Talk

Advanced search

Practical winter coat debate - could I have your opinions, please?

(24 Posts)
oneofthegiantsisme Tue 23-Oct-12 12:19:20

Ok, I'm not a regular on the style boards, but even I've gathered that Per Una are not approved Mumsnet wear.

However, I saw this in M&S yesterday, and was really quite taken with it.

Would I look like a granny in it, do you reckon? Most of the reviewers on the website list their age as 65+, which worries me a little!

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 23-Oct-12 12:21:43

It's quite bad. Sorry sad

They have got some nicer ones in a similar style though.

Plopsicle Tue 23-Oct-12 12:23:24

Noooooo its terrible don't do it!

carrie74 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:24:13

Sorry, not good. However, M&S online photographers are notoriously hideous, so if in the flesh it looked ok, then go for it.

oneofthegiantsisme Tue 23-Oct-12 12:25:55

OK, I'll keep looking then. Which were the nicer ones, EdsRedeemingQualities?

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 23-Oct-12 13:16:06

If you click on a couple of the ones at the bottom of your page - there's a nice burgundy parka with a detachable hood. That one looks a bit younger iykwim - and look at the write up too, if M&S are using the words 'cosy' and 'comfy' you know it's for oldies.

'fashionable' means it might just be Ok for someone mid thirties or forties grin

Tuttutitlookslikerain Tue 23-Oct-12 13:18:34

That's horrible sorry.

I am lucky enough to live near the Landsend factory shop,so I have got a down filled one from there. It is so snuggly and warm!

BunnyLeBOOwski Tue 23-Oct-12 13:28:31

ARRGH!

< runs away screaming >

shattereddreams Tue 23-Oct-12 13:30:18

I was going to say NO WAY but I was beaten to it.

dreamingofsun Tue 23-Oct-12 13:45:35

have you looked at lands end? they have 30% off coats today. Lands end look more 'ready for outdoors stuff' whereas that one just looks 'old lady'. quite a lot in the sale as well - so cheaper than that M&S one

oneofthegiantsisme Tue 23-Oct-12 14:55:09

Thanks for the tip about Lands End sale (I've tried to join their mailing list, but for some reason they don't send me emails except when I order stuff). I've been coveting a Stadium Squall for several years, but don't like this year's colours sad.

So how about this one - is that better than the M&S one?

You can tell I'm still new to this style business - doing my best, but not really getting it right yet!

Woozley Tue 23-Oct-12 14:58:11

This one is nicer I think Parka

More up to date.

oneofthegiantsisme Tue 23-Oct-12 15:22:32

I like the style of that one, but not sure how waterproof it is for the school run (and I couldn't wear that colour).

dreamingofsun Tue 23-Oct-12 15:51:11

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Jackets-Coats/5790,en_GB,sc.html&sz=all&endless=true

have a look in the outlet section as they are much cheaper. down ones don't tend to be that waterproof.

what about this type of thing. don't forget to add the discount code

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Women%27s-Squall-Parka/P_22619,en_GB,pd.html?cgid=5790

Tuttutitlookslikerain Tue 23-Oct-12 17:36:55

That blue of that diamond down one is very pale. I saw it in the shop last winter and thought it would always be dirty. I didn't like the fur either.

I bought a red one, so I look like a big tomato, but I don't care at least I am warm and the cars can see me on a day like today!

Tuttutitlookslikerain Tue 23-Oct-12 17:39:44

Mine is this one but red!

LindyHemming Tue 23-Oct-12 18:00:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Woozley Tue 23-Oct-12 18:34:33

The one I linked to comes in 5 colours. I don't think it's made for a great downpour, but would be fine in a shower of rain or snow. I don't just have one winter coat though, I wear one downy one when it's really cold but not wet, and if it's very wet and cold I wear a walking jacket with a zip in fleece, if it's not that cold I take the fleece out. Am thinking of getting one of those Lands' End ones though as it would do for most occasions I think.

Woozley Tue 23-Oct-12 18:37:25

There is also this one: Shimmer Down Coat More water/snow repellant apparently.

Springhasarrived Tue 23-Oct-12 20:26:01

I've got last years version of the Landsen Down Commuter Coat. I bought it in July in their sale for £60. Its incredibly well made and warm. Its ideal for standing on stations on a freezing cold morning and looking appropriate and not as though you should be in St Moritz but I wouldnt say it is in any way stylish. I wouldnt have paid £160 for it for that reason. You have to love it at that price.

MrsWolowitz Tue 23-Oct-12 20:31:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

izzysmydog Tue 23-Oct-12 20:54:45

Definitely granny wear!

Dollydowser Tue 23-Oct-12 21:19:50

I ordered the diamond down coat, looked hideous on me (short and round).

TeaTeaLotsOfTea Tue 23-Oct-12 21:26:31

I just showed DS he thought it was for me.

He just said mum you're 33 not 63.

Are you 63 OP? If not avoid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now