Talk

Advanced search

Post partum hair loss. Dear God someone help!!!

(8 Posts)
maldivemoment Sat 20-Oct-12 21:24:59

Had this with first baby 3 years ago and it's now happening again. Baby 4 months old and I seem to be shedding hair at an alarming rate. I know what to expect this time around so it's a little less frightening but still very upsetting!

I understand that when pregnant you don't shed hair and that my body is now making up for those 9 months of having fabulous locks but can anyone give me any tips re diet/vitamins which may help? For what it's worth my diet is fairly healthy and I'm breastfeeding so still taking pregnancy vitamins.

Please hold my hand!

VitoCorleone Sat 20-Oct-12 21:30:58

Im having the same problem. After 1st baby it wasnt so bad, after nd its coming out in handfulls every day, im so paranoid that prople will notice that my hair is getting thinner than thinner. My hairdresser said it was coming out loads,told me to get a good multi-vitamin

I bought Seven Seas multivitamins with Iron and Seven Seas pure codliver oil capsules.

I can notice a slight difference, hope it stops soon my baby is nearly 7 month now

VitoCorleone Sat 20-Oct-12 21:31:28

*2nd

tabbycat15 Sun 21-Oct-12 04:38:36

My happened for a few months after ds. When my dd was 4 mths it happened much worse. She is 10 now & it's never stopped. I had another baby after dd but my hair was just the same.

I saw a trichologist & initially they said it was chronic telogen effluvium. Usually after a year it stabilises. Mine didn't. A few years after I had scalp biopsies done & they diagnosed Androgenic Alopecia. I've had hormone tests done & tried the Yasmin, Yaz pill & Spironalactone. I had to stop due to bad side effects so I've just had to live with it.

I've got clip in hair extensions that I use around the front & I have had to have it cut in a shorter bob. Mt hair is naturally curly but I can't leave it curly & have to dry it straight to liik decent.

I don't think there is a miracle cure. Silica is supposed to help hair growth & maybe a skin hair & nails Vit might help but if the hair is falling out all over it might only help strengthen any new hair growing back.

Beaverfeaver Sun 21-Oct-12 05:35:22

I have picked multi vitamins with Biotin in it (also in Berocca) and have started using Lee Stafford hair growth treatment and bought a tangle teaser hairbrush to use instead if my normal one. I have also stopped using my hair straighteners in case that wasn't helping either.

Fingers crossed it works!

cazza40 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:00:32

I had the same problem with my first dd - i found it really upsetting at the time and when i look at photos of me and her i cannot believe how much hair i lost i really was balding ! My hairdresser at the time recommended sea kelp tablets ( you can get them at Boots, Holland and Barratt etc) - they really did help and for Dd 2 i was already taking them and had no hair loss. Chin up ! It does get better and your hair will grow back just make sure you are having a balanced diet and taking vit supplements too

maldivemoment Sun 21-Oct-12 20:51:50

Thanks all.

cazza - can I take sea kelp supplements while breastfeeding? To be honest I will try absolutely anything in the faint hope that it makes even a slight improvement!

marleybrodie Sun 21-Oct-12 20:54:42

Try spatone for iron my hairdresser told me low iron/ferritin often worsens the shed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now