Talk

Advanced search

Any House of Colour experts or Winters around?

(9 Posts)
NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 20:46:46

Is there something about Winter colouring that means we look rubbish in small, detailed prints? I love vintagey prints but even when I find one in the right colours it makes me look a bit washed out.

rubyrubyruby Fri 26-Oct-12 21:23:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snail1973 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:43:27

Yes, you need your style done too. I am Autumn and Dramatic Classic, so any small ditsy or floral prints are rubbish for me. I need large or abstract print only. This was a revalation to me and I now understand why I have always found it soooooooo hard to find a summery dress that suits me (they are always 'pretty'and floral ie. not me!)

Hopefully Fri 26-Oct-12 21:43:42

As ruby says, it might just be that they are not your style. I am appalling in anything remotely small scale, be it prints, accessories, whatever. Style day covers all of this (and about a billion more things).

The other thing is that winters are usually best in bold blocks of colours, so if the print is creating a very tonal effect rather than a contrasting one, it might be dragging you down a bit.

Hopefully Fri 26-Oct-12 21:45:20

I am Dramatic too, like snail (although with Natural, rather than Classic). I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to discover why 'pretty' and 'classic' things looked dull/downright awful on me.

NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 21:45:35

Grrr, so I need to spend money on the style day?? It did sound good when HoC woman described it. Did you do the style day then? I'm quite body confident so don't need to learn how to dress for my shape. But maybe i'm trying to wear prints and things that aren't right for me.

NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 21:47:23

That reply was to ruby bit I took so long to write it you all replied! Thank you, I am def tempted by style day now smile

snail1973 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:53:21

Well I found the style day v helpful, but then I was clueless before! TBH I took away about 4 or 5 key pieces of advice that I did not know before and that really transformed the way I dressed so it was well worth the money. However there was quite a lot of general advise about how you should audit your wardrobe before you go shopping so you know what you need to fill the gaps, and that you should set yourself a budget for the year and plan how and in which season you are going to spend it. That stuff is not rocket science, but still overall it was massively useful to me and my local HoC lady is fab!

NotAnIdiotHonest Fri 26-Oct-12 22:10:56

I am slightly clueless about style - although I love clothes and shopping I can't put an outfit together to save my life (so tend to wear dresses) and rarely wear accessories. I frequently find myself hating everything in my wardrobe and feeling like some essential item of clothing is always missing.

The lady who did my colours was lovely so will go back to her. Just the colours were a revelation so should think i'll get plenty out of the style day, hopefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now