Talk

Advanced search

Red lipstick

(13 Posts)
QueenCadbury Sat 20-Oct-12 14:09:19

I'm really keen to try a red lipstick but being fair and pale I need to find the right shade. I'm planning a trip to either John Lewis or HOF to vist the make up counters as I'll need to try one properly so can't just buy a cheapie one. I usually get bobbi brown make up but they don't tend to do red colours.

I don't want to spend hours trying loads on so does anyone recommend a particular brand counter to visit?

I'm also fussy with lipsticks and don't like anything that I can taste...

SorrelForbes Sat 20-Oct-12 14:13:27

Watching this with interest as I bought a red lipstick from MAC earlier this week. It looked ok in the shop but when I looked in the mirror at home I thought it made me look old and washed out! I'm very pale but dark haired.

CockBollocks Sat 20-Oct-12 14:16:19

Chanel rouge allure, the reds I have from there are gorgeous.

SalmonRusty Sat 20-Oct-12 15:02:07

Bobbi Brown bought out some new reds a while ago, and there's meant to be one to suit everyone, so if you like their lipsticks I'd look there first! Mac reds are my favourite though - I'm very pale and cool-toned and love Mac Ruby Woo (bright true red) and Dubonnet (darker vampier red).

Another one that isn't too harsh on me is Clinique Cranberry Cream.

And Kate Moss for Rimmel lipstick in number 1 is great!

ElizaDoMore Sat 20-Oct-12 15:11:43

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable in Romantic is good.

DonaAna Sat 20-Oct-12 15:16:34

I just walked past the MAC shop and saw a lady who had stepped out of the store to snap a picture of the lipstick she was clearly trying on (there was a SA in tow). It was dark red, matte and did her absolutely no favors - made her look very pale and sallow. So be careful, and take along a friend whose taste and opinions you trust.

Strawhatpirate Sat 20-Oct-12 15:18:30

Mac russian red is naice for pale complections

BunnyLeBOOwski Sat 20-Oct-12 15:21:17

Another vote for Mac Ruby Woo.

My go to red lippy and I wear it most days.

Collection 2000 do one called Ruby Red which is almost the same but loads cheaper.

SalmonRusty Sat 20-Oct-12 15:22:24

DonaAna you're so right - taking a friend along is essential. My best lipsticks are always ones that someone else has chosen for me when I've been trying lots on - it's just really hard to tell yourself, and sales people are no help at all especially makeup salespeople.

misscomanche Sat 20-Oct-12 15:28:38

I'm also pale, and love Ruby Woo. It's a classic, matt red.

HyvaPaiva Sat 20-Oct-12 15:30:16

Chanel Rouge Allure Lover is a lovely vintage satin red. A must-have for me.

Chanel Rouge Coco in 19 Gabrielle is a bright, feisty red. It's flirty and fun.

Dior Creme de Gloss Rouge Nectar 845 (sadly discontinued) absolutely knocks your socks off. It's a rich femme fatale of a red. I'll be sad the day mine runs out!

QueenCadbury Sun 21-Oct-12 20:03:21

Thanks all. I'll head to mac and chanel. I'll be taking my mum with me so will definately get an honest opinion grin

VigourMortis Sun 21-Oct-12 20:08:27

I went into SpaceNK and they tried out reds for me. I got a Nars pencil - now I'm used to it I love it.

Sali Hughes recommends a Bobbi Brown one (Red Carpet).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now