Talk

Advanced search

How do you turn a slummy mummy into a yummy mummy?

(22 Posts)
bodo2 Fri 19-Oct-12 14:23:16

I am such a slummy mummy but would love to be yummy. Any tips to turn myself around? Has anyone in North London area successfully used a 'personal shopper' type person? Any recommendations? I have no fashion sense. I would love someone to come over, sort my wardrobe out, making me chuck out all my hideous clothes and shoes and help me replace it with some lovely clothes that actually suit me and fit me!

Mosman Fri 19-Oct-12 14:28:23

Shed loads of money helps

bishboschone Fri 19-Oct-12 14:32:23

You can get people to do that but it's expensive . I have done it for a few friends with success but I'm a bit far away .

bishboschone Fri 19-Oct-12 14:32:49

Have you got a stylish friend you could ask to helpl you?

bodo2 Fri 19-Oct-12 14:57:58

Not someone close enough to ask. It's also hard because lots of my friends are super skinny and aren't as good at finding clothes to suit someone with curves!

duvetheaven Fri 19-Oct-12 15:21:18

some of the fashion sites suggest whole outfits that go together? Or could ask the students at a local fashion college?

bodo2 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:31:12

Thank you... can you suggest some good websites to look at?

tricot39 Fri 19-Oct-12 16:48:14

I have booked a john lewis session this weekend so can tell you after tomorrow. It is free. You can book 1 hour or 2 hours. For a fee they can do a colour and style session. A few friends have been and raved about it. Have a search on the JL website for the different options.

bodo2 Fri 19-Oct-12 17:25:11

Thank you so much tricot39... I've just been online to organise an appointment for Brent Cross John Lewis! Let me know how it goes! x

loubielou31 Fri 19-Oct-12 18:11:01

If you want to overhaul your existing wardrobe then you can probably do it yourself. Take it out, try it on an be really critical, if you don't like it and/or it doesn't flatter you then send it to the charity shop. You'll then have a better idea of where the gaps are and what you need now. Most department stores offer a personal shopper service, if you want new stuff they're usually pretty good. It's a free service, you just pay for the clothes you buy.

TheSandstoneCat Fri 19-Oct-12 18:28:22

tricot please post a review of your John Lewis experience - I have booked an appointment for a few weeks time and can't wait for it smile

blue2 Fri 19-Oct-12 18:34:51

I've had my colours done and my style, too - but was still struggling to apply it to me...

I got a style consultant in who reappraised my wardrobe - we chucked a bit out (but not much) and she gave me some really good pointers. After that, she emailed me with a lot of suggestions and examples of what would look good.

All for £90. I think that was money well spent - and it gave me the confidence to go and try new stuff on

Hopefully Fri 19-Oct-12 19:53:45

Doing wardrobe decluttering stuff when someone's had colour and style done is a joy, as it is so easy to tell the client whether their stuff is good or not. Someone asked me to help them when they hadn't had it done and it was that bit harder (although far from impossible). I have a fairly clear process I work to, and it's less complex, I think, coming in and seeing someone's wardrobe 'cold' without all the emotional attachment we have to our own wardrobes (well, that normal people have. I am a ruthless chucker-outer).

I adore wardrobe decluttering, I am a complete capsule wardrobe/wardrobe for any occasion freak.

tricot39 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:12:18

i had msmy colours done my a colour-me-beautiful rep. brilliamMnt it was! it makes it so mmuch easier when you can analyse shop stock by colour and then just look at appropriate shades for their structure..

that said i still feel like a frump because all i have had time to do is grab clothes out of the supermarket for the last 4 years! but now i am on a mission to be yummy again too - well sort of.

my jl session is actually to get an interview outfit so i am going with a fairly defined brief. i will report back after tomorrow's session.

mirpuppet Sat 20-Oct-12 18:40:20

tricot39 -- how did it go today?

mirpuppet Sat 20-Oct-12 18:42:55

bodo2 -- if you have the money go for the professional stylist.

I love fashion and I have visited personal shoppers at department stores like John Lewis; Debenham's & House of Fraser. I enjoyed it for picking up new items.

I have also had an independent stylist come to my home and sort out my wardrobe make outfits -- advise on holes and I loved it.

Both approaches have their place.

MaureenCognito Sat 20-Oct-12 18:47:37

VOMIT at the term yummy mummy

tricot39 Sat 20-Oct-12 20:18:50

Well i would highly reccomend the jl personal styling session. 1hr is tight tho. luckily there was no appointment booked in after me so it went over.

basically after an initial chat about colour and shape, your shopper runs around ladieswear for you while you flick through a magazine or try on the stuff she has sourced. the shop was absolutely heaving so this was luxury!

beware - none of the bits were too pricey but i still managed to reach an eyewatering total at the till!

anyway amazingly amongst other stuff i have come home with a jacket that suits me in a fab.colour that i would never have picked for myself!

highly recommend!!

tricot39 Sat 20-Oct-12 20:19:16

woops - book 2 hours

bodo2 Sat 20-Oct-12 20:26:54

Thanks all, I really appreciate all your comments!

Thanks tricot39 for telling me about colour me beautiful - I'd not heard of them.

blue2 - £90 sounds reasonable! Was that in London by any chance?! xx

bodo2 Sat 20-Oct-12 20:58:02

tricot39 that sounds fab... so pleased it went well. Good luck for your interview x

blue2 Mon 22-Oct-12 09:08:34

Bodo
She's based near Farnham. Don't know if she'll travel, but is a Colour Me Beautiful Consultant. I told her that I'd had my colours done, and my style too (with a different lady) - but the styles were so frumpy and mother-in-law-ish, that I lost my way. I wanted her to check out my wardrobe and give me ideas as to how to update it.

I needed her to say - keep that, because with a pair of wedge heels, that'll look great - or 'bin it' as it's the right colour wrong shape etc. We didn't throw much away (and I wasn't surprised at the bits that went, either!)

Since then, she's emailed me several times with ideas for things that I can buy, and given me the name of a local seamstress who will copy an item I have that fits beautifully but is the wrong colour (with a 10% discount)

I think that £90 is good value.

PM me if you want her name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now