Talk

Advanced search

Nail biter

(8 Posts)

Hello lovely S&B ladies (and men?)

Hoep you can help.

How do I stop biting my nails? I used to wear Stop and Grow but have become immune to the taste.

I love having Biosculpture nails on but I can't afford it anymore to have it done regularly.

Any tips gratefully received!

Sleepthief Wed 24-Oct-12 21:16:40

I'll be watching hopefully, because 38 years in I'm a biter (although it's the skin rather than the nails I tend to go for now). Biters anonymous, anyone?

redlac Wed 24-Oct-12 21:22:54

Nails and skin biter here and wish I could stop. Watching with interest

Gimblinginthewabe Wed 24-Oct-12 21:23:24

you can buy a diy acrylic nails kit in asda, they aren't as good as professional ones, but good enough and will keep you from biting.

Jackstini Fri 26-Oct-12 04:47:24

Buy a DIY gel polish kit. V hard to bite through and your nails will look good whilst growing.
It is a bit of an outlay but you will get 20 manicures out of the kit. Then you have the lamp and just have to buy polish in future
here

koala25 Fri 26-Oct-12 11:29:47

I also was a biter for several years (more than 10), and now I managed to stop (it's been over a year smile ). Here's how I did it. First I had some gel nails and had them for more than 2 weeks. Then, when I got some nails of my own, I started to ALWAYS paint them with brightful colors. Everytime I felt like biting them, I looked at those bright colors and it reminded me not to do it. But my nails always have to be painted (even today)! Well, it works for me! smile

LulaPalooza Fri 26-Oct-12 13:23:42

Exactly wot koala said

I bit my nails until I was 37 (August 2009). Got so fed up with them that I had gel nails put on. Had them removed after 3 weeks and my nails had grown underneath, so I had a manicure to make my hands and nails look lovely, then have polished them pretty much every single day. I still occasionally nibble the cuticles but not the nails.

The only problem is that I am now a total nail polish addict!

I find that my nails are quite brittle and break easily so I still find it difficult to keep them all the same length. I had gels and tips put on 3 weeks ago for a special occasion as my nails had all broken off and I wanted long talons (painted black with bright red tips. Chavgothtastic!)

Unfortunately they break right at the nail bed, because I used to bite them so short.

Am having the gels taken off today because my nails have gown loads! very excited to have long nails back.

Oh, and I have also been taking the Boots own brand of Perfectil skin, hair and nails supplements, which has helped. I also use Sally Hansen Miracle Growth as a base coat.

Gimblinginthewabe Sat 27-Oct-12 18:46:26

I have very weak brittle nails and have found the best way to get super strong nails is to eat a couple of squares of jelly every day. You notice the difference about 3 months later. I always start it then give up then 3 months later get really strong nails for about a week then wish I hadn't stopped!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now