be something I enjoy or I don't stick with it. Have started and given up aerobics, swimming, running, self defence...all too boring. For me, ballet is not just about exercising so the fitness that results is just a side effect of doing something artistic and challenging that I love.

MaureenCognito Sat 27-Oct-12 11:43:51

I'm a freak about it now. Dm not sporty but love body pump and spin. Go at least three times a week. More in holidays.
I think the change was seeing the effects rapidly because it was combined with a diet. And the old Oprah ism of "live your best life "

teta Sat 27-Oct-12 12:22:14

I exercise 5 days a week at the local gym doing whatever class is on first thing.The gym is near the school so i go straight there after walking the dc's in.I also try and go on a walk with the kids at the weekend.Plus i do the school run up and down a steep hill at least twice a day.

Sleepwhenidie Sat 27-Oct-12 12:41:40

Scripsi re your goals, sounds like kickboxing would be great for you if you can possibly get to a class. Agree that it is best to find something you enjoy but for me it is also about the headspace/me time (along with effect on mood and fitness/figure) so for example, even though I don't especially enjoy running I will do it if short of time, only practical option available.

Try intervals on the elliptical; warm up 5 mins then put resistance up to what would be 80-90% effort (where 100% you could only manage 20secs) and do 1 min, then reduce resistance to 40-50% for 1 (or up to 2 if needed, reduce to 1 as you get fitter) mins to recover, then up again to 80% and repeat for 12-20 mins. If you do 12 mins of this then 20+mins steady pace you will have a fantastic workout. Also good on elliptical is just holding fixed handles and lowering your body so that you are "running" in a sort of squat/lunge position, amazing for quads andbum wink

JudeFawley Sat 27-Oct-12 18:18:38

I try and do 5x per week. Never less than 3.

Usually manage body pump and 2 spinning classes, rest of time I run on treadmill and use free weights. Sometimes I use cross trainer, but it bores me to tears.

scripsi Sun 28-Oct-12 10:08:43

Thanks for all the encouragement. Am mn'ing in my sportswear reading to do a 45 min session.

Maureen that motto "live your best life " is something I should get tattooed on the inside of my eyelids!
teta you have a pretty impressive regime!
I am impressed and surprised at the amount of ballet going on - have always wanted to try it but lack grace! So that could be something I look into.
The elliptical intervals is a good idea sleepwhenidie I am going to try the lunge-running pose now.

motherinferior Sun 28-Oct-12 10:14:19

I crawl out of bed twice a week at 6.30 and go swimming; then I swim on a Saturday afternoon too.

scripsi Sun 28-Oct-12 10:30:17

motherinferior I never got into swimming due to dingy swimming pool memories from school, but kudos for getting up at 6.30am. I am beginning to realise that getting up an hour earlier would help to fit in sport sessions. I just need to work out how to sleep earlier which has always been a problem for me (and to get DCs to cooperate on that too hmm

TheHumancatapult Sun 28-Oct-12 10:43:19

Scripi

Google DDP yoga or look at Arthur DDP yoga you tube .
It's not your normal yoga but jts not hard on knees like the shred and I can get my heart rate up to a fat burning zone in less than 10 mins ( used be less but fitter now ) and keep it there .

I'm another one allergic to excersise and have ti say makes a big difference to me and it's very noticeable grin mines been not more adapted for me personally but there's quite a few doing it

TheHumancatapult Sun 28-Oct-12 10:44:25

Oops that's has instead of not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now