Talk

Advanced search

Informal 'chat' - does this outfit sound OK?

(11 Posts)
MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Oct-12 15:05:20

This top. In or out. I'm fairly curvy!
Fitted grey skirt, not dissimilar to the red one in the pic (no front slit and a bit more worky, less fancy.)
Smart brown flat boots.
Grey smart scarf (felt a bit gappy round the neck.)

I've been home with the DCs for six years. I am very very nervous.

Will pop back later - DSs have swimming after school today.

TIA S&B ladies. <nervous> smile

cazza40 Mon 22-Oct-12 15:22:24

Its ok not great - sorry that doesnt answer your question though. Is it for a mini interview ? For what kind of job ? I need more context ...

ll31 Mon 22-Oct-12 15:22:43

sounds fine to me ! good luck

Themilkybarisonme Mon 22-Oct-12 16:16:31

What's the context? I like it

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Oct-12 17:23:09

It's a support teacher job for students with low literacy levels. The school is a smart, businessy sort. The head's PA was very clear that it was not an interview though. I'd almost prefer it to be an interview so the rules were clear, iykwim? I'd like it to be smart, but not too official looking, and not too shouty. Sorry for the drip feed!

And I have one day to go so if it's a S&B thumbs down I have time to remedy the situation. grin

Thanks you three. smile

cazza40 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:12:08

You will look great - wasn't sure because it was collarless but the scarf will complete the look - best of luck and don't be nervous

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Oct-12 18:18:23

Thanks cazza - feeling confident about how you look is always a good start! First impressions and all. I'll just have to remember not to get dressed too early; dog'll probably give me a great big loving slobber as I leave or something!

Tutoringmummy Mon 22-Oct-12 18:31:05

Is it a teaching job- or a teaching assistant job? ie do you have to have QTS?

If it's a teaching job then the school may have a business dress code and you should adhere to that- better to be over than underdressed for interviews.

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Oct-12 19:08:16

A teaching job (with QTS) but under the SN department. And all very small group work so slightly... gentler. It's their strong emphasis on informal that's foxing me; if it were a straight interview I'd just buy a suit! You are right though, over is better than under in these situations, I'm sure.

LeChatRouge Mon 22-Oct-12 19:47:05

First of all, good for you for getting to the 'informal chat' stage, they obviously really like you. Secondly, if you are feeling understandably nervous, then any extra confidence from your outfit will help.
When you try your outfit on, do you feel good? Like you deserve the job?

My one suggestion would be a blazer of some type, doesn't have to match. People wear these all the time these days, not just in a smart worky way, I think this would look good with the shirt and scarf. How dark are your boots? Am not entirely sure about brown boots/grey skirt combo.

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Oct-12 21:54:21

Thanks! It's such an strange feeling - super nervous but also oddly relaxed about it. I think having the DCs has made me realise what really matters for me; all I ever really wanted to be was a mum and now that's me, everything else is a lovely extra. <Boak> grin

Sorry, I digress. The boots are a very dark tan and while I'm not entirely sure they go, they are darn comfortable and smart so they'll have to do. I think... if I see a nice black skirt on my travels tomorrow I might try it on though. And the blazer is a good idea - you feel a bit less exposed than just a blouse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now