Talk

Advanced search

Help me find somewhere to shop

(8 Posts)
noseynoonoo Fri 26-Oct-12 11:58:09

I had a bit of a wardrobe sort out and have chucked out a lot of clothes due to me getting too fat them shrinking or having holes in.

I am now left with very few tops - mostly white t-shirts. I went out shopping for tops yesterday but couldn't find a shop/brand that suited me. Clothes either seemed to be so dowdy that even my mum would protest or were poorly made and frankly a bit try-hard.

I am 40 yrs old. I am 5'8", size 14. I have a bit of gut. I am looking for stylish clothes. I don't want to look middle-aged. I suppose the image I am trying to achieve is well-presented but I'd also like people to say ,"Ooh where did you get that, it's gorgeous?"

I'm prepared to buy online if I can return for free if they are no good.

Any ideas? Please ??

Gillybobs Fri 26-Oct-12 12:20:36

I like Mint Velvet for tops and knitwear, also get the odd thing from Great Plains, Whistles and Kew159.

germyrabbit Fri 26-Oct-12 12:29:06

zara, french connection, mango?

noseynoonoo Fri 26-Oct-12 12:36:26

Thank you so far. I think Whistles is probably a bit pricey for me and Kew159 is closed now I think.

I went into Zara yesterday for the first time since about 2003 (when I got stuck in a dress). I found that a lot of the clothes appeared to be falling apart (how old do I sound) - and I don't enjoy shopping enough to want to replace clothes frequently. I did wonder where all the lovely Zara clothes that celebritries wear might be.

I had an impression that Great Plains was a bit dowdy but have just checked out their website and there are quite a few things in there that seem rather nice so I have ordered a catalogue - thank you for the tip smile

Annianni Fri 26-Oct-12 12:48:37

You're an inch taller than me, but otherwise the same.

At the moment, (sahm) I shop in gap, French connection, reiss, white company, odd bits from m&s (limited and autograph) and odd bits from Zara.

I used to shop in selfridges and flannels but i've got too many children now grin

noseynoonoo Fri 26-Oct-12 12:59:50

Annianni - have just realised I added and inch - I am actually 5'7"!

Had forgotten about Reiss. I used to love that shop. Must check it out. I too take a look occassionally at the M&S Limited or Autograph - NOT Per Una!!!

Annianni Fri 26-Oct-12 13:11:05

Never per una.. my mother shops there hmm

I did get a couple of things from jaeger last year. They do a boutique range that's not frumpy.

nipersvest Fri 26-Oct-12 13:45:50

my new favorite place to shop is tk maxx. i know it can look a bit of a jumble sale in there, but they do have some nice clothes and most are real bargains. it also depends on which branch you go to, i've found some are better stocked than others, eg peterborough - good, corby - not so good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now