Talk

Advanced search

Lost a lot of weight...now what?

(9 Posts)
PippiL Fri 26-Oct-12 17:00:16

Recently lost a lot of weight and need to go shopping as all my clothes are too big.

First problem is I don't really know what size I am.
I'm 5'5" 10st 7lbs
Bust 35-6
Waist 29
Hips 36
That what size am I thingybob says I'm a size 14, but my size 12 gap jeans are a bit big for me, so not sure that can be right.

Secondly, I have been wearing a fat coverup uniform for the last 10 years consisting of boot cut jeans and long sleeve tops with cardigans.

What do I need to buy as wardrobe staples? I have set aside a child free afternoon this week. Jeans are a priority. I'm not sure whether to get a really good expensive pair of, say, Levi's or a couple of cheaper alternatives.

I'd like to show off my new figure a bit now i have the confidence, and don't have a dress code at work so can wear what I like.

Any advice gratefully received.

KatoPotato Fri 26-Oct-12 17:11:58

Hi and well done!!

Go shopping and have fun! I've lost 3 stone since January and my colleagues only noticed when I wore this owl print dress from Primark

Its blousy and fitted and everyone hinks its from whistles!

PippiL Fri 26-Oct-12 17:18:06

Well done to you too!

See, that is the kind of thing I would never think of even trying on. I must start telling people all my clothes are from whistles.

MissBoPeep Fri 26-Oct-12 17:22:48

I don't know!

You just need to try things on.
I am a 32D up top, a 29 waist and 35 hip and wear a 10. But I weigh just under 8 stone, so you must be a totally different shape. Don't mean that nastily- and I am 5 3"

I am having a knitted dresses phase with a skinny belt at the waist. If you have an hour glass figure you should go for something fitted like a wrap dress, or a shift dress with a defined waist.

PippiL Fri 26-Oct-12 17:40:20

Am 32DD or E...I think. Need to get measured too.

No offence taken. I have always carried a lot of weight for my size I think.

Sizes vary so much. I fit into a size 10 gap denim skirt I tried on in a hurry last week when I had 5 mins to spare with the kids. Comfortably with extra room. But it could have been very generous. I had to check to see it wasnt the US sizing. Bit flabbergasted to see it wasnt!
I imagine I could also be 14 in some shops or styles.

Wrap dresses could work now that my waist is smaller.

Clure Fri 26-Oct-12 17:46:10

Well done. How do you feel about skinny jeans? New look and primark have some very stretchy pull you in ones. They can be dressed up with a nice top or there are lots of slouchy sweaters/ tshirts around to balance out proportions of skinny jeans.

PippiL Fri 26-Oct-12 18:15:16

Could try skinny jeans. Bit worried about camel toe though! I like the idea of skinny cords, but think they might sausage my legs.

PippiL Fri 26-Oct-12 18:46:54

Oh the what's my size thingamajig isn't actually working on the iPad! Size stays as 14 no matter what measurements I put in!

Still none the wiser about my size though.

DontCallMeBaby Fri 26-Oct-12 18:58:11

Size really will vary from shop to shop, and even within shops. You're roughly the same size as me, a little smaller round hips and chest. My Gap jeans are size 12, but Gap khakis are 10. Tops are generally a 14, as I have big boobs, but dresses (Joules and Boden) will be a 12. Meanwhile I still wear some size 16 tops from pre weight loss, and they don't have off me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now