Talk

Advanced search

After a day in central London I have come to the conclusion that MUM boots are in fact biker boots!

(10 Posts)
daisydoodoo Fri 19-Oct-12 10:45:49

All the hip young things(yes i know i sound about 100yrs old) were wearing what has been described s mum boots here. Many many pairs exactly like the m&s ones, some a bit funkier with chunky gold zips or studs, but all MUM boot style.

I've just spent a few days in Central London for work and enjoyed my tube journeys for the people watching.

I think someone on another thread said the definition of a MUM boot is something that was in high fashion about 3-5 years ago and so suburban mums are just picking up on it. So having looked at the school gates and see that nearly everyone (myself included blush) were wearing boots of a biker style, chunky soled, buckled, maybe slouchy if taller than ankle height boots. I therefore declare biker boots this seasons MUM boots!

daisydoodoo Fri 19-Oct-12 10:49:20

these
www.clarks.co.uk/p/20352538

and these

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20352292

and

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20351507

rather embarrasingly links to all three are ones that i own.

SparkyTGD Fri 19-Oct-12 10:53:27

TBH, anything from Clarks is never going to be cutting edge fashion grin

I like Clarks shoes/boots but my trendier city-dwelling sis laughs when I say I've seen some nice boots/shoes in Clarks. They might stock slightly fashionable stuff but its still generally for people who want sensible/comfortable shoes.

Also the 'mum-boot' thing I think is a lot to do with what you wear it with.

daisydoodoo Fri 19-Oct-12 11:10:32

i did know i wasnt cutting edge, I usually wear heels to work, but in a more casula office now so converted to little dresses, thick tights, chunky cardigan and oots type outfits, to feel rather mumsy about myself. Might just go back to more formal office wear and heels for work time and the mumsy look for being mumsy wink

PerryCombover Fri 19-Oct-12 11:11:31

yy i know what you mean about biker boots; all mums I see are wearing biker or fly boots
i was told my lovely pistols are mum boots (still hurts)

i thought the idea of what mum boots are - aren't what mums are wearing but rather what they wear that is old ubiquitous fashion or blah non fashion in the first place
thus all the grim marks boots or skinnies into riding boots brigade remarks

dexter73 Fri 19-Oct-12 14:49:00

I love Clarks boots/shoes. I have big wide feet and with Clarks I am pretty much guaranteed that I can put on a new pair, wear them all day and my feet will be comfortable. I have given up trying to squeeze my plates into shoes that are too small.

MerylStrop Fri 19-Oct-12 14:53:24

oh yy deffo

RayofSun Fri 19-Oct-12 19:53:01

Completely agree with you op! Was thinking the same for ages but figured Iidt be missing the point!

MaureenCognito Sun 21-Oct-12 07:21:22

Yep. Agree. And are so unflattering.

lizzybennet Sun 21-Oct-12 10:12:53

I agree. Fly boots and biker style boots are def the new mum boots, as are knee length boots worn with jeans tucked in. Pistol boots are most def not mum boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now