Talk

Advanced search

shopping in New York...what to buy?

(16 Posts)
MoomieAndFreddie Sat 20-Oct-12 11:38:09

am going to New York soon woop woop

And am wondering if anyone can recommend the best places to shop, esp for designer bargains etc as am clueless, and what sort of things you can get from there that you can't get over here? and what are the best shops to go etc?
poor dh doesn't know what he's letting himself in for taking me there grin

pinotnoirprincess Sat 20-Oct-12 11:44:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mirpuppet Sat 20-Oct-12 15:25:23

Depends on how much shopping and what level of shopping you want to go for.

For example -- Levi's are far cheaper -- which makes my DH happy.

You can hit the department stores for bargains on name brand items like Uggs/ makeup -- Bloomies as mentioned above or Macy's.

Normal discount stores have various clothing but require digging -- Century 21/ Marshalls/ Burlington Coat Factory/ TJ Maxx.

Then there are the sample/stock sales and there are websites that will let you know what is on the week you are there.

For example:

ny.racked.com/
nymag.com/shopping/
samplesally.com/

PerryCombover Sat 20-Oct-12 15:44:55

Cover girl mascara lash blast. That's my first call before all other shopping

noviceoftheday Sat 20-Oct-12 16:08:27

Two places you have to go to before anywhere else .... Fielene's Basement and Century 21.... Designer stuff at prices that you wont believe. Century 21 is by Ground Zero and there are two Fielenes. I go to the one in Upper West Side. Depending when you're going, Black Friday is when the sales begin. Its like Boxing Day here. It's 23 November this year. Head to Macys. It's madness but soooo worth it!

HackneyCabbage Sat 20-Oct-12 18:32:12

kiehls products, so much cheaper over there more range bigger bottles and they always give you loads of samples. Look on kiehls US website before you go.

HackneyCabbage Sat 20-Oct-12 18:34:37

and depending on your taste anthropologie, they also have fab homeware. In fact kitchen shops and foodie shops like wholefoods and dean and deluca great too.

willybreeder Sat 20-Oct-12 19:08:17

For a beautiful shopping area to wander around with lots of lovely cafes go to Soho and West Village.

FayeKinitt Sat 20-Oct-12 19:57:35

Ooh, I'm going to be there on 23rd November novice thanks for the tip!

MaeMobley Sat 20-Oct-12 21:02:20

Buy this book: www.amazon.co.uk/Suzy-Gershmans-Born-Shop-York/dp/0470257148/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350763288&sr=1-1

noviceoftheday Sun 21-Oct-12 07:55:01

Happy shopping FayeKinitt! The crowds are like nothing you have ever seen here so you are warned!

I second the recommendation for Kiehls. It's on the Lower East Side (3rd between 13th and 14th) so kind of feels out of the way as there isnt anything else nearby but honestly, the prices and tons of free samples you get are amazing, unlike the 2/3 you might get given here.

Also, if you're petite or plus sized there is a floor at Lord & Taylors that's amazing. Thats much more central, 5th Avenue at 39th St.

Alexa12 Sun 21-Oct-12 08:59:36

Woodberry Common outlets are brilliant for designer bargains - but out of the city so you'd have to take a bus. Worth it IMO though smile

chipstick10 Sun 21-Oct-12 17:02:06

The bog standard chemists (drug store) are worth a look, carry alot of lines, make up and hair care products. Maceys isnt as upmarket as saks 5th ave and Bloomingdales.
If you want to go to Abbercrombie & Fitch head for the seaport branch rather than 5th ave.

hermioneweasley Sun 21-Oct-12 17:08:47

Levi's are much cheaper

I like j crew and black house/white house

I like Macy's for realistic prices unless you want top end designer stuff.

OhCobblers Sun 21-Oct-12 17:11:38

I second all the recommendations partic century 21 but remember that local Tax is added at he till and not included in the price like it is here. I always use to forget that!

OhCobblers Sun 21-Oct-12 17:12:03

the till

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now