Talk

Advanced search

Red Lipstick

(12 Posts)
GhoulaPaloooooooooza Fri 26-Oct-12 15:08:31

I need to buy a nice, vibrant red lipstick. It's ostensibly for a Halloween party tomorrow night, but I would actually like to own a decent red lippy, even though I'll hardly ever wear it (I wear make up every day, but generally not lippy, much to my DM's disgust).

I don't want to go ridiculously expensive, if possible (given parlous state of finances) but it's probably going to be my only personal treat this month.

Any recommendations?

I am fairly pale skinned, with dark blonde (dyed) hair, green eyes. I have no idea what "tones" I suit.

ElectricMonk Fri 26-Oct-12 16:00:07

Barry M does some lovely red lipsticks for about £5 - you need to swatch them on your hand though, as the colours look very different in the tube.

No7 has a lovely true red for £9 in the Moisture Drench range, which would suit most people very well and has a lovely formula.

Alternatively, the MUA range at Superdrug contains one very nice true red for £1. It has decent lasting power but doesn't apply as evenly as the No7, so you need to be a little more careful when putting it on.

GhoulaPaloooooooooza Fri 26-Oct-12 16:00:14

Hopeful bump

GhoulaPaloooooooooza Fri 26-Oct-12 16:01:16

Oops sorry ElectricMonk my refresh didn't work. Thanks for your reply. Will check out No 7, I think I have a voucher

BeauNeidel Fri 26-Oct-12 16:03:23

Rimmel - the Kate ones - are supposed to be good. I have about 6 red lippies but they're all Mac so not really on the cheap side of things!

ElectricMonk Fri 26-Oct-12 16:05:39

You're welcome Ghoula - I just checked and the true red in the Moisture Drench range is called Siren. On me it's a very glossy, retro, "pin-up" colour, and very flattering as it makes my teeth look a lot whiter (no mean feat, since they're an odd ivory shade).

I don't recommend the Stay Perfect range, it doesn't last on me and is a bit too sheer and glittery to work in strong colours IMO.

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 16:05:48

Rimmel Kate Moss in shade number 01 (I forget the name) is pretty much a true red. It's well worth getting a lip liner too makes red lippy look so much better.

It is best to stick with a true red if you don't fancy a long and complex search - they genuinely suit all skintones whilst pink or orange based reds can look utterly awful if you put them on the wrong skin tone.

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 16:06:34

yy MAC is queen of reds - in an ideal world you'd just get Ruby Woo or Russian Red and be done with it.

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 16:07:55

This chart is very handy - here

GhoulaPaloooooooooza Fri 26-Oct-12 16:23:09

Ooh you're brill, thanks ladies. I'm going to have lovely red wrists from swatching all of those.

I like the sound of Siren, particularly the teeth whitening side effect!

Yes, I'd love a MAC Ruby woo but as I wear lippy so rarely I don't think I can justify it.

I still have a Paloma Picasso Mon Rouge that my Mum bought me when I was 15 (I'm 40 now!). It smells odd so I wouldn't wear it but I can't bear to part with it.

Thanks for the chart notMarlene, v helpful

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 16:41:09

Any true red will be tooth whitening TBH. It's imperative that you test the top contenders on your lip too - can look totally different than on the wrist.

notMarlene Fri 26-Oct-12 16:43:16

(because a real true red is blue based)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now