Talk

Advanced search

Skinny jeans and knee high booys

(21 Posts)
ChablisLover Sun 21-Oct-12 16:28:00

Fashionable or mumsy?

Basically dh and I are having a discussion about this and I would like to know what the s&b ladies think.

I saw its had its day and the way to go are ankle boots but dh says no - everyone still wearing them so still fashionable

I don't mind knee high boots with dresses or skirts just not with skinny jeans tucked in

All opinions welcomed

gregssausageroll Sun 21-Oct-12 16:34:53

I don't mind them with skinnies but I don't like knee high boots with a high heel and skinnies.

JuliaFlyte Sun 21-Oct-12 16:38:08

Definately mumsy. Ankle boots are the way to go with jeans.

I have noticed this recently, at school and out shopping, 70% of women with small children wear skinnies with knee high boots, tunic and scarf.

I think tall boots with dresses are fine, but not jeans.

miche8 Sun 21-Oct-12 16:38:28

i think its 'on trend' to wear ankle boots but i still think skinny jeans in tall flat boots is a classic look that will never go away, if the boots have heels then it depends on the style. I look better and slimmer when i wear tall boots. I have seen a nice pair in aldo but cant find them online.

perplexedpirate Sun 21-Oct-12 16:41:33

Very dated now IMO. Ankle boots definitely the way to go.

maybenow Sun 21-Oct-12 16:46:47

Depends what you mean by 'fashionable' - knee highs with skinny jeans maybe still 'popular' but not what they call 'on trend'...

Personally i don't give a damn what's on trend - i wear ankle boots with skinnies and i wear high boots if the weather is bad or to something like the rugby where i get cold..

And i'll never wear ankle boots with a dress no matter how 'on trend' it is - only suits those over 6' imo.

MaBaya Sun 21-Oct-12 17:01:56

Knee high boots can work well if they are nice! Ankle boots can look scruffy or a bit cheap...and totally wrng on those f larger calf.

it all depends on the actual boot., imho.

Frontpaw Sun 21-Oct-12 17:07:19

I do - but haven't been fashionable since 1987, and don't really care. Beats a shell suit imho.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sun 21-Oct-12 17:14:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder Sun 21-Oct-12 17:15:57

I wear both but love my really tight skinnies with knee high boots and jumper.

noddyholder Sun 21-Oct-12 17:17:00

Ankle boots have been in for several years though so I think now anything goes. Ankle boots are worn by more people atm but that will result in overkill v soon!

WillPenn Sun 21-Oct-12 20:16:16

I'm sticking with the knee highs simply because my legs look longer and skinnier with them as opposed to ankle boots, which tend to emphasize my chunky calves in a not very flattering way. I'd rather dress to flatter my figure than be on-trend and looking like a right minger.

ChablisLover Sun 21-Oct-12 21:00:05

Thanks all

I think I'm specifically talking about heeled boots (as I've my ugg kensingtons to wear this winter!)

I think it's because I remember wearing boots and skinnies well before 5yo ds was born that I think it's a bit old now

Also, a lot of mummies wear them when I do the school run and it really isn't a look for me that says young anymore as I've seen it done so many times and with so many wrong boots ad jeans

I agree it's personal taste but its not for me anymore but it does depend on the boot and the person. If anyone wants to loan me some money I'm sure jimmy choo has a pair which will look fabulous!

I like high knee highs with skirts and dresses just not tucked in with skinnies

Dh argues otherwise that I am not fashionable or with it as I don't like it and he sees so many people wearing it so will weather this latest fashion storm (dh is also good on giving childcare advice pity about actually putting it into practice) and continue to wear my ankle boots (mum boots!) until it gets colder then the uggs are out.

Cherrypie32 Sun 21-Oct-12 22:07:49

I actually read this as 'knee high boys' and was about to reply I think skinny jeans are too fashionable for toddlers grin

ChablisLover Sun 21-Oct-12 23:09:38

My bad spelling and thunder thumbs on phone.

My ds loves his skinny jeans but his legs looks really long and skinny!

Wheresmypopcorn Mon 22-Oct-12 00:57:14

I think they look nice. The boots must be nice though.

PerryCombover Mon 22-Oct-12 01:24:11

Never uggs

CambridgeBlue Mon 22-Oct-12 09:01:57

I think it's a fairly classic look (although it has definitely become a kind of mummy uniform) but that may be because I'm bitter about having finally lost enough weight to get my chubby legs into knee high boots and now everyone's saying they're over!

Pugless Mon 22-Oct-12 14:06:29

Knee high boots with a heel always remind me of shirley from eastenders grin

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 22-Oct-12 14:15:07

Mummsy - shcmummsy don't care too much in the village where I live - I cannot pretend to be a fasionable young thing when I have three children and am nearing 40. If I go out in London for the night then I try and look a bit more clued up. But wearing what suits my extra curvy fat arse figure and colouring is more important than if Kate Moss was pictured wearing this particular cut of trouser while shopping in Notting Hill.

Loook at a current issue of vogue for fasion advice is my advice - why ask Mumsy net? wink

ChablisLover Mon 22-Oct-12 16:42:20

Bigmouth- good points

I know what suits me but just have always not liked that look

I try for classic looks but at times i try and give a nod to fashion be it a top or shoes etc

What looks good on supermodels don't look good on me nor does different hair colours or make up after this long I know what suits me best and I dress accordingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now