Talk

Advanced search

I need help with a Christmas party dress

(21 Posts)
yellowbottle Tue 23-Oct-12 15:29:50

I am shockingly difficult to dress and have stated a new career this year. The Christmas party is being spoken about and it fills me with dread.

The problems. Apple shape, short 5ft2, plump size 14. Big boobs that are messy looking rather than anything else. Arms I,'d rather cover. I

I have nice high platform wedge shoes that would look nice with black opaque tights if that is any help. ....

yellowbottle Tue 23-Oct-12 15:36:30

Oh, should add, I have an awful mummy tummy that makes me look like I'm 6 months pregnant though it's been nearly 3 years since I have been so empire lines are totally out.

wizzler Tue 23-Oct-12 17:37:31

Marking my place on this thread.... I have a similar dilemma and am a similar shape ( just don't have the wedges!)

notMarlene Tue 23-Oct-12 18:34:28

What sort of budget are you on? Oh, and whats your colouring?

CaroleService Tue 23-Oct-12 18:58:57

Sounds to me as if you should start with a Really Good Bra. Rigby and Peller or similar.

Everything else will then fall into place.

yellowbottle Tue 23-Oct-12 19:41:48

Budgetwise I'm not committed to anything. I don't have much of a social life, this dress will probably get one, maybe two run outs over the festive season so I'm not really looking to blow the bank on it. I have dark hair, fair skin, hazel eyes. I haven't had my colours done or anything like that, I tend to wear black....a lot......at these sorts of functions.

I have been fitted for bras and have a number of expensive good ones. The norkage is more of an issue in that a lot of dresses are built for people with smaller boobs which makes sizing an issue.

notMarlene Tue 23-Oct-12 19:58:40

Good to hear you have a proper bra - foundation is key as my gran always said! Do you have spanx?

LBD from bravissmo? What colour are your wedges? Red / bright shoes are always a good way to add a wow factor IMHO.

notMarlene Tue 23-Oct-12 20:01:12

Or, if you dare wear red lippy then all black, statement jewelery and fab hair is always a winner.

WipsGlitter Tue 23-Oct-12 20:04:55

dress

I saw this today and it looks great. Am going to try it on tomorrow.

yellowbottle Tue 23-Oct-12 20:08:28

Wedges are black, but I'm not stuck to them. I like the dress, I think it might be a bit long for a short arse like me though, it falls below the model's knee which would make it mid calf on me. I like the ruched (sp?) detail on it though, that tends to work well on me.

Teeb Tue 23-Oct-12 20:11:02

I've had my eye on this for a while now. I know it might look a bit officey, but I think it's something that can be dressed up very well with some nice jewellery and a trusty pair of spanx it will look very smart.

Celticlassie Tue 23-Oct-12 20:11:13

This? Not sure what it'll do tummy-wise mind you, but in my experience, this style is sometimes better than it looks.

yellowbottle Tue 23-Oct-12 20:20:08

I'm not mad about the rust colour, I don't think I am brave enough to move from black it would suit me.this one caught my eye....

wizzler Thu 25-Oct-12 21:58:57

Does anyone have any experience of the Very Pretty Dress company... I like the necklines they have... I think V Neck more flattering for us well upholstered types ?

Thinking of ordering one from there...
www.theprettydresscompany.com/fashion/The-Hourglass-Dress-Black-Hourglass-Vintage-Wiggle-Pencil-Dress.html

Curtsey Thu 25-Oct-12 22:03:25

Celtic, I have that dress and tummy-wise one needs to be on one's best behaviour. It looks like it skims but it doesn't really.

tethersend Thu 25-Oct-12 22:29:59

Since you said budget was flexible...

Cavalli

Vivienne Westwood

Maline Birger

Westwood again

Cos

Cavalli again

And again!

tethersend Thu 25-Oct-12 22:43:17

Wallis

MaureenCognito Thu 25-Oct-12 22:46:42

When is it? I'd go on a diet meself

If you can afford Westwood, deffo worth a try - v tummy flattering and built for big boobs.

Not seen in real life but I really like the look of it

Dollydowser Thu 25-Oct-12 22:54:48

Get thee to Bravissimo for a bra fitting, that will put a stop to messy boobs. Then try on all their dresses, one is bound to look the business.

yellowbottle Fri 26-Oct-12 15:45:44

Not a chance am I going on a diet. It's one night, people who I work with. They wouldn't be one bit impressed with how thin I suddenly have become , I haven't been working there long enough for anyone to notice. Just after a nice frock that'll hold me in in all the right places.
I'm surprised that I would be able to get some Westwood for around the 300 mark, I thought it would be a lot more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now