Talk

Advanced search

Can we talk false eyelashes please?

(13 Posts)
NotMostPeople Fri 26-Oct-12 16:58:10

At the ripe old age of 40 three I have never worn false eyelashes but I have a fancy dress thing to go to on Saturday and think they'd go well with my outfit.

So I have lots of questions, are they horrible to wear? should I have a practise before Saturday night? which ones are the best? what should I look for? should I avoid the more 'advanced' ones ie. bits of glitter/stones stuck on them? What else might I need to know?

Thank you oh great ones.

MsArseBiscuit Fri 26-Oct-12 17:09:48

Speaking as a veteran of several false eyelash disasters when I first used them, I recommend a packet of Eyelure or Ardell individual lashes, much easier to put on, much less obvious and much more comfortable ( you don't have to arse about cutting the band shorter or making sure the band is flexible ). The best stuff to stick them with is Duo glue but the glue that comes with them is ok. I would have a practice beforehand because it can be a bit fiddly,watch Lisa Eldridge's tutorial on YouTube.

MissBoPeep Fri 26-Oct-12 17:19:59

Would you ever wear them for everyday wear?

I have relly short lashes and use about 4 coats of mascar to get the look I want- which is not 1960s panda eyes!

Would falsies be an everyday option? I used to wear them years back for going out in the evenings but now they are much mre subtle.

MsArseBiscuit Fri 26-Oct-12 18:37:03

No, MissBoPeep but then my job isn't exactly conducive to that kind of glamorous effort. I have worn them during the day at the weekend occasionally but I cba all the time.

NotMostPeople Fri 26-Oct-12 20:19:02

You can have eyelash extensions for everyday, a friend of mine had them and was very happy.

I don't necessarily want them to look natural as its fancy dress.

TeaTeaLotsOfTea Fri 26-Oct-12 21:59:21

I would get the extensions done professionally personally.

They will last longer and its less fuss for you. You can get individual ones done so they're not as heavy on your eyelids.

fuckwittery Fri 26-Oct-12 22:57:00

if you have them done professionally be very careful. I had individual party lashes, meant to last a few days professionally. I nearly went for the ones that last 6 weeks. God they were AWFUL. The girl was good, i think she applied them fine, its just they were really thick ones, even though she said they were the shortest she had, and therefore most natural. They were individual but in thick clumps if that makes sense? It took me 4 hours to get them off by soaking my eyes in baby oil and I still ripped loads of my own eyelashes off (shudder). I hadn't taken account of what they were going to look like, given my own eyelashes are very sparse. After experimenting with ones you do yourself, it is clear only the most sparse fake ones (they are described as ultra natural) look anything but ridiculous on me. So don't commit to any professional ones until you've tried out fake ones you do yourself and know what you can get away with ! for a party fine, but I would go for ones where the thickness / density of the lashes are similar to your own, so they blend in more.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 26-Oct-12 22:59:01

Mac false ones all the way

mutny Sat 27-Oct-12 07:22:35

For one night I would recommend max lashes. But I would get a cheap pair and have a practice.
I hate putting them on so much that I wear lash extensions. They are individual and are much more natural than the party lashes. I have mine done every 3-5 weeks.

littlemissnormal Sat 27-Oct-12 07:30:05

I've always had good results from the girls aloud ones from eyelure. They're not expensive and I get about 5 wears from them. I find it easier to put on with my fingers rather than tweezers.

SuzySheepSmellsNice Sat 27-Oct-12 07:47:26

fuckwittery OMG yes, I had some gorgeous individual lashes applied professionally for my wedding day, they looked amazing, perfect etc etc, but fast forward 2 weeks to my hotel room in Hawai'i trying to get the little bastards off... Some had fallen off naturally in the night and my eyelashes were aching from the weight and glue, so I used the proper removal stuff and ended up losing at least half of my natural eyelashes too! And sobbing in the bathroom as it stings like a bitch sad

I swore I'd never do it again but they did look bloody amazing

fuckwittery Sat 27-Oct-12 08:57:06

Oh yes the weight of them! I couldn't wear my glasses either as they rubbed against the glass and dragged my eyelids down, just HAD to get the buggers off, awful to remove.

filetheflightoffancy Sat 27-Oct-12 13:33:00

I have tried quite a few different false eyelashes (I am talking more special occassions here rather than everyday wear) and always come back to the Sarah Harding Girls Aloud ones by Eyelure. They are not too long width ways so I dont have to chop loads off to get them to fit my eyes and they give a good 'made up' look without making you look like a total drag queen!

If you want slightly more natural ones for every day wear, then I cannot recommend the lash extensions highly enough. I got them done for my wedding and I just loved them. Yes they look a bit crap when there are only a few of them left on, but I guess if you want to avoid that then you can go for the infills every few weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now