Talk

Advanced search

Am I deluded to think I can be warm dry and stylish?

(23 Posts)
IslaValargeone Fri 26-Oct-12 16:21:38

I need a coat, it rains a lot where I live, so my dh suggested I look online at a company with initials NF as he has a coat from there which he is happy with.
From what I have seen however, I fear I will end up looking like the love child of The Pillsbury dough boy crossed with a duvet.
Please tell me someone that all is not lost?

lilachair Fri 26-Oct-12 16:42:32

Marking place. Under £100 would be lovely too.

VeritableSmorgasbord Fri 26-Oct-12 16:47:14

This thread returns every year.
One year, a couple of companies did make an effort to market good winter coats. I presume there wasn't any money in it because last year...same thread reappeared and nothing has changed in the shops.
I would like to call North Face, Berghaus, etc complete bastards. Stop assuming women are 5 foot two and skinny. Stop assuming Britain is warmish and hardly ever rains and nobody really cares if their coat is horrid and too short or makes them look enormous because the proportions only fit haggis-shaped people.
You companies are the only ones with the right materials and the expertise to put them together, please start making proper clothes with all that knowledge!

PippiL Fri 26-Oct-12 17:04:31

I tried on a load of north face coats last weekend, and they were all shiny, and cheap looking!

Snarf at pillsbury dough boy

Abzs Fri 26-Oct-12 17:48:45

We have several in from Sprayway this year (at my work), most of which I think are nicer than the usual TNF and Berghaus offerings. A little less ££ too, as they don't carry quite the same fashion brand power as TNF.

However, TNF do have a softer face fabric on some this year which is much nicer than they've had previously (see the P8 and Insulated Resolve) and I love my Triclimate that I got in the sales this spring.

A lot of TNF coats are boxy in cut. Try Mountain Hardwear or Merrell for a bit more shape.

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 26-Oct-12 17:56:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whatevertheweather Fri 26-Oct-12 18:02:18

I bought this a few weeks ago. It's lovely, super warm (a touch too warm atm!) and completely waterproof.

lilachair Fri 26-Oct-12 18:19:18

I've just ordered the Merrell Aubrey Oooh! I'm going to be warm!

I'll keep you posted grin

lilachair Fri 26-Oct-12 18:20:11

I liked the Peter Storm one, but I know from experience the belt would get on my nerves.

BrianButterfield Fri 26-Oct-12 18:26:07

Merrell Haven! Like the Aubrey but bum-covering.

hlipop Fri 26-Oct-12 18:31:34

also like the peter storm one but like the dark pink colour but now only available in size 16 =[

neuroticmumof3 Fri 26-Oct-12 20:25:34

According to nature shop women don't seem to need Merrell waterproof jackets - only men's are an option?

Kingsfold Fri 26-Oct-12 20:27:27

I have two Rohan coats, and love them both. I needed them to be comfortable and waterproof, and not make me feel like a Michelin man. They are so comfortable that I don't even realise I'm wearing them. They were v expensive (around £130-£180), but have been worn so much that it was more than justified.

Eglantyne Fri 26-Oct-12 20:34:59

I see your warm, dry and stylish, and I raise it to 'warm, dry, stylish and 6ft with long arms' ! This year I going with warm and stylish only.

DonaAna Fri 26-Oct-12 20:35:24

Look up Scandinavian coats - Ilse Jacobsen, Didriksen, Danefae, and there is a new Norwegian brand that does sleek winter rainwear too.

gracielooloo Fri 26-Oct-12 20:46:12

Was just about to start a thread about the Merrell Ellenwood! If anyone has one in the Heather Ink can you tell me if it's basically Navy please.

Sorry for hijack Isla! smile

mum2mummarkets Fri 26-Oct-12 22:03:58

Eglantyne I am 5 10 with Gibbon arms and Merrel Wakefield is your friend! The first coat in my life that doesn't have 3/4 sleeves! :-)

Elemental Fri 26-Oct-12 23:30:29

I got this a few weeks ago and it's lovely and warm. Water resistant as opposed to actually waterproof however. I think it looks better in the flesh than the photos, is a nice soft purple grey colour. Pah, I paid £20 more than this price though! www.blacks.co.uk/clothing/women/jackets-and-outershell/product/043178/Peter-Storm-Omens-Glacier-II-Parka.html?attribute=15578739

trixymalixy Sat 27-Oct-12 08:23:17

I want a warm, properly waterproof coat that doesn't look like I'm about to scale a mountain or walk the dog. I have a trench that is properly waterproof wind proof and seam sealed that just looks like a normal trench coat so I live in hope, but haven't found anything that is also warm enough.

PrincessSymbian Sat 27-Oct-12 08:29:03

I like London Fog as a brand, have a fab stylish raincoat from them. The only thing is, ironically enough, that I'm pretty sure they are an American based brand only.

Eglantyne Sat 27-Oct-12 08:32:36

Oooh, thank you Markets. Last year I compromised with those gloves with really long cuffs, to bridge the gap!

MouseyHousey Sat 27-Oct-12 16:01:41

Ive seen loads of nice ones online on Mango. Im trying to find a store near me to try them on!

xanthepants Sat 10-Nov-12 19:14:31

Hi everyone. Thanks for posting. I too have been looking for months to find waterproof, warm raincoat with a hood for pushing buggies on the school run.

In the end, I just ordered HELLY HANSEN WOMENS BELFAST JACKET - comes with or without insulation for those who don't want to be too warm. Lenght is mid thigh. It tapers in round the waist for a good shape and looks sporty and not too mumsy. I got navy blue which has white and red zip and red lining which you see round the neck and when the hood is down. Just arrived and I'm really pleased. I'm usually a size 8/10 5"4 and the size small fits perfectly. (saw black version which has dark berry coloured zips/details but that looked a bit drab).... There will be room underneath for a jumper if I want but not too baggy with just long sleeves underneath.

Dont know why anyone hasnt mentioned this one before. For london school run, this looks much more suitable than some of the others mentioned as not so bulky/hot/expensive. waterproof to 5000mm which I understand is fine for london rainy day but havent tried out yet.

Price is around £152 (I've seen it in John Lewis and Debenhams) but I managed to get on sale for £54 at 24Studio (never used this website before - a bit strange as they make u apply for credit with them but have read the fine print and you can pay full balance as soon as you receive item/invoice. I presume this means there wont be any credit charges but cant confirm yet. TAKE NOTE I certainly wouldnt continue with a credit agreement outstanding as the fees/charges would really hurt.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now