Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Charity shop donations - dry clean first?

(11 Posts)
pootle123 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:35:31

I'm planning to clear out my wardrobe tomorrow and donate some suits. Just wondering what the etiquette is on donating dry clean only stuff. Should I clean it first? Please say no as it'll cost me a fortune blush

Hopefully Sun 21-Oct-12 10:40:29

If you send dirty stuff and they don't think they can get enough for it, it will just go straight in the rag pile/bin, so the best thing to do would be to dry clean it. Sorry.

bishboschone Sun 21-Oct-12 10:40:34

No .. Don't do it . It will cost you a fortune ( I'm a dry cleaner !!) ... My sister is a manager of a C.R shop . She wouldn't expect it . Hth

mellen Sun 21-Oct-12 10:43:17

A lot of dry clean only things can be safely machine washed anyway, unless there is something very special about the fabric I would machine wash them on the gentlest setting.

pootle123 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:43:43

Thank you for your replies! I guess the new owner can fork out for the cleaning grin

pootle123 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:47:19

Mellen I'll do that for all the non suity stuff. Thanks.

Trills Sun 21-Oct-12 11:02:36

Hand wash setting in the washing machine.

If it gets ruined, so what, you were getting rid of it anyway.

Obviously the best thing for the charity would be to have them cleaned nicely but I can't imagine anyone would actually do that.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sun 21-Oct-12 12:18:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeachTown Sun 21-Oct-12 12:48:50

Don't bother. Surely anyone buying clothes from a charity shop washes or dry cleans it before wearing it themselves anyway!

pootle123 Sun 21-Oct-12 16:48:15

Thank you for all your replies. No excuse now for not having a good old clear out grin Might even tackle some of the handwash stuff at the bottom of my the linen basket that's been there since the summer 2011

WasLostNowAmFound Sun 21-Oct-12 20:46:58

Please consider this organisation, www.dressforsuccess.org/supportdfs_donate_clothing.aspx, OP (or similar) if you are donating suits suitable for interviews/work...and I'd also machine wash, most 'dco' clothes are fine in the machine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now