Talk

Advanced search

My skin has gone nuts - help!

(9 Posts)
fridgepants Wed 24-Oct-12 12:32:42

I have been through stress recently - had to undergo a termination - and I don't know if it's the stress, the carb-rich diet I seem to be eating as I'm too drained/tired to cook, or the hormones that's sending my skin bonkers. I keep getting these big lumpy spots which don't go away until I squeeze the gunk out, and my skin otherwise looks tired and scaly.

What should I be using? And is an eye cream worth getting to see if it can make me look less tired, or is my friend right in saying they're a 'manufactured product'?

SugariceAndScary Wed 24-Oct-12 12:44:09

Sorry to read about your termination, you must be under a lot of stress.

First thing I would suggest is up your water intake, I think it does make a difference to skin health.

Buy a nourishing cleansing balm or facial oil, they're kinder and won't strip your skin, Boots Botanical is a nice one.

Darphin do a nice range for sensitive skin called Intral which is expensive but fab.

If you like reading blogs Caroline Hirons is brilliant to follow and has loads on her site about troublesome skin, particularly cystic spots like the ones you describe.

I also knock back fish oil like nobodies business and swear by them.

sweetheart Wed 24-Oct-12 12:45:27

I've never found an eye cream that works yet - you'd be better off eating a better diet and drinking lots of water to bring the sparkle back to your eyes. Skin wise I find a cream cleanser used with a cloth or muslin is very effective for clearing the skin. I also find that my skin is better when I do exercise - I think it's the sweating that clears the poures out. I also find that exercising helps me clear my head when I'm feeling stressed out or frustrated.

shoeprincess2 Wed 24-Oct-12 12:50:12

I recommend a hot cloth cleanser- try Superdrug's Vitamin E hot cloth cleanser. Absolute bargain (£5.99, I think) and it has sorted out my ropey skin fantastically. I have yet to find an eye cream that does anything to make me look less tired. I think it was Linda Evangelista who used an ice cube wrapped in a muslin to de-puff the eyes. Worth a go. YY to a diet rich in fruit, veg and water and definitely give the fish oils a go. They're excellent for sorting you out inside and out. Hope you are ok. S x

fridgepants Wed 24-Oct-12 15:33:51

Thanks all - I was going to start running this week but I fell over and did my knee in, so I'm going to have to wait for it to heal up.

I was wondering if sugar was making a difference - DP#s back used to be quite spotty, but it's cleared up since he started eating less chocolate. I have been oil cleansing but I wasn't sure whether that was exacerbating the problem...

SugariceAndScary Wed 24-Oct-12 16:27:29

Oh yes bin the sugar definitely and anything white; pasta,bread, rice, I'm sure you'll see a difference within 6 weeks. Salmon is also great for skin alongside the fish oils.

Also, buy a good moisturiser, you still need it despite the spots.

Read Caroline's blog, she's brilliant.

clippityclop Wed 24-Oct-12 16:40:58

Attack from the inside - drink loads of water, herbal tea etc and cut out refined sugar and wheat, eat loads of fruit and veg. I was going to suggest Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser but having read Shoeprincess's post re Superdrug I'm tempted to give that a go myself. Get a good multi vitamin too. Good luck with everything. And resist the urge to pick and squeeze, but if you can't slap on a good anti-bacterial/antiseptic like Bruledine (sp?)

shoeprincess2 Wed 24-Oct-12 17:08:34

clippityclop- definitely give the Superdrug hot cloth cleanser a go. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

sweetheart Thu 25-Oct-12 10:04:03

I use the sanctuary hot cloth cleanser - it's not as cheap as the superdrug one so might give that a try myself but it is cheaper than liz earl so another option for anyone wanting to try a different / cheaper alternative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now