Talk

Advanced search

Dress code: Soho chic - What the hell do I wear?

(14 Posts)
happyhorse Fri 26-Oct-12 11:20:05

I have an invite to a birthday party in a couple of months at a poncey bar in London and the dress code says 'Soho chic'. Now, I'm pretty sure I don't have anything in my wardrobe that falls under this heading and I really don't want to feel like some drab 'mum from the burbs' amongst all the trendy young things.

I can't really spend more than about £50 and I'd want something that I could wear more often than once in a blue moon. I'm 36, 5'3, size 10 and a bit hourglassy if that helps.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

TravelinColour Fri 26-Oct-12 12:37:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Fri 26-Oct-12 13:07:04

Is that Soho the sex district or Soho the graphic designer and media facilities hotbed? I think you should check with your friend to avoid a faux pas wink

Trills Fri 26-Oct-12 13:10:48

Oh yes those coated jeans that look a bit leathery - but only if you have good legs!

FauxFox Fri 26-Oct-12 13:52:52

In that situation I would wear black. Black cigarette trousers, black slouchy vest top, black stilettos and then a massive bit of statement jewellery - ring, necklace, cuff or earrings (only one) something like this or this
Get your hair professionally blow dried too smile

MaureenCognito Fri 26-Oct-12 14:03:52

lol at one earring. its tears for fears all over

happyhorse Fri 26-Oct-12 14:06:12

Thanks all. Now I have a definite look in mind that I can work with. A good tip about the hair too.

Fanny I'll check that out - if it's the sex district I can just snip the tassels off my MILs curtain tie backs and wear them grin

squeaver Fri 26-Oct-12 14:10:12

That's such a bollocks dress code. Everyone who goes out in Soho goes straight from work.

However....yes to skinnies/smart jeans plus good top/blazer/jacket. Heels for sure.

FauxFox Fri 26-Oct-12 15:56:04

Not one earring maureen you loon one item from the jewellery list! confused

janey1234 Fri 26-Oct-12 16:07:35

grin at the one earring thing! Love that first ring....

MaureenCognito Fri 26-Oct-12 16:10:02

lol
i did think PLus ca change!

FauxFox Fri 26-Oct-12 16:25:08

grin

UterusUterusGhouli Fri 26-Oct-12 16:36:18

That is such a try-hard dress code!

Surely the very chic of Soho wouldn't acknowledge the fact they are, in fact, wearing a poncey uniform.

MerylStrop Fri 26-Oct-12 16:38:20

soho chic = any old shit, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now